Watching Jones and Tracy carve up PSU

I don't know if this has been said, but the thread title is BS. Tracy had one catch for eight yards and at least one drop. Jones, on the other hand...
Jones had a career game

Tracy dropped at least 4 passes and was relegated to relief duty

View attachment 9191

This is a telling sign how good Iowa's special team scheme is not just the return guy. LeVar is as good as it gets!

Just one game, of course, and Charlie Jones is undeniably a good returner. But I agree with you, I think we will continue to see the return game function at a high level. Especially KO return (I think punt return requires a little more specialized skillset that I am not yet certain we have).

I chuckled at this as I thought how we could use him this year if our receivers don’t recover from their injuries.

On the other hand, if Charlie was like third or fourth on our depth chart then as Will Smith likes to say in his Movies “just damn!!!” Can’t wait to see our guys in action. Maybe I will end up eating my words of my criticism toward Brian F.

Would be thrilled to be wrong!!!

I think our defense will be excellent this season but couldn’t help but shake my head on how well Purdue’s offense was last night. Their QB is so good at getting rid of the ball quickly which makes it difficult to sack him. We did see some struggles when pressure was put on him. The key to beating this guy is going to have constant pressure on him and have our defense up on their receivers with tight coverage with the safeties backing up and protecting against the long passes. So if teams think they can defend Purdue with a standard rush they are sadly mistaken. Their QB will carve up defenses that don’t pressure the QB. Even though he is quick to get the ball out of his hand pressure will have to be there.

From everything I have read about this team we are playing on Saturday, they are excellent at moving the ball around through the air. So this will definitely be a test of our pass defense.
I also really hope that our offense can be mildly productive. Otherwise, this board will be brimming with insufferable negativity. I mean, at this point, everyone gets it. A significant chunk of people want BF fired and Petras benched. Let's just watch the team play and see how it goes, and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I just enjoy being really optimistic before each season starts. I dunno. Last year, they had a super young team and a bad O line and won 10 games. FIRE people, right? :)

Purdue with a lead in the 4th q threw the ball all but like twice.... I mean I used to put Brohm high up there as a guy I liked for calling a game but his play calling was what did them in. Even if you weren't getting 1st downs run the dang ball to burn clock. I just hate watching bad situational coaching and he did them in there's no two ways about it.

Sure Purdues D coulda tackled a lot better (especially on that last play of the 1st half) What a story that should be both teams couldn't tackle for shit. But for what that's worth I still think Brohm stopping the clock with so many incomplete passes in the 4th q was there problem. They could have taken off 2 or 3 more mins easily and changed the whole way PSU would have had to come back.
Yup. 11 passes, 2 runs

platoon-dramatic.gif

So Sweet it makes my teeth ache

Damn

:cool:

I am all for BF hate, but direct this one at the QB who picks one receiver to lock onto pre-snap and never even tries to read the defense or go through a progression.

I actually heard Dolphin on an interview Thursday afternoon. He actually stated that they have worked to simplify the playbook for Petras. People, Petras is our 5th year QB!! Is that concerning?

Last edited:
You can find quite a few examples of that in Brohm's tenure. He is a balls-to-the-wall type of coach, which can work out great, or can come back to bite you. He hasn't really shown much ability to modulate his approach to situation. That is probably both a strength and a weakness of his. Just like it is for KF, who resides on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The best parts of Brohm and KF mixed together would be the greatest college FB coach the world has ever seen.

He obviously has no confidence in their run game or ability to move the chains on the ground.

I actually heard Dolphin on an interview Thursday afternoon. He actually stated that they have worked to simplify the playbook for Petras. People, Petras is our 5th year QB!! Is that concerning?

Of course.
On the positive side, maybe a simpler offense will remove the "our offense is too complex for an inexperienced QB" excuse and allow Labas to get some snaps.

I also really hope that our offense can be mildly productive. Otherwise, this board will be brimming with insufferable negativity. I mean, at this point, everyone gets it. A significant chunk of people want BF fired and Petras benched. Let's just watch the team play and see how it goes, and maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I just enjoy being really optimistic before each season starts. I dunno. Last year, they had a super young team and a bad O line and won 10 games. FIRE people, right? :)

Totally fair analysis. I always hope for the best and am disappointed when we struggle. I’m getting up there in years and I don’t have thirty years to hope lightning strikes. I’d like to see efforts made to put in some lightning rods, to improve our chances.

Lol, were they using fruit on a table.

Now your that apple and that banana over there is your receiver. These four coconuts want to make applesauce out of you. “What is the grapefruit and the orange for coach?” The grapefruit is your fullback and the orange is your running back. Now when your are going to pass you can use one to stay back and help keep the coconuts off of you. What’s the blender for coach? “We nickname the blender PORTAL.”

Totally fair analysis. I always hope for the best and am disappointed when we struggle. I’m getting up there in years and I don’t have thirty years to hope lightning strikes. I’d like to see efforts made to put in some lightning rods, to improve our chances.
Fair enough. It's really sad that this defense and special teams are some of the very best in the country. Maybe special teams is THE best? Yet, we'd definitely have losing seasons without them. The offense looks even worse than last year (is that possible?). I know it's just the first game, but how do you fix the o line? O well. Being a hawk fan is tough.

Latest posts