Vines Might be the missing piece

ChosenChildren

I was at the game and noticed how fast Vines is, and how often he was getting open. And I felt his threat was allowing other receivers like Ragaini to get some space.

Purdue has a very suspect secondary. I hope Iowa goes vertical with Vines early and often.

I was at the game and noticed how fast Vines is, and how often he was getting open. And I felt his threat was allowing other receivers like Ragaini to get some space.

Purdue has a very suspect secondary. I hope Iowa goes vertical with Vines early and often.
Still going to come down to whether this OL can block Purdue. Open receivers are worthless as tits on a boar if your QB is getting pressured every down. We've seen what happens when Petras has time, and what he can do when he gets pressured. That is the difference.

Still going to come down to whether this OL can block Purdue. Open receivers are worthless as tits on a boar if your QB is getting pressured every down. We've seen what happens when Petras has time, and what he can do when he gets pressured. That is the difference.
NW didn't really have a threat as far as a rush and this proved your point. That has been the key thing missing with this team. NW might just be really bad. I also think Iowa might have found a competent mixture on the line. Maybe not be dominant but might be enough to be competitive. Moving Coby inside is prob good with Plumb now at the tackle. They seemed to protect very well last Saturday.

This goes back to my thread on the OL because for Vines to get open and for Petras to get him the ball the line needs to sustain their blocks for longer than a second. While I'm not sold that the line is fixed because of how bad Northwestern is, from my seats the line looked better. We will soon find out as Purdue is better upfront defensively than Northwestern.

This goes back to my thread on the OL because for Vines to get open and for Petras to get him the ball the line needs to sustain their blocks for longer than a second. While I'm not sold that the line is fixed because of how bad Northwestern is, from my seats the line looked better. We will soon find out as Purdue is better upfront defensively than Northwestern.

Did that polish kid graduate or is he still on the team? That sumnabitch killed us last year.

Agree, although Iowa was in a two tight end set a lot, and that certainly helped protection. Moving Colby to the inside seemed to help as well, at least on Saturday.

The Purdue game is going to be very interesting. Purdue is good but not as good as the team we played last year.

To be fair even OSU's QB goes from 72% when unmolested to 48% when hurried. The difference is the OSU's line is blocking better than Iowa's.
(Saw it on a broadcast this last weekend.)

This^^^.

Average Iowa fan: Petras only throws short to medium passes. He needs to throw deep so much more!
Iowa fans who watch the oline: He doesn't have the time to allow plays to develop often enough.

Average Iowa fan: There were WRs open deep all day, Petras never sees them.
Iowa fans who watch the oline: He was sacked 6 times today waiting for the play to develop to pass to them.

To be fair even OSU's QB goes from 72% when unmolested to 48% when hurried. The difference is the OSU's line is blocking better than Iowa's.
(Saw it on a broadcast this last weekend.)
Any QB is going to fall off when they're under the heat. That's the point of what I'm saying.

Diante Vines could be Randy Moss, but if Petras isn't getting help from his front Vines isn't gonna make a bit of difference.

Any QB is going to fall off when they're under the heat. That's the point of what I'm saying.

Diante Vines could be Randy Moss, but if Petras isn't getting help from his front Vines isn't gonna make a bit of difference.
Some of the throws that Petras makes or has dropped are some of the best throws I've ever seen by a Hawk QB. There is a flip side... They are similar to Vlasic,

Exactly. I just thought it was really interesting because I remember seeing Spencer's numbers looking about the same, percentage wise.

There is no doubt that when Spencer misses, he misses spectacularly. But conversely, when he is on, he drops dimes on postage stamps.

Saturday was a happy medium.