Visiting Utes Fan

RedLine

Hey Hawkeyes, Just dropping by. My senior year of college at Utah, a Hawkeyes grad moved in downstairs at the condo complex I lived in. He was a die hard Iowa fan. Utah and Iowa have similar passionate fanbases and tough assed football teams. From this Utes fan in SLC, go cause some havoc this year in B10. Go Hawkeyes!

Likewise much respect for Utah. They've done an excellent job transitioning into the PAC-12 and have played very, very well. Good luck on the up coming season.

Welcome! Call me old, but when I think of Utah Football, I think of Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. What a beast!

Won't hold it against your team that it once had Urban Meyer as coach. We had Steve Alford. I'll call it a wash. ;)

Hope you stick around and good luck to the Utes!

Hey Hawkeyes, Just dropping by. My senior year of college at Utah, a Hawkeyes grad moved in downstairs at the condo complex I lived in. He was a die hard Iowa fan. Utah and Iowa have similar passionate fanbases and tough assed football teams. From this Utes fan in SLC, go cause some havoc this year in B10. Go Hawkeyes!

Did you already brainwash him into being a Utah fan?!?

Welcome! Call me old, but when I think of Utah Football, I think of Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. What a beast!

Won't hold it against your team that it once had Urban Meyer as coach. We had Steve Alford. I'll call it a wash. ;)

Actually, kinda split on how the Ute fanbase views Urban Meyer at Utah so don't worry. He's visited Kyle Whittingham exactly once on campus, off camera, since he left. He definitely chose a nice landing spot of lot of talent from Ron McBride's recruits to use as a spring board for Florida.
The Ma'afala brothers are legend here. Iowa is a team to straight up root for. I've followed Iowa loosely for years but this year I'm going to actively follow.

Last edited:
Hey Red! Thanks for encouragement. Got to say I wouldn't mind seeing the Utes shake up the Pac12 while we are at it. Of course if these two teams really tear it up then I can say "hope to see you in Pasadena!"

FYI- I love your coach!

And every year I go hiking in the southern part of your state. Fly into Vegas(cheap), then short drive north to Zion, Bryce, etc all the way over to Page.

Hey Red! Thanks for encouragement. Got to say I wouldn't mind seeing the Utes shake up the Pac12 while we are at it. Of course if these two teams really tear it up then I can say "hope to see you in Pasadena!"
Roses from Utah to Iowa.
And every year I go hiking in the southern part of your state. Fly into Vegas(cheap), then short drive north to Zion, Bryce, etc all the way over to Page.
Check out Moab next time too. Longer drive but awesome rock climbing, hiking, river rafting. Havasupai too, though not in Utah, but a secret attraction of the area and not far from Vegas.

Go kick USC in the teeth this year. But watch out for the Buffalo's. Sneaky good.

Go kick USC in the teeth this year. But watch out for the Buffalo's. Sneaky good.
Thanks AH. USC will be a tough one at the Collosium. We've gone back and forth but the home team usually wins. Wyoming isn't a slouch gimme first game, but at Kinnick is an ideal practice run to get the gears ready to take care of business at the Cylones. Go Hawks!

Roses from Utah to Iowa.

Check out Moab next time too. Longer drive but awesome rock climbing, hiking, river rafting. Havasupai too, though not in Utah, but a secret attraction of the area and not far from Vegas.

I've been to Utah only once, Salt Lake City when Iowa played in the NCAA Tournament. It's a beautiful state. It's hard to get alcohol though:) Seriously, it was a pain in the butt. Have you been to Sundance before? Robert Redford built that place. Heard it's great for skiing. I really love the western states like Montana, Wyoming and parts of South Dakota. I still want to visit Washington some day. Nevada is okay, but feels more like a desert than anything, Vegas is fun.

I've been to Utah only once, Salt Lake City when Iowa played in the NCAA Tournament. It's a beautiful state. It's hard to get alcohol though:) Seriously, it was a pain in the butt. Have you been to Sundance before? Robert Redford built that place. Heard it's great for skiing. I really love the western states like Montana, Wyoming and parts of South Dakota. I still want to visit Washington some day. Nevada is okay, but feels more like a desert than anything, Vegas is fun.
Hard to get alcohol in Utah? Um, yeah. Hate to say the sterotype is true. We're the state changing the legal driving limit to .05 in the country as Colorado and Nevada are legalizing marijuana. But would also say, we have some great breweries here. Case in point, Wastach Brewery's Polygamy Porter: Why Have Just One. SLC itself is very metro normal. But the state as a whole is Momo conservative. Park City is an anomaly of real Utah because it's a place that doesn't feel at all like Utah in a good way. Michael Jordan owns a home here as well as many other rich celebs, but really it's a ghost town for the majority of year. Not by chance USC marching showed up in Park City.

How on earth did you remember to spell his name? I am a Steeler fan and I still butcher it.

Just think that guy came in to give Bettis a breather.

Utah had a punter named Sakota the guy was an all around athlete as well IIRC, played some DB, WR maybe QB? Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe he just faked a punt once against Michigan

Yes, and thanks for that Iowa State beatdown in Ames not too long ago. Some guy with a funny name just torched their defense over and over again. Total blowout.

Utah had a punter named Sakota the guy was an all around athlete as well IIRC, played some DB, WR maybe QB? Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe he just faked a punt once against Michigan
Yes, Louie Sakota. King Louie colloquially. Total respect for knowing that guy. A family these days now working in finance.

Latest posts