Was Iowa Snubbed By NCAA Selection Committee?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Even though most were resigned to Iowa's NCAA-less fate, the no-show on Selection Sunday still stung. Did they deserve to be in the dance?

The fan in me screams yes while my head can accept the fact they were snubbed. However Iowa's 'snub', along with a few others from high major leagues, restarts the debate on the value of the current RPI system.

Iowa finished 29th in both Jeff Sagarin's computer rankings as well as Ken Pomeroy's temp-free rankings and 43rd in ESPN's BPI. However, Iowa finished 79th in the RPI rankings which apparently still matter far more to selection committee members as opposed to the quality of play metrics offered by Pomeroy and the BPI.

The RPI has problems. Most everyone on the outside of the NCAA agrees with that to some extent. However, coaches and programs know the rules of engagement before the games begin and they were all reconfirmed this year: The portion of your schedule you control needs to not be filled with teams the cupcakes call cupcakes.

Iowa's non-conference schedule in 2012-2013 was chock full of the latter. Hostess didn't go out of business on Iowa's account as they gobbled up lots of cupcakes.

Check out this graphic, a screen shot from KenPom.com and focus on the 314 by Texas Pan-American and scroll down.

Screen-shot-2013-03-17-at-8.22.05-PM.jpg

Five of Iowa's out of 13 non-conference games came against teams that were ranked 307 or worse by Pomeroy's system, or 38.5%. Seven out of 13 were ranked 238 or worse, or more than half. Iowa played just three teams who were ranked inside the Top 70 and lost badly to a team (Virginia Tech) who finished ranked 165th.

The NCAA doesn't like to reward teams who play schedules like this, even teams who play 18 of their 31 games (58% of slate) in the true best conference in the nation. Is that fair? Let's take a look at the 'Last Four In' to the tournament, the last four teams to receive an at large bid. I will list the number of games they played against teams ranked 200 or worse by Pomeroy's rankings:

Middle Tennessee: 2 out of 11 non-conference games, 12 of 31 regular season games total.
La Salle: 5 of 13 in non-conference games, 7 out of 29 regular season games.
St Mary's: 2 of 14 non-conference games plus one non-D1 team for 3 of 14, 9 of 31 regular season games total
Boise State: 5 of 14 non-conf plus two non-D1, so make it 7 of 14 for a total of 7 of 30 as no MWC teams were sub 200.

Iowa? Seven out of 31 (all non-conference), or a lower percentage of their overall regular season schedule playing teams ranked 200 or worse than any of the Last Four In, plus Iowa's 18 conference games against teams from the best conference in the nation.

Again, the RPI is what it is and everybody knows what it is. You need to schedule around the parameters or face the reality that Iowa is chewing on right now; step it up a little bit more in your out of conference or you could be on the outside looking in. It's not like Iowa needs to go out and schedule Duke or Florida; just schedule less horrible teams...teams ranked in the 150 to 200 range or that you feel may wind up there and stay the heck away from teams in the 300's.

That's not so simple, as teams in the lower leagues can change a great deal year to year as far as their competitiveness is concerned. However, Iowa can do better and will starting next year. Fran McCaffery has said this year's team wound up being better than what he thought it would be when he was scheduling the season. Even then, Iowa went 2-7 in games decided by four points or less in Big Ten play. If it would have gone 4-5 in those games, Iowa would likely be in the NCAA tournament with the schedule it played this year.

Its not even that they didnt pick Iowa, but who they did pick. St Marys, MTSU, LaSalle, etc.

I hate the "mid-major movement". Check out the members of the selection committee, way too much representation from mid-major leagues and schools.

BARF.

Said it before and I'll say it again, as a coach you do your team absolutely no favors by scheduling a cupcake schedule. Not only is the reality of RPI settling in on Fran right now, but don't you think it is possible that this team may have actually pulled off 1 or2 more of those close 4 points or less games that they blew had they been actually challenged in the preseason?

So we know what we need to do. Schedule better, and don't lose to Nebraska or a crappy Purdue.

Not rocket surgery.

win more games eventually get invited to those big time early tournaments with the big boys...that will enhance the OOC schedule.

It really was a weak bubble this year. Like terrible. Jay bilas said it best. For the bubble teams it wasn't who you beat but who you didn't lose to...1 top 100 gets you in the tourney so long as you beat every other scrub team you play. It's not whining, it's just dumb...

To expand on this point. You could play a top 10 team and lose by 20. Have your best win be Nebraska and every game you win is against teams worse than them and as long as you win you get an invite. Yes MTSU played the "#9" ranked ooc schedule. They got rolled by anyone with a pulse. Nice formula

At most, you are upset because Iowa's crappy resume wasn't considered among other crappy resume's. It's not like we earned a bid, really, we just almost had a good enough ****** resume. Hard to feel like you got snubbed in that scenario.

its really simple they need to get rid of these auto matic bids bs... it should be the best 68 teams when there is so much riding on it.

Not 30 charity cases - you will find no other post season system that does this

I had zero expectations for Iowa to receive a bid. I don't think they were snubbed. I just think the rpi is bunk

Iowa was not snubbed. NCAA has a choice between choosing mids who largely took care of business and a power conference team with a padded schedule and anemic results. Letting in a team that really didn't present themselves well creates difficulties for them.

Latest posts