Wasted Redshirts?

DBAHawkFan

Anyone else feel a bit bad for Keenan Davis? He's going to be a JR next year and we really haven't seen much of him.

Few spurts when McNutt went out with a sprain early in the year, but you'd think we could take advantage of his size by putting him out there in the slot, not always having him split wide.

I know Jon thought he could potentially break all Iowa WR records, or become the best WR ever at Iowa, which there's still time for him depending on the next two years....

but just seems like wasted production. Same thing with CJ. He hasn't seen the field since the 2nd game, and why not redshirt him so we can get 4 years out of him, instead of 3.

I still never understood Drew Tate not being redshirted.

A.J. Derby for one, it doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see that this kid's combo of size, speed, and athleticism combined with the whole 1 actual play he's played this year equals why the hell didn't Iowa redshirt this guy? Maybe it is up to the player but sometimes the coaches need to drive the point home a little harder that it may NOT be in said player's best interest to play as a true freshman if said year is going to be a complete waste.

I know the coaches have said that the players get much more valuable practice time/exposure when they're not redshirted.....but come on, if they're not going to play, why not keep the shirt on?

So we have some of the most talented kids to come out of highschool and we only get 2-3 years of production.

A.J. Derby for one, it doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see that this kid's combo of size, speed, and athleticism combined with the whole 1 actual play he's played this year equals why the hell didn't Iowa redshirt this guy? Maybe it is up to the player but sometimes the coaches need to drive the point home a little harder that it may NOT be in said player's best interest to play as a true freshman if said year is going to be a complete waste.

Has A.J. Derby played this year? I don't recall him seeing the field but I may have missed it.

Has A.J. Derby played this year? I don't recall him seeing the field but I may have missed it.

Yeah I don't remember see Derby either, I was actually under the assumption that he was still practicing as a QB and I know he didn't play that position. I'm thinking maybe u guys are mistaken AJ for his brother Zach Derby, I was thinking that earlier this season. As far as Keenan and CJ go I totally agree and kind of feel like we underused Coker also.

Yeah I don't remember see Derby either, I was actually under the assumption that he was still practicing as a QB and I know he didn't play that position. I'm thinking maybe u guys are mistaken AJ for his brother Zach Derby, I was thinking that earlier this season. As far as Keenan and CJ go I totally agree and kind of feel like we underused Coker also.

He maybe played against Ball State? That's really the only game that I could imagine him coming in for. Not saying he did, just that there would have been no other time for it.

He maybe played against Ball State? That's really the only game that I could imagine him coming in for. Not saying he did, just that there would have been no other time for it.

I think it was Zach Derby as well. I seem to remember an article before the NW game that AJ didnt' travel with the team because he was redshirt and teams are only allowed to take 70 on the road.

A.J. Derby for one, it doesn't take a theoretical physicist to see that this kid's combo of size, speed, and athleticism combined with the whole 1 actual play he's played this year equals why the hell didn't Iowa redshirt this guy?

What a wasted reference to "theoretical physicist" :)

Here are the freshman who played this year:

C.J. Fiedorowicz, James Morris, Christian Kirksey, Coker, Anthony Hitchens, Tanner Miller, BJ Lowery and kicker Mike Meyer.

What a wasted reference to "theoretical physicist" :)

Here are the freshman who played this year:

C.J. Fiedorowicz, James Morris, Christian Kirksey, Coker, Anthony Hitchens, Tanner Miller, BJ Lowery and kicker Mike Meyer.

LOL, apparently it does take a theoretical physicist to realize Zach and AJ are different people.

JK olympia I had that same thought earlier this season. :)

Yeah, that does stink for KD...but he's playing behind two of the best WR's we have seen in quite some time. Maybe they will redshirt him next year for the 2012 national title run???

Clearly,it is not an exact science. Coker may have red-shirted if Jewel does not go down. CJ helped out on special teams,and if we get an injury there, he would have played like Coker. Plus,with Reisner gone next year he is next in line...three years of playing time is good production in the big leagues of high division one college fb.

As for Davis; he also has helped on special teams. Special teams are as important as offense and defense so if a guy can start at special teams,it is a productive use of their year.

Clearly,it is not an exact science. Coker may have red-shirted if Jewel does not go down. CJ helped out on special teams,and if we get an injury there, he would have played like Coker. Plus,with Reisner gone next year he is next in line...three years of playing time is good production in the big leagues of high division one college fb.

As for Davis; he also has helped on special teams. Special teams are as important as offense and defense so if a guy can start at special teams,it is a productive use of their year.

I disagree I could care less if Keenan was returning the kicks or Sande or Chaney or Sash or whoever... Keenan could return kicks help the special teams and start on offence his 5th year. Last year I don't even think he returned kicks, vaguely helped the offence so what's the point. I mean who's sitting here thinking damn I wish we wouldn't of redshirted Mcnutt three years ago and played him on special teams. I'd way rather that of happened then have him for a 5th year on next year team.

So we complain special teams isn't playing well enough, but then we also shouldn't play some of our better guys on those units. That makes sense.

90 percent of our special teams trouble boils down to a lack of a kicker. Keenan didn't even return kicks last year. He would return kicks in 2013 but he can't now for basically no reason(and start on offence). CJ really make a difference on speicial teams this year? I bet he could of in 2014 but he can't now. If we had a kicker redshirt to burn to help are ST I'd be all been for that.

The best thing about burning a shirt is that if a player suffers a significant injury early in the season like Jewel or Bruce Davis he can then take the med. red shirt for that season like Moeaki. I would prefer Iowa would do this with all the most talented freshman. It basically gives you 5 seasons to play four and the ability to make an impact as a true freshman without worrying about the NCAA getting involved if you suffer a serious injury after a regular red shirt.

To answer the OP, its imperative that KD and CJ take the next step. Those 15 bowl practices will be huge for these guys.......KD is a projected starter and at minimum CJ will see a lot of playing time next year.