We are better than Coppin State

If both redshirt, won't that be 6 in the '16 class?

Yep. But with woody, uthoff, gessel, and Clemmons all graduating there should be openings and healthy competition. This year there's just not enough minutes to go to all the freshmen.

I tend to agree and also think we could see a change in lineup as the coaches continue to mix and match. In the end I believe main rotations it will be as follows with Fleming also getting spot minutes.

Gesell / Clemmons / Williams
Jok / Ellingson / Clemmons
Uthoff / Uhl / Jok
Uhl / Jones / Baer
Woodbury / Wagner /Uhl

Coppin State is bad but I was impressed with Uhl, Jones, Wagner, and Ellingson. With Uhl and Jones you have athletic 6'8 players who can step out and knock down 3's, and Wagner is a beast on the glass and can run the floor. Add in a shooter in Ellingson and I think there is enough depth there along with our top 5 guys.

Again, I think ultimately Uhl will become a starter with Clemmons leading the 2nd unit, assuming Jok is healthy.

I'll be in Milwaukee Thursday night to see this team in person. Go Hawks!

Three guesses on whose stat-line read as follows:

8 minutes played
3 fouls
2 points
1 turnover

...and for good measure, got the foul way before the one basket....

I think Uhl got the message. Playing aggressive and scoring like crazy. 18 points so far.
I got a huge laugh out of people blaming Doms sluggish start to the season on a Basabe like weight gain. The extra weight is not what slowed down Mel or Dom. I think his performance yesterday backs that up.

Of the newcomers, I see Ellingson, Wagner and Jones as having the best chance to make a real contribution this season. I can't say I saw much from the rest of the new guys.

This team will have to knock down 3s at a better clip than any Fran team yet IMHO. They have some shooters though. Defense would be perhaps the biggest concern for me right now but I think they'll keep learning. It would have been nice if Fran could have found one more JUCO/Transfer player that could help immediately this year, as other posters have indicated we are going to be Frosh/Sophs loaded next year.
I have like Ellingson's "feel" for the game since I saw his High School video someone posted on here. He just has a knack for knowing where to be at the right time and can finish around the basket way better than people would give him credit for just looking at him. I thought Fleming looked really slow of foot, he is going to have to get quicker if he wants to see much playing time.

Do Moss and/or Hutton stick around for next year?

Why wouldn't they? What a silly question.

Y'all need to calm down. The Augustana game meant precisely nothing. It was an opportunity to experiment. When the games got real the Hawks kicked *ss. This team will continue to improve as the newcomers settle in and get more comfortable with their roles.

Iowa is a LOCK for the NCAA tournament... mark it on your calendars.

This team will have to knock down 3s at a better clip than any Fran team yet IMHO. They have some shooters though. Defense would be perhaps the biggest concern for me right now but I think they'll keep learning. It would have been nice if Fran could have found one more JUCO/Transfer player that could help immediately this year, as other posters have indicated we are going to be Frosh/Sophs loaded next year.
I have like Ellingson's "feel" for the game since I saw his High School video someone posted on here. He just has a knack for knowing where to be at the right time and can finish around the basket way better than people would give him credit for just looking at him. I thought Fleming looked really slow of foot, he is going to have to get quicker if he wants to see much playing time.

I got a different view of Fleming. To me he looked really bad and really promising. Kinda a weird combination but it looked like he has the game and confidence to be good. He just needs to adjust to the speed of the game.

Last edited:
Fleming does not lack confidence at all. He is a decent shooter too. IMO he just looks a little heavy in the feet right now to keep up. Another year of working with our S & C team will make him more explosive, so he should get there.

Fleming does not lack confidence at all. He is a decent shooter too. IMO he just looks a little heavy in the feet right now to keep up. Another year of working with our S & C team will make him more explosive, so he should get there.

hopefully his explosiveness will improve more than Woodbury's has in 4 seasons.

hopefully his explosiveness will improve more than Woodbury's has in 4 seasons.

This far not much to talk about with Woody but maybe he will come around and be more of an offensive threat.

I watched both games and the first game wasn't pretty. In fact after that game I thought to myself well at least we have a football team to watch. Then I watched the second game and saw a much better Iowa team that was playing a more cohesive type of play on both ends of the floor.

If Iowa can continue to make improvements like that going forward then this team has tremendous possibilities to be very good.

Latest posts