Watch: Iowa Basketball Player Interviews

Not sure what to make of the upcoming season. Obviously the consistency we see coming in from last season is inconsistency. Hopefully our guards will be a shining bright spot, and our Bigs will also be better than expected. Patrick mentioned consistency. He knows it was a problem with the players that return. I liked what he said about the one player coming in being very physical, that’s huge in the B1G. Tony, Bowen, and Sandfort need to be the real goods this year or else it’s going to be a long winter.

I just don't see a stud in this group. Its hard to be on the top end of the conference playing a true team game. I like the players on this team and believe we are very deep, but it just feels like we are short an alpha dog---someone who goes out and gets you 20+ every night that you can fill in role players around.

I just don't see a stud in this group. Its hard to be on the top end of the conference playing a true team game. I like the players on this team and believe we are very deep, but it just feels like we are short an alpha dog---someone who goes out and gets you 20+ every night that you can fill in role players around.
Yeah I think we are going to find out that replacing the Murrays and Garza won't be easy. Having just one alpha that like you said can get you 20 every night is huge. It makes other teams game plan accordingly and allows for role players to do their things easier. To force that role onto someone that may not be up for it is tough. From what we've seen from TP is he capable? Yes but can he be consistent? Sandfort maybe? Streaky shooter so far. He has the mindset for it but can he play well enough? Beyond them two it's a crapshoot of guys. I'm not banking on PM being it. He could prove me wrong I suppose. We'll see.

I just don't see a stud in this group. It’s hard to be on the top end of the conference playing a true team game. I like the players on this team and believe we are very deep, but it just feels like we are short an alpha dog---someone who goes out and gets you 20+ every night that you can fill in role players around.
My best guess on which player that could possibly be the twenty points a game would be Sandfort………. But I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

Yeah I think we are going to find out that replacing the Murrays and Garza won't be easy. Having just one alpha that like you said can get you 20 every night is huge. It makes other teams game plan accordingly and allows for role players to do their things easier. To force that role onto someone that may not be up for it is tough. From what we've seen from TP is he capable? Yes but can he be consistent? Sandfort maybe? Streaky shooter so far. He has the mindset for it but can he play well enough? Beyond them two it's a crapshoot of guys. I'm not banking on PM being it. He could prove me wrong I suppose. We'll see.
TP and Sandfort are the obvious choices at this point. We need some unexpected cream to rise to the top.

TP and Sandfort are the obvious choices at this point. We need some unexpected cream to rise to the top.
Yup be it one of the new bigs be it transfer or youngster that hasn't played much yet. Or Bowen/Dix. There's a lot of room for someone to else to do some things. I've seen some encouraging things about Ladje Dembele. Sounds like he's a rebounder with some touch shooting the ball. If he's a bigger version of what Basaabe was that'd be a great fit and he'll get mins this yr.

I do believe we will be surprised when the young lads hit the floor
with a bit of experience behind them

Rabidly awaiting the tipoff to start the ball rolling

Feel rather optimistic about this season

I do believe we will be surprised when the young lads hit the floor
with a bit of experience behind them

Rabidly awaiting the tipoff to start the ball rolling

Feel rather optimistic about this season
There will be a lot of interest because of so many unknown of who will be the leader. Patrick certainly is aware that a lot will fall on him to be a leader.

In many ways it will be fun to watch the younger players develop. I know I said that last year and we did see it in Kris and Filip, with Toney having shining moments.

This was an interesting article about Ash.

He was cautious in his remarks and respectful but at the same time the part of getting the best of some of the starters in practice was concerning. I know, I know, what some are thinking……… that the competition there is not B1G level, Maybe that is fair and maybe it’s not.

This was an interesting article about Ash.

He was cautious in his remarks and respectful but at the same time the part of getting the best of some of the starters in practice was concerning. I know, I know, what some are thinking……… that the competition there is not B1G level, Maybe that is fair and maybe it’s not.
Not concerning at all to me, Ash proved he can play last year. People said he couldn't play D1 basketball, he proved them wrong. Fran keeps a great walk on system and a competitive one. He can easily point towards Ash or Baer and say "these guys contributed or were good enough to play and get a scholarship at the D1 level after spending time in our program". That's a testament to how good they are at developing players and making every single player contribute. Let's not forget, he actually got production out of Andrew Brommer lol.

Ash was a sharp shooter from 3, you can get the best of even good defenders if your primary role is getting off screens and spotting up for 3, and to be truthful, Iowa isn't that great of a perimeter defensive team, so it does make some sense.

Also, if you guys don't think a guy Tony can be the alpha you guys think we're missing, I don't know what you watched last year down the stretch.

Tony had all of these point totals after the calendar turned to February
32 vs IL
24 vs TOSU
24 vs MSU
23 vs IU
16 vs TOSU

From February on and until the end of the season, Tony was averaging close to 16 points a game. It's not far fetched to expect that kind of production from him next year if not higher.

I keep asking this, but like, we return Patrick, Tony and Peyton Sandfort....it's not like we're starting over. You have 2 potential all conference players there. That's as good of core of 3 players as almost anyone in the conference brings back and we have a coach that routinely over delivers when fans and pundits expect Iowa to take a step back.

I am worried about post play and rebounding...but like, I still think this is going to be an above average team.

Also, if you guys don't think a guy Tony can be the alpha you guys think we're missing, I don't know what you watched last year down the stretch.

32 vs IL
24 vs TOSU
24 vs MSU
23 vs IU
16 vs TOSU

From February on and until the end of the season, Tony was averaging close to 16 points a game. It's not far fetched to expect that kind of production from him next year if not higher.

I keep asking this, but like, we return Patrick, Tony and Peyton Sandfort....it's not like we're starting over. You have 2 potential all conference players there. That's as good of core of 3 players as almost anyone in the conference brings back and we have a coach that routinely over delivers when fans and pundits expect Iowa to take a step back.

I am worried about post play and rebounding...but like, I still think this is going to be an above average team.
Can’t argue with your points here. I picked Tony to be successful when he was a freshmen. He reminds of with his thick body style of the Michigan State type of guards who were very successful.

32 vs IL
24 vs TOSU
24 vs MSU
23 vs IU
16 vs TOSU

Sounds like TP is already the alpha in practice from reading the new player interviews. I think the post will be alright, they'll definitely have numbers there at least.

Sounds like TP is already the alpha in practice from reading the new player interviews. I think the post will be alright, they'll definitely have numbers there at least.
While we don't have a single player as good as Rebracca at this point in their career, overall, Iowa is WAY bigger this year and has way more depth in the post vs. last year. I feel like that many new pieces all put together, might be able to duplicate his production.

Latest posts