Watching the ISU coaches show...interesting thing Rhoads said

HaydenHawk56

"Fortunately, Iowa did the smart thing and kick the fg on 4th and 1 and that put us in the position with the opportunity to win the game."

I took that as thank you Ferentz for kicking the field goal and letting my offense get back on the field where we are going to put it into the endzone to end this game.

After Ferentz's show, he is sticking to the story Iowa goes into the 2 minute offense if they cross the 30 yard line. I guess the 2 minute offense works better from the 30 as opposed to the 20.

Last edited:
Yeah .. I bet Rhoads was happy with that decision ... If Vandy can't fall forward for 1 yard then we don't deserve to win ... Spot on ... we put the ball back in their hands to win the game and handed over control of the wheel. ... As for the end of regulation ... The way Meyers was kicking it's not like we had to get down to the ISU 10 yard line. A couple of out passes and maybe something over the middle and before you know it -- we are within Meyers' range ... If Vandy tosses an interception ... then so be it ... At least we went for it ...

Iowa is easy to scout, that's for sure. That goes for both the style of play and the coaching tendencies.

Iowa is easy to scout, that's for sure. That goes for both the style of play and the coaching tendencies.

I remember when Anthony Gonzalez said that Iowa's defense was so predicatable and they matched him up against our linebackers in the slot. I think he went off for 2 TD's that game.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzoYfSR0dIo[/ame]

Last edited:
Few if any teams in the country would have kicked a field goal in that point of the game. Iowa coaches could think of nothing else...going for 4th and one is far too dangerous and risky for Iowa's coaches to even comprehend. What was the difference between getting three and turning the ball over? They gave the game away...AGAIN by not trusting their offense. Think this offense is going to have much trust in itself? The coaches don't have any trust in them, so why should the offensive players?

Lack of Trust? So we don't do a 2 min drill...how'd that work out. The offense still has to take the field in OT. They can't just sit on the sideline. You reap what you sow...if you have no guts you get no glory.

It would be interesting to see what our OT record is under Ferentz. I'm sure its about middle of the road. Just like his success against teams they should beat. The philosophy is good....but only at times. You have to know when to use it and when to dump it in the trash.

And once again, everybody else can see what should have been done.....other than us.

The lack of trust is because the offense is not very good

really?? they looked good in the 4th quarter and OT. A lack of trust to get a yard max for a coach whos an oline expert?? The lack of trust should have been with the defense that couldnt stop a flag football team.

The people that are saying we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 there aren't very bright. 9/10 coaches are kicking there.

I remember when Anthony Gonzalez said that Iowa's defense was so predicatable and they matched him up against our linebackers in the slot. I think he went off for 2 TD's that game.

Anthony Gonzalez Play of the Week vs Iowa - YouTube

That video is a pretty weak argument, IMHO. If you watch that and freeze it at the moment he catches the pass, Iowa has it defended exactly the way they want. We have probably no fewer than 6 guys (I didn't count, just guesstimating) between the WR and the endzone (edit - actually, freeze it at 0:15...not many WRs are going to extricate themselves from that situation. Shada helps him out with an overly aggressive angle). From there, it's lousy execution on our part (missed tackles/bad angles) and really good vision/athleticism on the WR's part (and the added benefit of a couple good downfield blocks).

Last edited:
I think the offense is very good this year. The last part of that game was a full fledged shoot out, how many of those do we get into? Its all about our defense, they aren't playing well and imho, not that talented.

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but after the penalty that left 4th & 1 at the very least why not run the offense out there and set up like you're QB sneaking and try to hard count the defense offsides? If they don't jump we can call timeout and still kick the FG. I usually don't have a problem with KF's conservativeness in many games, but in this game he failed to see how the game was playing out and to realize this defense was not going to stop ISU. He needs to adapt to each game and how it is/has played out. 100% agree we needed to take a shot at the end of the 4th.

The people that are saying we should have gone for it on 4th and 1 there aren't very bright. 9/10 coaches are kicking there.

The decision is based on the situation. Iowa was on the road and had been unable to stop the ISU offense. Why not going for it there? It's 1 yard and Vandenberg and the O-line has already proven this year they can get over a yard on QB sneaks. Even if we get stopped short, the defense still gets a shot to stop the offense. If you are playing at home with a salty defense in that situation, then you kick. On the road with a porous defense, go for it.

I think our coaching staff needs more dawgs...
Bennett Presser: Act more like dogs - YouTube

And if Iowa doesn't get the 1st down when it was 4th and 1, game is over regardless.

I don't think this argument is as open and shut as some see it.

99% of those arguing to go for it on 4th and 1 would have been on here complaining that Ferentz didn't kick the FG.

And if Iowa doesn't get the 1st down when it was 4th and 1, game is over regardless.

I don't think this argument is as open and shut as some see it.

99% of those arguing to go for it on 4th and 1 would have been on here complaining that Ferentz didn't kick the FG.

Yup. I'm not going to continue to argue with the naysayers.

Latest posts