Watching Me Some Ballin Tonight

Watching the game now Keegan is playing like he wants this season to be his last. Last year I compared him to Grant Hill, I’m not backing off that one bit. Maybe he ends up with a better career. Man I’m honestly wishing Conner would concentrate on baseball. I think he’s gonna wreck his body playing basketball. Hate to see him lose his baseball chance as he really is the odd man out with the freshman looking as good as he has. The guard/small forward position is just bloated with talent.

What is Ash doing out there when we need to get other players minutes? Jordan looks great and playing the off guard. He’s going to have a monster year. Patrick’s had a up and down night but he is really playing defense and running the court. Toussaint is playing intense defense. Sandfort is gonna be a star.

Good win. Blew out a cream puff, played a deep rotation, and came away injury free (assuming Connor's ankle is only a minor hurdle).

Longwood came out and really competed for 40 minutes. Give them props, not all low major type teams do that in these situations, but Iowa matched the intensity level and dominated like they should.

Important to resist the temptation to try to extrapolate too much from such a lopsided affair but, while trying to keep that in mind, some observations...

- I like the idea of Connor as unofficial 2nd unit captain. I think that's a great role for him and, with all the inexperienced guys out there, he could be a real steadying influence.

- Keegan did nothing to dissuade me from my belief this will be his last year in an Iowa uniform. He's got the biggest upside of any player in the Fran era, IMO.

- Kris showed me some stuff tonight. I admit I was a bit skeptical because he was really Nowhere Man last year, but I have found a spark of hope that he can really help us out this year.

- Super proud of Joe T. There was a point last season I really thought he was done as a Hawkeye - either a transfer or just a guy who it was never going to click for. He really turned it on at the end of last season and I hope what we saw tonight indicates he's grown over the off-season. I love what he brings defensively and shows every sign that he's finally got his head on straight on the offensive end. He could be a really key player for us.

- Rebraca looks like a great pickup. Tiny sample set, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath for a lot of scoring from him, but I really liked what I saw of him physically. He moves really well and hopefully can bang a bit too. This isn't a super big and beefy team, so I'm hoping Rebraca can give us a much needed dose of physicality on the D end and on the glass as we move into league play.

- Bohannon is still Bohannon. Great shooter, but will continue to be a defensive liability. I think he's going to be able to settle in full time as a 2 guard and I have hope that our overall team defense is in a place this where we can do some things to mitigate against situations where Jordan's asked to do too much defensively on the perimeter. Major "plus" player on O, great to have him back.

- I think I'm perhaps not quite as sold on Patrick as some are. I think his general athleticism is very good and that'll come in handy given our fast break and press style of play. In that sense, I do get why he's out there. In a half court set though, he looks a bit awkward to me. Not a lights out shooter, doesn't have the handles to get his own shot, nor does he have the body and back to the basket skillset to play down low. I suppose that's all OK - with Keegan and Jordan out there carrying the scoring load, hopefully that allows Patrick to settle into a role that lets him play to his strengths.

- Perkins I thought looked a little pressed tonight. He showed us last year he can play. I think he'll settle down and find a nice spot in the rotation.

I really hope the rotation comes together in such a way to let Mulvey redshirt. I am all for getting him some early season minutes but, where he's at physically right now, I would be really scared to see him against P5 competition.

Starting 5 feels right to me - Joe, Jordan, Keegan, Patrick, Filip. I'd roll with that to get started, I think. I think it would be prudent to keep expectations reasonable, but I think Fran has some good set pieces to build around this year and hopefully put together a rotation that allows us to compete in the Big Ten.

I would say the future is bright, but I tend to agree that Keegan is positioning himself for the next step.........and the defense wasn't bad, at least based on the box score, but yeah, Longwood may not be that great, either

JBO looked great, as it appears he is just going to let it rip from deep this year...Sandfort is already a baller, just seems to have "it"...a full game of complimentary tools in that box...

JBo did look great, but he's done that historically against lesser competition. When we get against good defensive teams that really press him is when he has struggled in the past. Hopefully not having to handle the ball all game takes pressure off him and he can focus on being a shooter - hoping for great things from him this year!

JBo did look great, but he's done that historically against lesser competition. When we get against good defensive teams that really press him is when he has struggled in the past. Hopefully not having to handle the ball all game takes pressure off him and he can focus on being a shooter - hoping for great things from him this year!

Last year he started off 3-14 shooting the 3 against NC Central, Southern, and Western Ill. He didn't really break out until the North Carolina game (7-16 from 3).

I'm probably reading too much into someone that was having a good shooting night but JB looked motivated, like he's got something to prove. I know the competition isn't shit and not to read too much into a game against Longwood but it's encouraging to see a long range shooter get off to a good start.

Last edited:
At the risk of re-starting the endless JBo debates from last season...I don't think the Bohannon of yore ever really went anywhere. Last year he was on a roster with, literally, the greatest player in program history (who led the universe in scoring) and Wieskamp (who, if not for Garza, would have been our #1 scoring option). That left Bohannon as, at best, 3rd option to begin with. You then have to factor in that, offensively, there was nothing that Bohannon could do that CJ couldn't also do, so Bohannon was more like, again, at best, tied for 3rd scoring option. But people seemed to keep waiting for him to have these hero performances. With that roster, if you needed a hero performance out of Bohannon, something had gone horribly wrong.

If you look at the stats, although his scoring volume was down, Bohannon was a highly effective player for us last year (on the offensive end, at least :cool:).

I won't be at all surprised to see the Bohannon of yore reappear. It'll be hailed by many as a comeback story, but it really isn't. More like a story of changed circumstances.

The Twins will carry the first and second teams this season

We can't depend on the centers for scoring, Rebraca and especially Mulvay

We will need JoahO in the game

Love to watch Ulis and Perkins on D, they are relentless

If like last season we can utilize the reserves and maintain the same lead we will
be doing very well

Sandfort is going to be very good. He is active, confident, and capable of scoring,
and will be a worthy complement to the team

Admittedly this was against a massive lower-tier team, but we can see a glimpse
what the future holds

And: Jordan the Assassin

It's All Good

He is in street clothes
We're gonna need him. We're going to need a wide body who can give some fouls and rough some people up. We will see Cockburn, Travian Willams and Trayce Jackson-Davis, among others when league play comes up. Dickerson from Michigan, you gonna put Rebraca or one of the Murray's or (gulp) PMac on those guys?

Gonna be playing a ton of zone this year

The Twins will carry the first and second teams this season

We can't depend on the centers for scoring, Rebraca and especially Mulvay

We will need JoahO in the game

Love to watch Ulis and Perkins on D, they are relentless

If like last season we can utilize the reserves and maintain the same lead we will
be doing very well

Sandfort is going to be very good. He is active, confident, and capable of scoring,
and will be a worthy complement to the team

Admittedly this was against a massive lower-tier team, but we can see a glimpse
what the future holds

And: Jordan the Assassin

It's All Good
And, our three big guys provide us with 15 fouls. Just sayin’.

I didn't hear why Josh was in street clothes anyone know? This team has a very high ceiling they won't reach until next year most likely, but I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

Latest posts