Was Jon Budmayr unable to find a paid position or what is in it with his stop at Iowa?

uihawk82

I just watched a youtube video of some sports talk show guys talking about the curious situation of Budmayr coming onto Kirk's staff as unpaid volunteer.

Any of you have inside info as to this being a 1 year QB whisperer type of situation to help the qbs and Brian?

Did Budmayr not have a paid job to find or take after his boss at CSU was fired?

Is there a bigger master plan here with some big change coming after this season?

I'm just wondering if KF is planning to retire at some point and handing the keys to the car over to Brian. This would be a somewhat seamless transition to a new OC.

I don't understand it. KOK left so couldn't they have put him on the staff payroll. Wasn't there a paid position.

Kind of weird but I like what I hear he has offered as far as helping the QB's streamline their progression making it simpler for them.

Last edited:
The situation is curious. The guy has only been coaching a handful of years. If he doesn't have a family to worry about yet, I guess he probably had enough saved to easily live in IC for a year. But I can't recall another situation in which a coach that early into his career (yet had been a coordinator) was willing to take an unpaid, "sabbatical" year. And it's not like he's learning from Lincoln Riley or Mike Leach or Lane Kiffin...maybe if he coached on the defensive side it'd make more sense. If he is going to work for free, why wouldn't he have just joined Chryst again for a season?

Only thing I would think would explain the pay situation would may be something in his contract from his previous job? There’s just had to be something weird like I would expect.

How does a 31 year old guy go a year with no salary?
Voluntarily no less.... Dude shoulda had options to get paid not only something but 6 figures by someone somewhere. So yeah I get all the questions around his hiring. He's not dating someone in the Ferentz family is he? Or someone else on the coaching staff? If there was some kind of direct tie in or relationship with him to someone on the staff that'd be one thing. This just has a weird feeling about it.

The situation is curious. The guy has only been coaching a handful of years. If he doesn't have a family to worry about yet, I guess he probably had enough saved to easily live in IC for a year. But I can't recall another situation in which a coach that early into his career (yet had been a coordinator) was willing to take an unpaid, "sabbatical" year. And it's not like he's learning from Lincoln Riley or Mike Leach or Lane Kiffin...maybe if he coached on the defensive side it'd make more sense. If he is going to work for free, why wouldn't he have just joined Chryst again for a season?

I really don't think he's trying to learn from KF and staff. I think they are trying to learn from him, as far as poking his brain to help with the QB's and maybe provide some offensive input. I understand he's helping to evaluate the analytics and scout as well.

Only thing I would think would explain the pay situation would may be something in his contract from his previous job? There’s just had to be something weird like I would expect.

You bring up an interesting point, about potential contract limitations. I'm not really sure if Colorado St. had any, per se, but what if Wisconsin had a clause where the coach could not be paid on another BIG coaching roster for so many seasons/years? There are "competitive clauses" in the private sector when some employees leave certain corporations. Maybe there is language in a contract when he left Wisconsin, as that was only a couple years ago. Makes one wonder.

Voluntarily no less.... Dude shoulda had options to get paid not only something but 6 figures by someone somewhere. So yeah I get all the questions around his hiring. He's not dating someone in the Ferentz family is he? Or someone else on the coaching staff? If there was some kind of direct tie in or relationship with him to someone on the staff that'd be one thing. This just has a weird feeling about it.

To my understanding, he is a close relative to the Hartlieb's in Illinois, in particular the two ex Hawk's Jim and Chuck's dad. Somebody else may have the specifics on the relationship.

You could get by for a year if your previous job paid you $200,000 that last year, couldn't you? I could and could enjoy that sabbatical, especially if I knew the plan was to get me on staff at some point.
I could but can he? Most folks that make 200k spend 250k though How many guys in that realm are smart enough to save?

To my understanding, he is a close relative to the Hartlieb's in Illinois, in particular the two ex Hawk's Jim and Chuck's dad. Somebody else may have the specifics on the relationship.
Interesting. The coaching world is all about relationships. How KF puts his staff together epitomizes it.

I could but can he? Most folks that make 200k spend 250k though How many guys in that realm are smart enough to save?
I thought someone on this forum or elsewhere said he made about $300,000 a year at CSU. Was he there for only the one year? Did CSU give him an exit the door deal?

Anyway, not sure if he is married but if he is then she may have made some good bucks.

So, very possible he could make it as a 'volunteer' also getting paid to do something for donors in the off season or running camps.

I thought someone on this forum or elsewhere said he made about $300,000 a year at CSU. Was he there for only the one year? Did CSU give him an exit the door deal?

Anyway, not sure if he is married but if he is then she may have made some good bucks.

So, very possible he could make it as a 'volunteer' also getting paid to do something for donors in the off season or running camps.
He very well could have. I just threw a number out there of the low bar to make my argument that a family could do fine on that if managed it well enough. I would think the majority of people making coin are responsible with their finances. We always hear about the irresponsible but there are many more who are fine, IMO.