Was Iowa Snubbed By NCAA Selection Committee?

Iowa was not snubbed. NCAA has a choice between choosing mids who largely took care of business and a power conference team with a padded schedule and anemic results. Letting in a team that really didn't present themselves well creates difficulties for them.

show me how "they took care of business?" lots of these teams didn't beat anyone more exciting and had many bad losses as well..

It's pure and simply the RPI - and the rpi is borked

The reality is the power conferences and their teams are generating the revenue for the NCAA and paying the bills. No-one would buy this product if it was full of the Mountain West, Atlantic 10, Missouri Valley, Horizon, MAC, West Coast Conference, Big Sky. Try leaving out the big conferences and see how much you get from CBS & ESPN for your rights. If the mid-majors want to cry then tell them to start their own tournament.

This is really stupid trying to play a guessing game of which of the crappy teams is going to finish well enough to be in the 100-200 range. Why do we not just add 2 more teams to the B1G and play a full round robin and forget about the non-conference slate. At least all teams can say they played a full slate of power conference games and the fans care more about the B1G games than they do about almost anyone else coming into Carver. Even the worst B1G teams typcially have a sub 200 RPI. Problem solved.

The NCAA Tournament has gone the way of the mid-major...as it relates to the bubble. I don't think that's going to change anytime soon. If a mid-major is playing North Carolina I'm cheering for the mid-major. I think most fans do. So most of the bubble bids will likely go to mid-majors year after year IMO. I think it's what the random neutral fan wants to see.

It really was a weak bubble this year. Like terrible. Jay bilas said it best. For the bubble teams it wasn't who you beat but who you didn't lose to...1 top 100 gets you in the tourney so long as you beat every other scrub team you play. It's not whining, it's just dumb...

That's not entirely true, that it's about who you lost to. 9 of our 12 losses came against the top 37, only one to the 150+. Tennessee didn't have any 150+ losses. Neither team got in. Maybe it's just about the RPI ranking number, just like they said it wouldn't be. All of the last 4 in, as well as Southern Miss, had inflated RPI numbers.

MTSU, seriously? Iowa won 4 games against the top 50 (which was apparently a sore spot for our resume), MTSU played 4 games against the top 100. And lost 3 of them. How in the ... Yes, we were snubbed.

That's not entirely true, that it's about who you lost to. 9 of our 12 losses came against the top 37, only one to the 150+. Tennessee didn't have any 150+ losses. Neither team got in. Maybe it's just about the RPI ranking number, just like they said it wouldn't be. All of the last 4 in, as well as Southern Miss, had inflated RPI numbers.

MTSU, seriously? Iowa won 4 games against the top 50 (which was apparently a sore spot for our resume), MTSU played 4 games against the top 100. And lost 3 of them. How in the ... Yes, we were snubbed.

This is his point. They beat no one. They just didn't lose to any bad teams either. Virginia had 6 top 50 wins. More than all the last 4 combined I believe. They lost to some ****** teams. Hence they ain't dancing either

Edit to that I didn't fully read your post in regards to the losses...

show me how "they took care of business?" lots of these teams didn't beat anyone more exciting and had many bad losses as well..

It's pure and simply the RPI - and the rpi is borked

They did what they had to do within the constraints they had. Iowa did not. Based on the NIT seed, we weren't really a bubble team. If Iowa was solidly "in" how concerned would you be about VA, KU, TN and such not being in the tourney? You wouldn't. You would want to see the cinderella's. Heck most of us don't think MN and IL belonged either.

Did they get snubbed not making it in, no. Do i disagree with the decision of the committee and would have voted differently? Yes. This is why you take care of business all season long and don't be a bubble team. They beat nebraska, we probably aren't having this conversation. They close it out against wisconsin in the game they lost by four, were not having this conversation, and so forth. Having said all that. Illinois and minnesota are both in with basically the same records as iowa. Iowa had a better conference record and went 2-1 against those teams having split with minnesota. Their loss to minnesota was by only 3 when minnesota was ranked. They beat minnesota handily in the next game and beat illinois handily. Big Ten is the best conference in america this year, and ya knew they were going to get 7 teams in. Its a snub that minnesota and illinois got in over iowa.

Can't argue with Jon's numbers.

But that's only half the equation.

Blowing five close league games AND the weak non-conf schedule spelled doom.

And I have to say blowing five league games >>>>weak non-conf schedule = reality

The committee has become politically correct not picking the best teams. They have become pauxatany Phil only correct some of the time. I will remember their hate for us next year when they jump on our bandwagon and kiss our butts next year.

To expand on this point. You could play a top 10 team and lose by 20. Have your best win be Nebraska and every game you win is against teams worse than them and as long as you win you get an invite. Yes MTSU played the "#9" ranked ooc schedule. They got rolled by anyone with a pulse. Nice formula

The criteria is very incoherent and contradictory.

A bunch of random stats that don't have to fit together to equal anything in particular. While clearly different standards are being applied to different teams.

In the overall scope the last 4 in got rewarded for being mid majors that accomplished considerably less than most of the major conference bubble teams that were left out.

In fact Im beginning to understand now that the reason the RPI is used is specifically because it does help the mid majors rather than the more scientifically accurate computer models that favor the larger conference teams who in reality play much harder schedules.

Its not like these people in charge are stupid, far from it, they have to realize what they are doing even if its not overtly stated among the members.

The NCAA clearly doesn't want all major conference teams because the mid majors "Cinderellas" greatly increase the overall mass appeal of the event.

So accuracy is being sacrificed while pandering to a larger audience.

No, they did not. Iowa did nothing to distinguish itself throughout the course of the season.

It doesn't matter what argument you use.

To expand on this point. You could play a top 10 team and lose by 20. Have your best win be Nebraska and every game you win is against teams worse than them and as long as you win you get an invite. Yes MTSU played the "#9" ranked ooc schedule. They got rolled by anyone with a pulse. Nice formula

This. MTSU's RPI outside their conference was 108. But winning 19 of 20 in the 15th ranked conference gets them in the tourney. Not sure what the selection committee saw in them.

ahh k so you 3 like 15-20 northwest Vermont state getting in......

Explain

Yep. March madness must be lost on you.

If I wanted to watch a 5th place power conference team play a 6th place power conference team, I would just watch the conference tournaments. Those teams have had all season to prove they belong but they couldn't. maybe its not the best 68 teams but who cares its what makes March Madness the best time of the year.

Latest posts