Watching the CFP Natty game.....

Reminds me of how far away we are from competing with either one of those teams. Wow, are there some playmakers out there or what! I love my Hawks, I really do, but its obvious that none of our receivers or backs would even make either of their practice squads.

and a lot of them are true freshmen...

It is unbelievable. I haven't heard them talk about it, so forgive me if they have, but if that Lawrence kid was able to be eligible for the draft he would have to be the first quarterback taken if not the first overall pick. And those receivers. You could really make a case for Clemson players going about 1-5 or 6.

Clemson won this game on signing day 2017. Kudos to Dabo. I just hope the fireworks stop at a reasonable hour tonight.

Clemsons D has just unloaded the bag of blitzes on Alabama, to great success.
Attention Phil Parker....base D does not fricken work against good opponents.

You are absolutely right. That D coordinator for Clemson, and really the Alabama guy too to no success, really mixed a lot of looks up like NFL teams do. I too would like to see us mix some things up from time to time, however, I think we do what we do because our base defense will be effective against average to below average teams, as they don't have the players or the discipline to take the underneath stuff and be patient. However, it does not work against above average teams or great teams because they just pick us apart.

You are absolutely right. That D coordinator for Clemson, and really the Alabama guy too to no success, really mixed a lot of looks up like NFL teams do. I too would like to see us mix some things up from time to time, however, I think we do what we do because our base defense will be effective against average to below average teams, as they don't have the players or the discipline to take the underneath stuff and be patient. However, it does not work against above average teams or great teams because they just pick us apart.
Even with what by our standards is a really solid defensive line, we just don't have the horses to get the level of pressure Clemson does with just 4 or one extra guy. And they were freaking playing without arguably their best d-lineman. That team is ridiculously stacked.

While watching tonights Championship Game I realized that we will never be able to compete at this level. These two teams run at a speed at least a few levels above ours. Did anyone see the post game interview with Dabo? I mean the attitude that guy has is a winning attitude with no shame. I tried to imagine an alternate universe were we won the national title and Kirk giving a post game on field interview and it obviously would be quite the opposite.

As others have said I don't think Iowa will ever be able to compete on this level. There was a time when I during the 2000's that I thought Kirk was bringing us closer to National Championship competitiveness but things change. College Football has changed and I want to say that Kirk has changed as well, just not in the same direction of schools that try to compete for the top echelon of college football.

Yeah, we’re so far away from that kind of competitiveness that it’s sickening and frustrating. We have MAYBE a starter or two that would be 3rd string on one of those teams, but that’s it.

Frankly, it all comes down to recruiting. And you’re not going to win with walk ons that become starters, etc. Hell, we can’t even win the B1G West when it’s weak with an easy schedule.

That’s the one thing that I hate about watching bigger bowl games and the NC, I always find myself comparing them to Iowa, and it’s saddening knowing that we’re not even in the same universe as them, and I’ll never ever see Iowa even sniff a NC by the time I’m gone.

Guys the same can be said for 97% of the teams in the NCAA.

Theres been an advantage recruiting in the south for some time now. If Urban Meyer at Ohio State and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan arent able to out recruit Clemson or Alabama, do you really believe there is a coach out there that can come to iowa and change that trend?

College sports aren't like pro sports, where the best teams get the toughest schedules and the end of the round draft picks. The rich get richer in college. They can control their non con schedules. If we ever got to a CFP what you saw last night is what you would be facing.

College teams can stack talent just to prevent other teams from having it. There were players in the Wooden UCLA dynasty who were spear carriers in college who went on to have ten year NBA careers, like Swen Nater.

That said, even the Wooden dynasty eventually ended. Alabama and Clemson dominance will too, when Saban and Swinney retire or move on, and someone else will rise up and take their place.

Reminds me of how far away we are from competing with either one of those teams. Wow, are there some playmakers out there or what! I love my Hawks, I really do, but its obvious that none of our receivers or backs would even make either of their practice squads.
Have said for years. Kf not only doesn’t recruit the level of skill players needed to compete at even the b10 level, he doesn’t play the style either. It is what it is with this guy folks

Theres been an advantage recruiting in the south for some time now. If Urban Meyer at Ohio State and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan arent able to out recruit Clemson or Alabama, do you really believe there is a coach out there that can come to iowa and change that trend?
This is where i get pissy about the whole topic. Similar to Davis. So just give up trying and accept your place in the world or go down fighting? Latter for me

Why not try? Oh because we are poor little Iowa? We've been lulled into that thinking by KF and crew over the years. We aren't even competing for a West division title, is that too much to ask as well?

This is where i get pissy about the whole topic. Similar to Davis. So just give up trying and accept your place in the world or go down fighting? Latter for me

This is the kind of attitude that ruined the basketball program. Tom Davis had us in the NCAA tournament almost every year, winning 20+ games was the expectations now it's the hope. Davis was let go because of idiot fans (and I was among them) who thought Iowa should be able to compete at the next level, so they brought in Alford and the rest is history.

Appreciate what you have, Iowa has a good football program where every year they reach a bowl game and about every 4 years or so make a run at the Big Ten. I'll be the first to admit this year should have been better and that's on the coaches but I'm not about to make huge coaching changes. Iowa will NEVER be able to compete with the southern schools in terms of recruiting, Nick Saban himself couldn't bring the athletes to Iowa that he gets at Alabama. You have to get a coach that can find the diamonds in the rough, the overlooked kids, and take those 2/3 star athletes and turn them into NFL prospects and that's exactly what we have in KF. They ARE fighting, you just don't see it because you're to blind to see what they are doing.

So if KF and Iowa does not meet your expectations then I'd suggest you hop on the Clemson/Alabama bandwagon, or any of those other southern schools that can compete in the recruiting game.

The talent gap is one thing that Iowa will never come close to closing. The coaching; blitzing defenses, the variety of play calling was mind boggling. I hope the Iowa coaches learned something tonight.

The talent gap is one thing that Iowa will never come close to closing. The coaching; blitzing defenses, the variety of play calling was mind boggling. I hope the Iowa coaches learned something tonight.

We all hope they did learn something, but we all know they didn’t.. or won’t implement it.

Latest posts