Wait, Did the Big 12 Just Save College Football from Itself?

Want to clarify...the B12 has NOT agreed to to the six-year TV rights turnover to the conference...they are considering it...so it's not saved yet I guess ;)

Who is the Mike guy that commented on Jon's writing style in the article comments? What a dbag.

There are days when I dont like my writing style, nor my receding hairline....it is what it is however ;)

The guy's a professional journalist and still hasn't figured out the difference between a comma and an ellipsis. Yeah, his writing style is up for critique.

Last edited:
For those of us that are not wanting super conferences the survival of the Big 12 is a good news, bad news story. The Big East and Big 12 still end up being losers in what has transpired.

The Big East is essentially a dead man walking. It has no glamor programs and no real candidates to fill the void left by Pitt and Cuse exiting. The Big 12 still has two marque programs but the exit of Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M has weakened the conference. Get beyond Texas and Oklahoma and the conference has a spotty history of any football program with long term success. Adding BYU really will not move the needle much. The affect at this point is college football is down to 4.5 major conferences from 6.

The machinations that the Big 12 members will be tackling to save itself will not resolve the strategic disadvantages the conference faces. It exist in 5 states, three of which have populations below 3.5M. Missouri at over 5M and two big TV markets is in the most enviable position of the two teams not named Oklahoma or Texas. The big plum is Texas with 22M, which is greater than the sum of all the others.

Academically the conference does not have much strength. Texas is the best and only Missouri, Kansas and Iowa State are members of the AAU. The latter three would be below the lowest rated Big Ten University in one of the ranking systems. This makes the conference a bad fit for an institution that would prefer an academic affiliation like the ACC or B1G.

The move by A&M to the SEC is not clearly understood by those of us not from Texas. Until now the state of Texas was confined to the Big 12 and some minor conferences. Soon the best recruits in Texas have the option of playing for a Texas team in a conference considered the best in football. The introduction of the SEC into Texas will attract viewers and interest. The attractiveness of Oklahoma and Texas is being diminished by this move. Over time it will be more profound.

In the end it looks like the Big 12 has cancer and will put a band-aid on to treat itself. For Kansas, Missouri or Iowa State is this the kind of treatment to resolve your health problem?

Last edited:
Get beyond Texas and Oklahoma and the conference has a spotty history of any football program with long term success. Adding BYU really will not move the needle much. The affect at this point is college football is down to 4.5 major conferences from 6.

In the end it looks like the Big 12 has cancer and will put a band-aid on to treat itself. For Kansas, Missouri or Iowa State is this the kind of treatment to resolve your health problem?

Posts like this simply amuse me. The Big 12 has been the best league in the country so far. Losing A&M would probably, maybe drop us down to two. It is a good football league, aside from Kansas at least.

As to your last paragraph - what is your solution? Revenue sharing in Tier 1 and Tier 2 is likely going to happen as a result of all this. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about the LHN and Texas' ability to earn tier 3 money. It is what it is.

Posts like this simply amuse me. The Big 12 has been the best league in the country so far. Losing A&M would probably, maybe drop us down to two. It is a good football league, aside from Kansas at least.

Yes the B12 is having a good year but they are far from being considered the best football conference in the country. They are still #2 to the SEC this year and once TAMU leaves you are down to just 2 historically good football teams. All the rest of the schools in the B12 have success from time to time but nothing sustained.

As to your last paragraph - what is your solution? Revenue sharing in Tier 1 and Tier 2 is likely going to happen as a result of all this. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about the LHN and Texas' ability to earn tier 3 money. It is what it is.

I would be, you keep allowing Texas to do whatever they want then the B12 will never be fixed.

Last edited:

One or two years of football success may not translate in the long term. Like I expressed, the impact of the SEC is a few years down the road. Your opinion that the revenue sharing will cure the problems ignores the reality that UT is a rogue among the members. Nebraska, Colorado, A&M figured that out. Oklahoma has and so has Missouri or they would not have been associated with reliable rumors of being members of other conferences. Your thought is that the conference is going to get chemo, but Texas will tell you what you are going to get for treatment, that being a band-aid. Texas needs to be surgically removed.

Posts like this simply amuse me. The Big 12 has been the best league in the country so far. Losing A&M would probably, maybe drop us down to two. It is a good football league, aside from Kansas at least.QUOTE]

Absolutely not, It's the SEC and everyone else. They've won 5 straight. The Big 12 has had a good start to the year, but we've seen this happen before. Especially with Oklahoma, in '08 Oklahoma ended the year with 6 straight blow out wins in which they scored 58 points or more in each game. The last 3 of those were against highly ranked Big 12 foes. Then they go to the national title game and lose 24-14 to Tim Tebow University. Coming out and saying that a conference is better than the SEC currently is asinine and ludicrous. I know we all love our own conferences, "Yay B1G" and "Yay Big 12", but until another conference puts together consistent year in year out success the SEC will be the top dog.

The guy's a professional journalist and still hasn't figured out the difference between a comma and an ellipsis. Yeah, his writing style is up for critique.

People are free to critique and I certainly make mistakes from time to time, so it goes with the territory.

However, I have never called myself a journalist nor do I remotely think of myself as a journalist. Others get hung up on that, but not me.