Washington

Yeah, they absolutely killed themselves in their two losses. Vs Rutgers on the road they put up 550 yds of offense vs a solid D, but lost due to stupid penalties which cost them 7 pts and gave Rutgers 2 scores...AND, they collapsed in the red zone. All self-inflicted stuff, which they cleaned up last night vs Michigan.
Just as Nebraska was a bad matchup for Rutgers yesterday, Washington is a bad matchup for Iowa. This will be the best offense Iowa has faced this year -- and yes, I'm including Ohio St. (other than the red zone) in that -- and there is no doubt they will move the ball vs Iowa's defense. No. Doubt. The question is whether Iowa can move the ball vs their Defense. Unfortunately, the past 2 weeks the Huskies have faced teams with offenses very similar to the Hawkeyes': Rutgers and Michigan are both run heavy teams who struggle to throw the ball. Sound familiar? Also lots of similarities between Rutgers and Michigan's Defenses and our Defense.
Iowa will not pose the best OLine they've faced, nor the best DLine, nor the best RB. You get the idea.
I have no idea if Washington will be favored vs Iowa, but they should be.

this match up is an example of what makes 2024 different than '22 or '23. There are competent offenses on the schedule this year who will score more than 13 points. This is, in my opinion, one more reason why it was so important to get a new OC and a new approach. The days of winning 10-7 are over.

Lester got the running game installed and believe it or not the passing game has moved forward. I saw a passing game at OSU that I have not seen at Iowa in a while. I know, I know. But progress is happening. They're continuing to install the offense.

I don't agree that Washington's O is better than OSU, but it is very good.

I don't feel great about most of our matchups. Iowa's as one dimensional as it gets. We all know how if decent teams can slow down that 1 dimension of ours we are pretty beatable. Yeah our O is miles ahead of where they were last yr but for crying out loud they had nowhere to go but up. The Oline is pretty experienced and been healthy pretty much. They outta be able to run the ball well. They should be able to pass protect well too but that's really hit or miss.

Sullivan needs to start. He won't, but he needs to. Bringing him in after we're down 3 scores does literally nothing. Start him and if he gets in trouble bring CM in.

Knowing CM can't run and can't throw the ball accurately is a gift to the opposing D. At least with Sullivan teams have to account for the possibility of designed QB runs and scrambles.

I do think that a greater than 50% part of CM continuing to start is KF throwing a middle finger to fans and donors who pushed his son out.

this match up is an example of what makes 2024 different than '22 or '23. There are competent offenses on the schedule this year who will score more than 13 points. This is, in my opinion, one more reason why it was so important to get a new OC and a new approach. The days of winning 10-7 are over.

Lester got the running game installed and believe it or not the passing game has moved forward. I saw a passing game at OSU that I have not seen at Iowa in a while. I know, I know. But progress is happening. They're continuing to install the offense.

I don't agree that Washington's O is better than OSU, but it is very good.
I’m not particularly impressed with Rogers. He hasn’t turned the ball over much this year, but not completely convinced he’s a game changer through the air against quality opponents. What they do well is that they have a strong backup that was featured in several series over the weekend. And if they utilize that in kinnick, that’s their separator. Their defense is good but not great. This will come down to every other game Ferentz coaches. Keep it close until the 4th when we can run the ball after 3 quarters of pounding. Get a 4th quarter lead & put it on the defense. It’s the same script over & over

Sullivan needs to start. He won't, but he needs to. Bringing him in after we're down 3 scores does literally nothing. Start him and if he gets in trouble bring CM in.

Knowing CM can't run and can't throw the ball accurately is a gift to the opposing D. At least with Sullivan teams have to account for the possibility of designed QB runs and scrambles.

I do think that a greater than 50% part of CM continuing to start is KF throwing a middle finger to fans and donors who pushed his son out.
Exactly right. And he’s so incredibly stubborn, he never wants to show he may have started the wrong guy. Ferentz is full of pride

Cade will start because 1) he is superior pre-snap - he knows the game; can get the team into or out of the right/wrong play 2) 55% of the time he's going to hand off 3) he's just good enough as a passer - and 4) he's a strong leader.

Starting Sullivan isn’t that much of an upgrade from CM. He isn’t this magic elixir that will be able to consistently hit Lachey or Ostrenga on a 20 yard seam route. Currently, there isn’t anyone in the quarterback room that can push the football down the field vertically.

We are just clamoring over bullshit. They will end up 10-2, 9-3, 8-4 or whatever, no matter who the starting quarterback is.

Latest posts