Washington AD confirms Pac10/Big 12 merger talks on table

how in the world would a "full merger" work? I totally buy the 6 team raid, but I think it is crazy to think that everybody in the Big 12 is getting a piece of this.

Jon, do you think that the recent problems in the KU athletic department are going to hurt them in reallignment? Or are there enough bad apples in other conferences that they will not be penalized too much?

This would be hands down the most powerful conference in the country. From what I have heard this has been in the talks for months and its out there.

I agree. My people are telling me the same thing. But the version I've been hearing for months that only 11 schools from the Big 12 are going to merge with the Pac 10.

I can neither confirm...nor deny the validity of this rumor...BUT...sources are telling me that...Kirkwood is in talks to become the Big 10's 11th university...more to come.

I can neither confirm...nor deny the validity of this rumor...BUT...sources are telling me that...Kirkwood is in talks to become the Big 10's 11th university...more to come.

Presumably you're a Kirkwood student who recently flunked out of a Big 10 school.

I think it means 10 of the Big 12, minus NU ans MU if they would go to the Big 10. Keep the conferences together (everyone plays eachother once, plus 3 OOC games) and the winners of the former Big 12 would play the winners of the Pac 10 in a conference championship game. It would also lock up almost every television set west of the Mississippi.

Okay:

Beyond having the leagues agree on a joint TV contract, I have not heard "full merger" at any point. I have always heard Missouri to the Big Ten, with Nebraska a sometimes on and sometimes off proposition. Never ISU or KSU, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc. Until yesterday I didn't hear OSU.

The SEC people have been feeling confident they could get Baylor, Tech, and OSU, and to some extent OU, because they didn't feel the Pac Ten would want a primary state school without AAU participation. They are Okay with taking a secondary non-AAU state school, but a primary? Not as much. However, what I hear now is that Texas wants to keep their travel close and doesn't want to give up the very lucrative Red River Rivalry.

The biggest area of ambiguity has been the Kansas schools. Someone is going to pick up Kansas. I have been saying I thought it was Pac Ten, but just hadn't heard anything. I would actually like the Big Ten to pick up Kansas, just because I think it would fit into the footprint well if they got Missouri and Nebby. I think the Big Ten should mostly be large primary northern state schools. That is why I have been advocating Missou, Nebby, Kansas, Rutgers, and Maryland.

This is just getting stupid with all the rumors swirling around...everyone has the latest info. I'm going to stop paying attn to this until something becomes official. This is just a waste of time and reading at this point.

This would be hands down the most powerful conference in the country. From what I have heard this has been in the talks for months and its out there.

Sorry,math does not work. 1 + 1 does not equal 8.
Stand alone, the Pac Ten has little football revenue clout.
Stand alone, the Big 12 is just ok for football TV revenue clout.

Together they will become a big football tv revenue generator?
Why? The pie will have to be split 22 ways. And Texas will command a lions share for themselves,like they do now. It will be Texas and USC and 20 liliputiians. What a powerhouse...not!

It will be Texas and USC and 20 liliputiians. What a powerhouse...not!

Texas, OU, and USC will all be National Powerhouse Programs. If they actually bring Nebby, which I don't expect, that would give them 4.

The Big Ten has two right now. OSU, and PSU, of course we expect Michigan to get back up their soon.

Of the other Big Ten schools, you can compare the Pac Ten schools relatively closely. Oregon has had national attention and has been ranked higher than most Big Ten schools recently. Cal has garnered national attention and rankings. Washington has had a strong history, with the exception of the TW years. UCLA is a storied program that is looking to return to prominence. The Arizona schools have had success. Basically, each of the schools outside of Texas, OU, and USC look a lot like the also ran teams in the Big Ten, like Wisky, Iowa, Illinois, MSU, etc. Sure one might jump up and win an occasional league title, but most often than not they won't.

Add the better strong Big 12 schools to the Pac Ten and the league can stand with any other conference.

And the clowns just become the new doormat of a new league and still go to the table begging for leftovers. Instead of 12 teams, they become the doormat for 22 teams.

Texas, OU, and USC will all be National Powerhouse Programs. If they actually bring Nebby, which I don't expect, that would give them 4.

The Big Ten has two right now. OSU, and PSU, of course we expect Michigan to get back up their soon.

Of the other Big Ten schools, you can compare the Pac Ten schools relatively closely. Oregon has had national attention and has been ranked higher than most Big Ten schools recently. Cal has garnered national attention and rankings. Washington has had a strong history, with the exception of the TW years. UCLA is a storied program that is looking to return to prominence. The Arizona schools have had success. Basically, each of the schools outside of Texas, OU, and USC look a lot like the also ran teams in the Big Ten, like Wisky, Iowa, Illinois, MSU, etc. Sure one might jump up and win an occasional league title, but most often than not they won't.

Add the better strong Big 12 schools to the Pac Ten and the league can stand with any other conference.

I beg to differ about Nebraska being a national powerhouse program since the Big Eight conference realignment in the mid 1990's. With the addition of the Texas schools, Nebraska took a step back from the so-called powerhouse program status. Why? Simply because Nebraska's schedule got tougher with the addition of mentioned schools. The schedule will not be much better if Nebraska joins the Big Ten playing the likes of Michigan, Ohio State. Penn State and yes even Wisconsin and Iowa, not to mention Texas if the Longhorns decide to join the Big Ten. Likewise if Nebraska joins the Pac Ten along with several other Big Twelve schools. USC and Oregon come to mind right away.

Last edited:

Latest posts