Watching Me Some Ballin Tonight

Northside Hawk

Choice right now of OSU/Akron or Indiana/Eastern Michigan.

Jason Benetti and Jon Crispin doing the Buckeye game and I still can't get over just how much Crispin's voice sounds like Dan Dakich!

I watched some of the Indiana game and am currently watching parts of the Illinois game.

Already bored with what appears to be street ball. Pass it around the perimeter until one player decides to play one on one and try to back the defender down closer to the basket then go up for the shot. Like I said street ball. Once upon a time teams had set plays that were meant to break down a teams defense and leave a player wide up for a 12-15 foot shot or create a lane for an easy drive to the basket.

Passing the ball around the perimeter until having to take a last second shot is not it. Also trying to back a defender down closer to the basket is not it either. That’s nothing more than street ball.

What seems to be lacking is the skill of passing into the interior of a defense thus causing the defense to collapse. A good coach anticipates this and the other team members are taught to move to specific positions anticipating how the defense will react to the pass back out. After that pass back out and the defense reacts, the second pass should be to a wide open player for a shot inside or a fourth pass if needed for an easy in the lane shot, layup, or dunk.

What happen to this type of coaching of set plays in basketball? I am not saying no one does it but in general it seems like a lost art.

Last edited:
Wow, is this what we are going to see from officiating this year. Illinois knocks the Jackson player to the floor on the other end, then Illinois misses the shot and the Jackson player has position for the rebound but the Illinois player grabbed one of his arms to get the ball away, then the officials calls a phantom foul against the Jackson player on the Illinois layup.

Murray is going to be fun to watch,. I hope his brother is 75% of Keegan.

I like the starting line up as long as Bohannon can shoot consistently.

If we can run like this, Im down for watching a lot of these games. Losses are going to be fun. Iowa Basketball may be the complete opposite of Iowa football, all offense no defense.

Latest posts