Wagner at the 3

NikeHawk21

I think it’s time for this experiment to be over. (I’ll admit I kind of talked myself into thinking this could work). The spacing when he is out there is just awful. Teams aren’t going to respect his outside shot and he really doesn’t have the handle to be playing the position. When Baer is back the 3 should be manned by Baer, Nunge, and Dailey (who looked pretty good today). All those guys can shoot and handle the ball at the level needed to plays the 3.

Okay, so everyone is going to say Wagner needs to get minutes he’s one of our top defensive guys. Is he really though? He gets punished in the post by taller thicker players. So offensively he’s probably a 4, but at 6’7 defensively he can struggle at times guarding 4s, and as we know Cook & Pemsl are going to get the majority of the 4 minutes to begin with.

So where does that leave Wagner? I’m not totally sure. Thoughts?

Totally agree, Wagner is in no way shape or form a 3. He can guard other teams 3's, but on offense he can't score outside 5' from the basket. When Baer gets back hopefully this experiment dies.

Not to hijack a thread. But what do you guys think of Nunge at the 3? He's doing pretty good overall, but is he ok at the 3? I've only watched from my phone so far with shitty streams so it's hard to follow things like that.

Not to hijack a thread. But what do you guys think of Nunge at the 3? He's doing pretty good overall, but is he ok at the 3? I've only watched from my phone so far with shitty streams so it's hard to follow things like that.

Better than I thought he would be at the 3, I will say that. I thought his lack of lateral quickness would doom him vs. most wings. The thing is his length is just so hard to deal with for those guys, that even if they get a partial step on him, they know with his length he can still block their shot.

I think he looks good offensively and very sound in our Zone defense getting deflections and effecting shots. Had a couple dumb turnovers today but those can be cleaned up. Can be a mismatch at the 3. At times I thought the spacing was not great when he was in there but as long as he can keep making outside shots I think spacing will be fine with him at the 3.

I also like what I’ve seen from Dailey. He’s long and athletic so I imagine he can help us with perimeter D. Can shoot it and doesn’t make a lot of mistakes.

Good to hear guys thanks. Nunge at the 3 is the best way to get our best players on the court. I think Dailey might pass Ellingson soon. If not already.

Good to hear guys thanks. Nunge at the 3 is the best way to get our best players on the court. I think Dailey might pass Ellingson soon. If not already.
Isn’t it crazy to think that if things did trend that way, with Wagner and Ellingson moving down in the rotation that by the end of the year our bottom 3 (Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson) would all be upperclassmen.

Our top 10 would be 6 sophomores, 3 freshman, and 1 junior.

Isn’t it crazy to think that if things did trend that way, with Wagner and Ellingson moving down in the rotation that by the end of the year our bottom 3 (Uhl, Wagner, Ellingson) would all be upperclassmen.

Our top 10 would be 6 sophomores, 3 freshman, and 1 junior.

Yes it is. We have one loss that matters in two years.

Yes it is. We have one loss that matters in two years.
I don’t think there is any question there was back to back years of rather poor recruiting with the two classes of:

2014 - Uhl, Ellingson, Dickerson, Baer
2015 - Hutton, Moss, Fleming, Wagner, Williams, and Jones

It’s interesting to think where this program would be at if we didn’t get rather fortunate with Baer.

Either way recruiting has really picked up the last few years and hopefully we can keep that momentum going.

I don’t think there is any question there was back to back years of rather poor recruiting with the two classes of:

It’s interesting to think where this program would be at if we didn’t get rather fortunate with Baer.

Either way recruiting has really picked up the last few years and hopefully we can keep that momentum going.

That is an ugly list. I don't even really remember who we all missed out on in those two classes but that is pretty bad.

That is an ugly list. I don't even really remember who we all missed out on in those two classes but that is pretty bad.

It's only bad if they were all still here or major contributors. That's the beauty of roster management. Wagner started yesterday and got 11 minutes, Ellingson got 10, those are the 2 lowest of anyone who played. The others are completely gone and have been recruited over. I too hope Nunge gets the start until Baer Cage comes back and if not, the trend of him getting more minutes then anyone other bench player continues.

It's only bad if they were all still here or major contributors. That's the beauty of roster management. Wagner started yesterday and got 11 minutes, Ellingson got 10, those are the 2 lowest of anyone who played. The others are completely gone and have been recruited over. I too hope Nunge gets the start until Baer Cage comes back and if not, the trend of him getting more minutes then anyone other bench player continues.

No it's definitely still bad.

No it's definitely still bad.

No, no it's not. It would be bad if they were all still here. I think it's awesome actually. The less talented guys all find their way off the team and it's the nature of college basketball now. It would be bad if guys who actually contributed left.

I don't get Wagner starting at all, but Fran MUST have a reason for it. He starts the game and plays about 5 minutes and then sits the rest of the half. I can't think of a reason that makes sense to me, but Fran wouldn't start him two years in a row for no reason.

No, no it's not. It would be bad if they were all still here. I think it's awesome actually. The less talented guys all find their way off the team and it's the nature of college basketball now. It would be bad if guys who actually contributed left.

It's like a free pass, a roster spot. Take a flier on a kid who shows potential. If he isn't good enough, he'll be gone and that opens up the ship for someone better. I would agree that it would be bad if Iowa wasn't good at basketball.

You think this is actually two awesome recruiting classes haha.

If you get 1 major contributor per class that ain’t as bad as you are making it out to be. Don’t get me wrong it ain’t great, but it isn’t a total waste. Baer is good, and Moss could potentially be really good.

oh wow there are some names I had forgotten.

Apparently Trey Dickerson plays for Georgetown now? Must have grad transferred from South Dakota. He's only played in one of 3 games so far this year.

Looks like Hutton is at Northwestern State. Averaging 4 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.5 minutes. They are 0-4 on the season

Andrew Fleming is at Lipscomb. Averaging 7.2 points, 1.6 assists, 1.6 rebounds in 16.4 minutes. Currently 0-14 from 3 point land.

Looks like we didn't miss out on anything