Was Iowa Snubbed By NCAA Selection Committee?

The Ncaa and Nit selectin committees are so out of touch thay are now irrelevant. It has become more about politics than anything else.

RPI of our conference victories: Our extremely friendly Big ten schedule is another reason why we are out

show me how "they took care of business?" lots of these teams didn't beat anyone more exciting and had many bad losses as well..

It's pure and simply the RPI - and the rpi is borked
This is spot on. Iowa was considered. If you throw everything else out the window, what's left is RPI and SOS and the committee HAD to use it. Do I like it? No. Am I OK with it? No. But it is what it is and we move on.

GO HAWKS!!!

I have no problem with low/mid majors getting a tournament bid and how they want to award it is completely up to each conference. If the Big South wants to award their 1 bid to a 15-20 Liberty team then so be it, quite frankly they have just as good of a chance to knock off a 16 seed as Gardner Webb, High Point, or Charleston Southern. There are 37 at large bids up for grabs and in the future I would not be surprised to see that expanded, that is more than enough for teams like Iowa to build a resume that qualifies for one of those bids.

March Madness big stories are mid/low majors upsetting teams from the power conferences. It is what keeps us basketball fans interested even when our own team is not playing.

We didn't deserve to get in. We played an embarrassing schedule for a Power Conference team. If you play a non-conference like we did you better sweep it.

Interesting... I didn't consider that before. Not playing every team twice in some years will hurt, this year it was great.

RPI of our conference victories: Our extremely friendly Big ten schedule is another reason why we are out

That's fine and all, but in this list of the "cake" conference schedule, this still gives Iowa more Top 50 wins than Middle Tennessee, LaSalle and St. Mary's, and equals the Top 50 wins for the entire season for Boise State.

So if you are in a power conference, you need to schedule and beat good teams in the non-con. Got it. But that doesn't apparently apply to a mid-major, as in those cases you are allowed to beat a bunch of bad teams and lose to the few good teams you do play.

We didn't deserve to get in. We played an embarrassing schedule for a Power Conference team. If you play a non-conference like we did you better sweep it.

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if Iowa substituted WSU & VTech with 2 other .500 low majors to give them a 13-0 non conference record if they would have gotten a NCAA bid as a 23-10 team. Iowa's RPI would have been much higher since you take away 2 weighted losses and pick up 1.2 weighted wins. Even though win % is only 25% of the RPI score at the end of the year it moved Iowa's RPI score the most 1 way or the other (see MSU loss). So if you are going to go the cupcake route make sure you win them all.

Iowa was not snubbed

Agreed, Iowa was not "snubbed". If UK, Maryland, Tennessee, UVA and Alabama had gotten in, but not Iowa, then I would maybe think otherwise. But they did not, so I am more inclined to say that the power conferences in general got snubbed in favor of the mid-majors.

Agreed, Iowa was not "snubbed". If UK, Maryland, Tennessee, UVA and Alabama had gotten in, but not Iowa, then I would maybe think otherwise. But they did not, so I am more inclined to say that the power conferences in general got snubbed in favor of the mid-majors.

Snubbed? Sent a message is more like it. Toughen up and do something.

Iowa didn't get snubbed. The RPI has been used forever and we only have a problem with it this year as it doesn't benefit us. Fact is that we scheduled poorly in OOC, we had a very weak Big 10 schedule, and we beat 4 ok teams all at home. No key victories and a couple bad losses.

We weren't an NCAA team and we weren't snubbed.

That's fine and all, but in this list of the "cake" conference schedule, this still gives Iowa more Top 50 wins than Middle Tennessee, LaSalle and St. Mary's, and equals the Top 50 wins for the entire season for Boise State.

So if you are in a power conference, you need to schedule and beat good teams in the non-con. Got it. But that doesn't apparently apply to a mid-major, as in those cases you are allowed to beat a bunch of bad teams and lose to the few good teams you do play.

This - snubbed? maybe that's not the exact word - but the system is borked.

Iowa didn't get snubbed. The RPI has been used forever and we only have a problem with it this year as it doesn't benefit us. Fact is that we scheduled poorly in OOC, we had a very weak Big 10 schedule, and we beat 4 ok teams all at home. No key victories and a couple bad losses.

We weren't an NCAA team and we weren't snubbed.

This, if we were able to hold onto only 2 of the late leads we had this year we are in. Horrible schedule and horrible finishing in close games is why we are in the NIT.

This, if we were able to hold onto only 2 of the late leads we had this year we are in. Horrible schedule and horrible finishing in close games is why we are in the NIT.

Even if Iowa does get in by winning a couple extra games, they would have been a low seed due to that non-conference schedule. Gotta schedule better AND do well in the conference if you want to be better than a 10-12 seed.

No, we just didn't get the wins in the games we needed. We were right there, but came up short. Our fault, not snubbed.

I read where the committee said middle ten state and st marys passed they eye test... tho not having many quality wins.

Sorry but where was the "eye test" for the hawkeyes

Neither one of those teams could score 60 pts against us we'd make em cry.

I didn't think they were going to get in but the more I look at some of those teams that got in the more I realize how broke this system is.

Would be real interesting to see how it would of came out if we would of just replaced the wins against the mid 300 teams with teams in the mid 200s? Assuming we would of replaced them with wins. Looking in the rear view mirror, IDIOTIC scheduling. There's a some really good teams playing freshman this year that didn't have to have a panzy schedule to show them what it was like to win. There are teams with pretty high NCAA seeds with first year coaches... albiet they did not start at the same place we did. But still... first year. Not 4th or 5th.

Would be real interesting to see how it would of came out if we would of just replaced the wins against the mid 300 teams with teams in the mid 200s? Assuming we would of replaced them with wins. Looking in the rear view mirror, IDIOTIC scheduling. There's a some really good teams playing freshman this year that didn't have to have a panzy schedule to show them what it was like to win. There are teams with pretty high NCAA seeds with first year coaches... albiet they did not start at the same place we did. But still... first year. Not 4th or 5th.

What do first year head coaches have to do with anything?

Latest posts