We ARE NOT Wisconsin

Andersen just got fired at Oregon State. BB is not far behind. Pretty clear who is responsible for all that success.

Josh you have it right that Barry Alvarez has proven the game changer for Wisconsin. Barta in many ways comes off as kind of a boob but he seems the product of a culture among the movers and shakers at Iowa that doesn't really care that much about winning and losing as long as the revenues keep flowing. No other way to explain Barta carrying on smartly after we lost the lawsuits this summer. The power brokers IMO beyond the revenues want the integrity of the university maintained and things kept above board.

Within that framework Kirk has served us pretty well and beyond him we just have to hope that the stars align and we get a guy who fits the culture and wins and keeps us as competitive as we would like. That accounts for why I see hope with Brian who has a more aggressive personality than his dad but will stand for some of the same things Kirk does as far as the student athlete part of it goes. Somebody else could fit that role too but we have him waiting in the wings and reality says we likely will go in that direction.

I have Wisconsin-envy. Basketball and football. For like 2 decades now. Not happy about it. Keep waiting and waiting for them to fall off, or be like 'us', but they keep dominating, and we are up and down with nothing really sustained.

They at least go after great players....Ferments goes after nice stories. Tired of this shit....if you dressed up 50 Iowa players and 50 players from any Top 10 team in the same uniform, I would bet anyone $1000 that I could tell you which of the two (2) schools they went to with 95% accuracy...we always appear as plodding and unathletic looking....and when the game starts, all doubt is actually removed. You can't compete on the national scale by continually trying to get by on coaching up 2 Star nice stories.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/recruiting/19-omaha-burke-lb-nick-henrich-sees-hawkeyes

Fry owned Wisconsin because we got our offensive line from there. Barry shut down the offensive line connection and kept the boys home. Believe they make two great things in Wisconsin, cheese and huge offensive lineman. Iowa has to make their lineman now.

The thing that gets me is that Wisky can change coaches in football and shooty hoops and not miss a beat. They consistently win and contend for titles. Wonder if that'll continue once Barry A moves to the old folks home?

They at least go after great players....Ferments goes after nice stories. Tired of this shit....if you dressed up 50 Iowa players and 50 players from any Top 10 team in the same uniform, I would bet anyone $1000 that I could tell you which of the two (2) schools they went to with 95% accuracy...we always appear as plodding and unathletic looking....and when the game starts, all doubt is actually removed. You can't compete on the national scale by continually trying to get by on coaching up 2 Star nice stories.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/recruiting/19-omaha-burke-lb-nick-henrich-sees-hawkeyes

Are you using a LB story to make your point? Maybe not the best position to use.

Find some joy, somehow.

The thing that gets me is that Wisky can change coaches in football and shooty hoops and not miss a beat. They consistently win and contend for titles. Wonder if that'll continue once Barry A moves to the old folks home?

It is pretty remarkable, and enviable.

It's the cheese...
blessed_are_the_cheesemakers_apron_dark.jpg

Barry is successful as an AD because...

He is the best AD ever, talented, with a nationwide network to influence recruiting.

He is the luckiest AD ever, along with the luckiest program.

He has a "system" in place to out-recruit Iowa, that is perhaps crooked/dirty, yet hasn't been detected.

He knows how to win, wants to win, and stands for nothing less.

He knows how to hire people and doesn't sit on average for decades.

An annual trip to a septic bowl is seen as a failure, not a reason to give raises, contract extensions, and kudos.

He is successful because he was influenced by Hayden Fry and other mentors.

Nick is actually rated higher (0.8333) now as a high school junior than a current Hawkeye who was a 2-star (0.7783) as a high school senior. But we shouldn't recruit those guys. Oh, the 2-star? It's Josie Jewell. I'd say he's above average.

You really have to get past the hate.

Much better schemes, much better coaching at Wisconsin . That’s the difference between the 2
That still doesn't explain why they can go through all the HC changes in FB and BB and still be contenders in both sports. We've seen the turmoil that Michigan has gone through with all their 4 and 5 star players. But Wisky, with half the recruiting ground of tOSU and Michigan doesn't miss a beat.

Last edited:
Much better schemes, much better coaching at Wisconsin . That’s the difference between the 2

Not really. They just take advantage of every opportunity, every break, every time their schedule is favorable. For Iowa everything is a grind, everything is a struggle, there is just no margin for error. Hornibrook doesn't have to play well for Wisconsin to be successful. Stanley has to be damn near flawless.

Latest posts