Watching North Carolina lose at home...

FreddyBrown

...is such a pleasure! Tony Bennet's UVa team is doing the honors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Iowa was the first visiting team to win in the Dean Dome. What a game that was!

Va. was impressive. Bennett inherited some nice talent at Va...brought in by Dave Letiao,I presume. Where is he coaching at now?

I don't know if FB has an intimate relationship with Bennett or not,none of my business, but as a casual observer, I can see where he would be lovestruck by the Va. performance at UNC last nite. They have great athletes,who play disciplined but fun bb. Not much to not like,ya know?

FB - you love Bennett, don't you?

I wouldn't go that far (even in the platonic sports sense!), but he sure seems to have the stuff to be successful in the business for a long time to come. I also like the fact that, at least based on what I saw last night, he's not playing the very deliberate style he was known for by association with his father and from his days at Wazoo.

I think he has some nice players but these are not guys that struck fear into the hearts of any ACC coach coming into the season. Without a doubt, part of what we're seeing here is the immediate impact of a very good coach on a program that was muddling along before he arrived.

Of course it doesn't matter now what any Iowa fan thinks of Bennett. By choosing UVa he's put himself on a career path where if he succeeds and wants to move up again, his next move would be well above Iowa. If he doesn't sustain success at UVa, he probably wouldn't be an attractive candidate for any opening at Iowa.

Does anyone recall whether Bennett's name was ever even the subject of speculation when the Iowa job last opened? I do understand from last night's announcers and previous stories that Bennett spurned interest from a number of good jobs (including LSU) before taking UVa. I seem to recall he was a topic of discussion for the IU job at one time.
I actually think the UVA job was kind of an odd choice for him. No one has really sustained big time success there over the long haul, at least outside of Ralph Sampson's career.

Maybe he shouldn't be ruled out as a Big Ten guy again some day, considering that his father coached Wiscy to the FF and I believe Tony was an assistant then.

Va is an attractive job. Brand new on campus fieldhouse, beautiful campus, Va. is full of talent, and the ACC is a good bb conference.