Washington

Starting Sullivan isn’t that much of an upgrade from CM. He isn’t this magic elixir that will be able to consistently hit Lachey or Ostrenga on a 20 yard seam route. Currently, there isn’t anyone in the quarterback room that can push the football down the field vertically.

We are just clamoring over bullshit. They will end up 10-2, 9-3, 8-4 or whatever, no matter who the starting quarterback is.
I call BS for two reasons. 1) We've never really had a good look at Sullivan as he's only gotten spot duty and now inside the 10 work. So, what would it really be like if he played the entire game? Now, I admit the coaches see both in practice, but ..................2) Yes, it can possibly be a push, but if Sullivan plays, the D has to AT LEAST scheme for his threat for his mobility or running game. In addition, he is around at 69-71% consistent passer. The fact the defense would have to honor him as an O threat is what tips the balance, IMO. Just throwing that wrench into the fold may loosen up the other skill positions. How the F do the coaches not realize this????

While I don't disagree all that much, I still think we are one competent prevent defense away from this being a totally different discussion. We hold on against ISU---a game where we were the better team---and now with the Minny win looking very good, and Iowa is probably still ranked and this group is happy. We all knew there was no hope against OSU. They are just at another level.

I understand that the Iowa State loss happened, but the difference between the sky is falling and sunshine and rainbows is pretty F-ing thin right now......
...as it was last year, when the Hawks went 6-1 in one-score games. This year they're 0-1. How the rest of the close games remaining this season play out -- and I expect there to be many -- will define this season, as it did last season.

I call BS for two reasons. 1) We've never really had a good look at Sullivan as he's only gotten spot duty and now inside the 10 work. So, what would it really be like if he played the entire game? Now, I admit the coaches see both in practice, but ..................2) Yes, it can possibly be a push, but if Sullivan plays, the D has to AT LEAST scheme for his threat for his mobility or running game. In addition, he is around at 69-71% consistent passer. The fact the defense would have to honor him as an O threat is what tips the balance, IMO. Just throwing that wrench into the fold may loosen up the other skill positions. How the F do the coaches not realize this????
I have no idea what the coaches are thinking, but my guess is:
1) they feel McNamara is a better thrower than Sullivan; and
2) they've been able to successfully run the ball vs most teams thus far, and by adding a QB whose strength is running it may encourage defenses to crowd the LOS even more, taking away the effectiveness of the run game.
I'm not endorsing that line of thinking, necessarily, but can imagine that discussion.

Sullivan needs to start. He won't, but he needs to. Bringing him in after we're down 3 scores does literally nothing. Start him and if he gets in trouble bring CM in.

Knowing CM can't run and can't throw the ball accurately is a gift to the opposing D. At least with Sullivan teams have to account for the possibility of designed QB runs and scrambles.

I do think that a greater than 50% part of CM continuing to start is KF throwing a middle finger to fans and donors who pushed his son out.
Agree with you about starting Sullivan, but I'd say that if Sullivan can't get it going you have to go to Lainez and play for the future. Not saying he's ready or on the same playing field yet, but IMO we've seen everything McNamara has to offer at this point and it's not the answer. He's gone after this year anyway so I think you have to give the reps to someone who's going to be there in the future.

That said if McNamara were to start and it wasn't there and Sullivan took over I wouldn't be opposed to putting McNamara back on the field, but I feel that if you demote him to 2nd string and hand the reigns over to Sullivan I don't think there's any point moving him to backup status.

Based on what I saw at Northwestern, he isn’t going to be Brad Banks or CJ Beathard.

However, your points are valid. He is the likely starter in 2025 and he can run more of the Lester playbook now than CM can.

I don’t have high expectations for Sullivan, if he gets legit playing time, hopefully he proves me wrong.
I think Fry is right though. Sullivan has eligibility left and if CM isn't getting it done I think you have to take the chance and see what he has now to give some sort of insight into what needs to be done in the offseason at the QB position.

Latest posts