Way too early 2010 College Football Predictions

SteveDeace

I was looking some stuff over for the radio show this morning, trying to come up with some way, way, way, way too early college football predictions for next year. Let me know what you guys think.

Top 25 (based on how I think the regular season will end next December)

1. Boise State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Georgia Tech
7. Iowa
8. Texas
9. Miami, Fla.
10. TCU
11. North Carolina
12. Oregon State
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Oklahoma
16. Virginia Tech
17. Connecticut
18. Missouri
19. Arkansas
20. Florida State
21. West Virginia
22. Texas Tech
23. Houston
24. Wisconsin
25. Arizona

Big Ten Standings

1. Iowa
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. Michigan State
7. Purdue
8. Northwestern
9. Illinois
10. Indiana
11. Minnesota

BCS National Championship—Oregon vs. Boise State
Rose Bowl—USC vs. Iowa
Fiesta Bowl—Texas vs. Miami, Fla.
Sugar Bowl—Alabama vs. Ohio State
Orange Bowl—Georgia Tech vs. Connecticut
Capitol One Bowl—Florida vs. Wisconsin
Outback Bowl—Arkansas vs. Michigan
Gator Bowl—Penn State vs. Virginia Tech
Insight Bowl—Missouri vs. Michigan State
Texas Bowl—Iowa State vs. Purdue
Dallas Football Classic—Northwestern vs. SMU

Before anyone asks, I have Ohio State spending most of the regular season ranked No. 1 after beating Miami at home, but losing on November 20th at Iowa for its only loss. I have the Hawkeyes losing at Arizona and at Michigan to finish in a technical tie with the Buckeyes at 7-1 in the league, but since Iowa won the head-to-head they would get the Rose Bowl bid. So yes, I have Iowa beating undefeated and #1 Ohio State at home in that game. The Sugar Bowl is first in next year's BCS picking order, and I have them taking Ohio State. I believe Boise State will be the only undefeated team at the end of the season.

Again...these are very preliminary...and based on guess-work of who will go pro early. For discussion purposes only. :)

Last edited:
I was looking some stuff over for the radio show this morning, trying to come up with some way, way, way, way too early college football predictions for next year. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Boise State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Georgia Tech
7. Iowa
8. Texas
9. Miami, Fla.
10. TCU
11. North Carolina
12. Oregon State
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Oklahoma
16. Virginia Tech
17. Connecticut
18. Missouri
19. Arkansas
20. Florida State
21. West Virginia
22. Texas Tech
23. Houston
24. Wisconsin
25. Arizona

Big Ten Standings

1. Iowa
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. Michigan State
7. Purdue
8. Northwestern
9. Illinois
10. Indiana
11. Minnesota

Rose Bowl—USC vs. Iowa

Oregon will lose in week 2. They are @ TN and will not win. They also play @ USC, Cal, and Oregon St.

I also think Boise St doesnt beat Oregon St and VTech, they will lose to one of them play them in back to back weeks.

1. Boise State
2. Oregon
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Georgia Tech
7. Iowa
8. Texas
9. Miami, Fla.
10. TCU
11. North Carolina
12. Oregon State
13. South Carolina
14. Florida
15. Oklahoma
16. Virginia Tech
17. Connecticut
18. Missouri
19. Arkansas
20. Florida State
21. West Virginia
22. Texas Tech
23. Houston
24. Wisconsin
25. Arizona

Big Ten Standings

1. Iowa
2. Ohio State
3. Wisconsin
4. Michigan
5. Penn State
6. Michigan State
7. Purdue
8. Northwestern
9. Illinois
10. Indiana
11. Minnesota

Rose Bowl—USC vs. Iowa

Before anyone asks, I have Ohio State spending most of the regular season ranked No. 1 after beating Miami at home, but losing on November 20th at Iowa for its only loss. I have the Hawkeyes losing at Arizona and at Michigan to finish in a technical tie with the Buckeyes at 7-1 in the league, but since Iowa won the head-to-head they would get the Rose Bowl bid. So yes, I have Iowa beating undefeated and #1 Ohio State at home in that game. The Sugar Bowl is first in next year's BCS picking order, and I have them taking Ohio State. I believe Boise State will be the only undefeated team at the end of the season.

Again...these are very preliminary...and based on guess-work of who will go pro early. For discussion purposes only. :)

I think Miami has a lot more talent than Ohio State (at least on offense) so I think Da U wins that game. The Canes were young and inconsistent this year, that should change next year. I think think they play for the national title and Jacory Harris wins the Heisman. And I think they will play the Hawks for the title if Iowa does not slip up at Arizona (Michigan doesn't scare me next year, they're still a couple years away in my opinion).

They're not going to start the season ranked #1. These predictions are for the end of next year's season. I have to agree with the prediction of losing at Arizona. That's going to be tough sleddin' for the Hawks.

If Boise is undefeated next year they will be in the title game. They lose one starter, on defense. Entire offense returns. Oregon returns 20 starters

I'd sign up for this right now :). Though Arizona returns just four starters on defense. Bulaga and Richardon decisions are the difference between another very good Iowa team and one that might have it's best on paper shot at a national title in a long long time

A lot can happen between now and December of next year.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is Boise State will not be ranked no. 1 at the end of next season. I don't know what their schedule is for 2010, but my guess it will not be strong enough to warrant a number one ranking by going undefeated.

Another thing I'm pretty sure of is at least 15 teams in your ranking will be somewhere in the top 25 come next December.

As for Iowa I will wait until after spring football to make a predicition on their won-loss record and a final ranking. I think it's a safe bet Iowa will finish somewhere in the top 25 next December. Just not sure where at this early point in time.

If Boise is undefeated next year they will be in the title game. They lose one starter, on defense. Entire offense returns. Oregon returns 20 starters

I'd sign up for this right now :). Though Arizona returns just four starters on defense. Bulaga and Richardon decisions are the difference between another very good Iowa team and one that might have it's best on paper shot at a national title in a long long time

Jon,

It might be a longshot, but if Bulaga, Richardson and Spievey all return next year, what would your prediction be for Iowa. Do you think they would go 12-0 and play for a national championship?

I can dream, can't I:)

Don't you think if TCU beats Boise in the Fiesta, people won't give them that much credit going into next year?

Also, I have a hard time thinking they can beat Oregon St and VTU on back to back weeks. Does VTU lose their QB though?

If our offense and QB play doesn't make big strides, I don't see us winning more than 10 games next year, if it does who knows?

With Arizona losing 7 on defense next year and not being real physical up front on offense, I just don't see them beating us. This group of guys has proven they can win on the road.

Unless they move the start of the season to December, I'd have to agree with ih20 on this one...oh, and since Steve also mentioned it in his post...

Yeah, Michigan doesn't scare me much I think Steve's picking with his heart. Pretty sure they will have a new starter at QB too. Even with their phenom coming in, I still like Iowa's chances. Michigan will suck again next year.

I just don't know that pollsters would put Boise at #1. Also I think they will lose to Va Tech. I'm glad to see them playing some good OOC teams next year. I realize they played Oregon this year, and that is good, but outside of Oregon it was a joke of a non-conf schedule.

I just don't know that pollsters would put Boise at #1. Also I think they will lose to Va Tech. I'm glad to see them playing some good OOC teams next year. I realize they played Oregon this year, and that is good, but outside of Oregon it was a joke of a non-conf schedule.

Unfortunately for BSU, it was also a joke of a conference schedule as well.

The Michigan game worries me, A LOT. They were not good this year, and Iowa barely beat them at home. Their schemes seem to be a problem for Iowa. I think playing Arizona early is going to be an advantage for Iowa, especially if Bulaga and Dace are back.

I don't want Spievey to leave, obviously, but I think our secondary is as good or better next year with or without Amari. I think Bernstein and Prater will be very, very good at corner, and our safeties are back. Defensively Iowa should absolutely dominate every Saturday.

Did like what I saw in Deace's Waaaaay too early rankings, in that, he had Wisconsin barely in the Top25.

TSN had Wisconsin ranked pre-season ahead of the Hawkeyes. Barry Alvarez must work for them, at TSN. Because that is laughable.

Ga Tech will not be as good, next year, especially losing Morgan on defense and their RB.