Wartburg crushes Augsburg!

fulsaasfan

197 -- No. 1 Byron Tate (WAR, 35-1) dec. No. 2 Jared Massey (AUG, 7-1) 6-3 (Wartburg 3-0).
HWT -- No. 1 John Helgerson (WAR, 35-4) pinned Pat Fletcher (AUG, 14-4) 4:10 (Wartburg 9-0).
125 -- No. 3 Mark Kist (WAR, 26-5) dec. No. 5 Josh Roberts (AUG, 16-6) 4-2 (Wartburg 12-0).
133 -- No. 6 Mike Kremer (WAR, 20-5) dec. Boyd Suparat (AUG, 17-10) 11-6 (Wartburg 15-0).
141 -- No. 5 Matt Kelly (WAR, 7-3) dec. Will Keeter (AUG, 19-14) 7-5 (Wartburg 18-0).
149 -- No. 10 Jacob Groth (WAR, 23-9) dec. No. 3 Tony Valek (AUG, 24-4) 5-4 (Wartburg 21-0).
157 -- No. 3 Carrington Banks (WAR, 24-2) maj. dec. Jon Priess (AUG, 12-17) 12-3 (Wartburg 25-0).
165 -- No. 5 Orlando Ponce (AUG, 20-5) dec. Adam Weber (WAR, 7-4) 9-3 (Wartburg 25-3).
174 -- No. 2 Zach Molitor (AUG, 20-2) dec. Ben Scott (WAR, 20-10) 3-0 (Wartburg 25-6).
184 -- Todd Becker (WAR, 10-1) dec. No. 6 Brad Baus (AUG, 22-7) 3-1 (Wartburg 28-6).
End of match – Augsburg deducted 1 team point for unsportsmanlike conduct.

FYI...generally the academic profiles at Wartburg are much higher than any of the state universities in Iowa. 95% of the incoming students last year had scores in the 20's. Wartburg does not fall into the category of community college. Even with a scholarship that might get around the qualifications, it would be tough sledding for a student receiving lower test scores.

my sister is close with byron and he has said he is thinking about transferring to isu next year for his senior season. any chance tommy is looking in to bringing him to Iowa City instead?

FYI...generally the academic profiles at Wartburg are much higher than any of the state universities in Iowa. 95% of the incoming students last year had scores in the 20's. Wartburg does not fall into the category of community college. Even with a scholarship that might get around the qualifications, it would be tough sledding for a student receiving lower test scores.

That maybe true, but it's a HUGE advantage that they have since they can get in kids w/ ACTs that are super low. A guy like Akeam (sp?) Carter comes to mind. They can get in super freak kids that no one else can and just plug them in to win multiple national titles for them. These guys can't get into other D3s or state schools so they just go to wartburg. I promise you things would be different if they had to all have ACTs in the 20s like most of their competitors.

my sister is close with byron and he has said he is thinking about transferring to isu next year for his senior season. any chance tommy is looking in to bringing him to Iowa City instead?

A guy who posts from time to time on ISU site and is alomost always spot on with info said Tate to Iowa was a stone cold lock. I guess will see if anything shakes out.

he's dumber than a box of rocks ive watched him wrestle a few times this year and he doens't even understand when miller tells him to let the kids up...

wartburg is a joke with their requirements

Their "profiles" may be higher but their entrance requirements are not. I believe all that is required is a high school diploma or equivalent. Same goes for the other schools of that size. And, due to their size and philosophies, there is a lot of extra tutoring available as well, which is a good thing for those who struggle academically.

As for Tate, ISU is pretty well set at 197 for awhile so that make it unlikely.

I stand corrected. You're right, there are preferred scores for admission, but the minimum requirement is just high school diploma or equivalent. I attended rival Luther College so I always hated it when Wartburg completely dominated us. Wartburg has an amazing program right now...

I stand corrected. You're right, there are preferred scores for admission, but the minimum requirement is just high school diploma or equivalent. I attended rival Luther College so I always hated it when Wartburg completely dominated us. Wartburg has an amazing program right now...

if other dIII colleges had these requirements i really don't think you'd see wartburg up there year in and year out. i talked to some high schoolers this weekend at sectionals about their future plans and lets just say wartburg was not on the top of any of their lists but its now the only school they can get into so they have to go there and not see varsity time until they are jr-sr because of the depth

if other dIII colleges had these requirements i really don't think you'd see wartburg up there year in and year out. i talked to some high schoolers this weekend at sectionals about their future plans and lets just say wartburg was not on the top of any of their lists but its now the only school they can get into so they have to go there and not see varsity time until they are jr-sr because of the depth

I think you're getting some bad info, pin.

Success breeds success. So obviously alot of kids say if I'm not D1 then I want to be a D3 champ, and Wartburg has a good track record with those guys. That said, Wartburg's less than picky academic requirements are the only reason they stay a little ahead of Coe imo. Coach O's rise of Coe's program in D3 wrestling is really big considering they don't waiver on their academics like Wartburg.

Hey Pin, weren't you a D3 wrestler? Sounds like you got some sour grapes man; you're better than that.

when i was wrestling i didn't have a problem with it because the requirements weren't as harsh now when i hear we are getting verbals from kids and then they apply and can't get it and go to wartburg instead that stings! ive mentioned this before but there are 6 wrestlers whom committed to simpson but couldn't get in that are wrestling varsity for a college in iowa

put yourself in my shoes but if warturg tightened up their rules and everyone started going to simpson or central think those alums wouldn't say anything