Wadley: More Proof That Ferentz Doesn't Put the Best Players On the Field

For the Akrum Wadley lovers, his stats when the game was still within reach:

Iowa at 3:51 2nd Quarter
1st and 10 at IOWA 13
Akrum Wadley run for 3 yds to the Iowa 16

Iowa at 0:31 2nd Quarter
1st and 10 at IOWA 25
Akrum Wadley run for 5 yds to the Iowa 30
Akrum Wadley fumbled, forced by Cedric Thompson, recovered by Minn De'Vondre Campbell
IOWA DRIVE TOTALS: 1 play, 5 yards, 0:12

1st and 10 at IOWA 13

1st and 10 at IOWA 25
Akrum Wadley fumbled, forced by Cedric Thompson, recovered by Minn De'Vondre Campbell

Um we were in no way in the game when Wadley fumbled. Remind me the last time Iowa erased a 28pt deficit. The guy made a good play and poked the ball out on a player trying to make something happen on a lifeless team. Maybe Ferentz should've worked Wadley in early for a myriad of reasons. But that wouldn't be KF.

Well, another week where a running game was desperately needed. Another week where slow as a turtle Mark Weisman is called upon to run outside the tackles and ultimately average 2 yards per carry. Another week where our most talented RB, who could have gouged the Nebraska defense for well over 100 yards (if Gordon could run for 400 in 3 quarters against them), was nowhere to be found on the field or in Kirt's thoughts. Such a waste and such an embarrasment for the coaching staff.

CJ and Wadley would have been better off watching the game from a sports bar. At least they would have stayed warm and wouldn't have been let down thinking that maybe by practicing hard all year, they might get a fair chance at seeing the field.

Well, another week where a running game was desperately needed. Another week where slow as a turtle Mark Weisman is called upon to run outside the tackles and ultimately average 2 yards per carry. Another week where our most talented RB, who could have gouged the Nebraska defense for well over 100 yards (if Gordon could run for 400 in 3 quarters against them), was nowhere to be found on the field or in Kirt's thoughts. Such a waste and such an embarrasment for the coaching staff.

CJ and Wadley would have been better off watching the game from a sports bar. At least they would have stayed warm and wouldn't have been let down thinking that maybe by practicing hard all year, they might get a fair chance at seeing the field.

This is a good idea. Put the guy who is averaging a fumble about every 15 carries in at RB when we're turning the ball over like crazy.

IowaLaw, I hope you continue to find success in your coaching career.

This is a good idea. Put the guy who is averaging a fumble about every 15 carries in at RB when we're turning the ball over like crazy.

Why not? Jake got to stay out there and continue to embarrass himself. Let's keep Weisman out there though, we couldn't get by without 2 yards per carry.

Hahahahahaha

shows how little you really know...bullock hasn't played 50% all yr. he basically has played on the 3rd downs and sparingly in other downs. Kmm will probably go down as the most productive WR in Iowa history, so why should willies play in front of him. Vandeberg and kmm and smith all have catches of over 30 yds today.

Coaches es play the players they believe give them the best chance to win...anyone who doesn't believe that is not that smart as it is their job on the line at this level if they lose. Plus position coaches usually have a lot of say in who plays. I find it funny when people think the head coach makes all personnel decisions. The people with the players the most typically make those decisions.

sorry coach.
Vandeberg should be playing at Central.. He would not see the field at any decent division 1 team.
KMM is a decent receiver. The most productive wide receive comment speaks volumes about wide receivers at Iowa. KMM doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of playing in the NFL.
Smith and Powell could be good. We do not have a qb who can get the ball to them
Ferentz has a history of head scratching personnel decisions.

The Wisconsin running back who ran for 400 yards last week also had some fumbles in that game. Ferentz would have taken him out.
I will take a few fumbles from a kid if he has the ability to break some big runs. Weisman fumbled in our first series against Wisc. Gave them a fg which was the difference in the game. You can't play scared. put the talent on the field!!!

1st and 10 at IOWA 13

1st and 10 at IOWA 25

So you don't play him again?
That's why we suck.
That's why Ferentz can't recruit quality skill players to save his life.

Another week where slow as a turtle Mark Weisman is called upon to run outside the tackles and ultimately average 2 yards per carry. Another week where our most talented RB, who could have gouged the Nebraska defense for well over 100 yards (if Gordon could run f.

I dont blame Mark Weisman because the coaches called his number on wide sweep plays. Mark did pretty good between the tackles. And a faster Canzeri did not fare too well on the wide sweeps.

I blame the coaches and I am with you that you need to play runners like Wadley even if he only gets 5 carries in 8 appearances on the field.

Not playing CJ in the first half of wisky game when we sputtered and in the second half yesterday when JR was going through his each game swoon was terrible coaching.

It is observable fact that JR and this offense and the OC has a 30 minute bad spell every game which could be fixed by changing it up with CJ etc

Why not? Jake got to stay out there and continue to embarrass himself. Let's keep Weisman out there though, we couldn't get by without 2 yards per carry.

JR has 5 ints for the whole season. AW has 2 lost fumbles (and nearly a third one vs Illannoy) in 2.5ish games. Not comparable.

The Wisconsin running back who ran for 400 yards last week also had some fumbles in that game. Ferentz would have taken him out.
I will take a few fumbles from a kid if he has the ability to break some big runs. Weisman fumbled in our first series against Wisc. Gave them a fg which was the difference in the game. You can't play scared. put the talent on the field!!!

Weisman has 2 fumbles on the year (one of which vs Illannoy was actually a TD, not a fumble-ref fail). Wadley has two (and nearly a 3rd) in his limited playing time. I'm all for playing your talented players; but when they can't hold onto the ball, then no.

Weisman has 2 fumbles on the year (one of which vs Illannoy was actually a TD, not a fumble-ref fail). Wadley has two (and nearly a 3rd) in his limited playing time. I'm all for playing your talented players; but when they can't hold onto the ball, then no.

It's just an opinion of whether you are willing to trade possible tournovers for a chance at actually making some plays. Weisman gives you a very small chance of tournovers and a very small chance of making a play. Wadley gives you a pretty high risk of tournovers and a pretty high chance of making plays.

In my opinion it is almost impossible to overcome a running game that can't make plays. Wadley would have made plays and he might have fumbled. Even if he did, our defense still would have had a chance to overcome it or Wadley would have had a chance to make up for it with a bjg play later. It really backfires when the low risk guy fumbles anyway.

Wadley's sample was simply too small to say that he is fumble prone. A guy can take the field for one play and be hit just right to cause him to fumble. That doesn't make him a 100% fumble risk. Wadley is far and away our best back...his yards per carry prove it. If he had the chance to run against **** poor defenses like ISU, Ball State, etc., he would be averaging 10 yards per carry right now. A couple fumbles on big hits while he was stretching for extra yards (as opposed to Bullock falling down when someone so much as coughs in his direction) does not make the kid a fumble risk.

The facts are simple. As long as the coach stubbornly refuses to put the best players on the field, recruiting is going to be at the bottom of the Big Ten, and we are going to be a 6-4 ball club.

His sample size is too small to say he is fumble prone? But it is not so small that we can't all conclude that he is the greatest playmaker in college football?

Wadley's sample was simply too small to say that he is fumble prone. A guy can take the field for one play and be hit just right to cause him to fumble. That doesn't make him a 100% fumble risk. Wadley is far and away our best back...his yards per carry prove it. If he had the chance to run against **** poor defenses like ISU, Ball State, etc., he would be averaging 10 yards per carry right now. A couple fumbles on big hits while he was stretching for extra yards (as opposed to Bullock falling down when someone so much as coughs in his direction) does not make the kid a fumble risk.

The facts are simple. As long as the coach stubbornly refuses to put the best players on the field, recruiting is going to be at the bottom of the Big Ten, and we are going to be a 6-4 ball club.

I'd like to see your answer to thetrza's question

Wadley should have played more. He brought a different energy and excitement to the field. I love MW for what he does, but there is a time and a place for him to be used. Not every down. AW wouldn't have solved all of our problems, but using him more, along with CJB, and some of our more talented receivers would have made things a lot more interesting. But hey, that's football.

Latest posts