Washpun Commits to Tennessee

Not getting Guerrero was a big dieal. Washpun? Not so much....We can get someone else just as good.

My guess is JuCO pg now. We need to show recruits we are on the rebound and the best way to do that is the W-L record. Things will improve when we are .500 next year

Maybe Cindy will choose to go stag. Obviously Fran had a list of preferred guards in mind before he offer Washpun. Did he offer Washpun because he knows his chances of getting the others is slim to none? If so........yikes!

TOS is saying there's a tweet indicating Jackson is going to Baylor.

Says on twitter he is announcing tomorrow. Looks like its between Creighton and Baylor since he didn't even visit.

great time in waco, texas and omaha, nebraska This whole weekend has been long and fun... But I think I know whats up! ; ) #blessed!

Seems like a big "IF" to me Jon. losing out on fall back recruits is not a good thing. I think Fran will get it done eventually but I'm really skeptical about this staff's recruiting right now. Starting to get bummed about it.

Relationships matter as much as anything in this business. Cuonzo Martin has developed a relationship with this kid, far longer than the Iowa staff...he's shown the kid 'the love' for months, first at Missouri State, now at Tennessee. That matters a LOT

Relationships matter as much as anything in this business. Cuonzo Martin has developed a relationship with this kid, far longer than the Iowa staff...he's shown the kid 'the love' for months, first at Missouri State, now at Tennessee. That matters a LOT

Which is why Fran and the staff is struggling right now. They haven't had the time to identify and develop the relationships with the kids. I have a feeling we are going to hear more bad news or at least miss out on kids we have been recruiting for the 2011 class.

Fran and company have made some inroads for the 2012 class which currently includes Meyer.

The bad thing in this is that the 2012 class is extremely weak in PG recruits. Iowa needs one bad and it really hurts that we lost out on Paige but Fran was a couple of years too late to the party.

Actually people were underwhelmed with the offer. He is an athletic defensive minded kid who can't shoot a lick. He was a project, and that isn't revisionist history.

Maybe Cindy will choose to go stag. Obviously Fran had a list of preferred guards in mind before he offer Washpun. Did he offer Washpun because he knows his chances of getting the others is slim to none? If so........yikes!

Coach did not get Cartwright until June last year. There are players out there well worth taking. Not worried.

I agree, Jackson is out as far as the Hawks are concerned. I am disappointed in Wes' decision, but I also know he had a ways to go to be a real game changer for the Hawks. As for Fran needing to make a coaching change...give me a break!

I am looking forward to the next week as I still think good things are on the horizon for the Hawks on the recruiting front.

Actually people were underwhelmed with the offer. He is an athletic defensive minded kid who can't shoot a lick. He was a project, and that isn't revisionist history.

Sure, it was underwhelming for many. Don't misunderestimate (I did that intentionally) the negative nancies. Soon they will spin it as such: "What?! Is this staff so awful on the recruiting trail that we can't even land an in-state kid like THIS?!"

Or something along those lines :D

Called it. It was obvious that Washpun didn't like the fact that Iowa took so long to offer. Not sure why my message in an other thread asserting rationale reasons why I thought Washpun would pick Tennessee was deleted...

I would have been more upset if he would have committed.

This line of thinking is just insane. The staff thought enough of him to offer him a ride, they spent countless hours, especially over the last week trying to get him to be a Hawkeye.

Yet, you know more than Fran? Um. Ok!

Me thinks you have a lot of company on that bus.

I was one on that bus also. I was hoping Phillip miller would get an offer. He just took his ACT yesterday so hopefully in a few weeks he can get his scores and we can get him an offer.

It's a little disappointing to miss out on a kid in our own backyard, but then again we did come on much later than Kuonzo. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to commit to Tennessee right now. On top of that Washpun would have seen solid PT for the Hawks, whereas he seems destined to ride the pine in Tennessee. Oh well, his loss.

I'm very surprised by this, very surprised. When you think of a kid with the chance to play for his favorite team growing up and to do so within a short distance from his family, I just surprised. However, I wish people would take a step back and wait, just wait to see what transpires over the next few weeks before leaping off the building. Let's see who Fran is able to get.