Vines a Hawk

Not every kid gets a private workout or attends camp. The talent portion is often based on film. The “does it right” portion is separate.

Very few get offers without coming to camp or getting a workout in front of the coaches. It usually takes a special talent or highly recommended from someone they trust before they offer without some sort of inhouse/presence evaluation - and no offer comes without a discussion with the player and family. Not sure where you get your information but it's obviously not from within the Iowa coaching fraternity...

Very few get offers without coming to camp or getting a workout in front of the coaches. It usually takes a special talent or highly recommended from someone they trust before they offer without some sort of inhouse/presence evaluation - and no offer comes without a discussion with the player and family. Not sure where you get your information but it's obviously not from within the Iowa coaching fraternity...
Did he camp at Iowa? I'm not sure. I guess we were lucky to convince him away from Army and Fordham.

Did he camp at Iowa? I'm not sure. I guess we were lucky to convince him away from Army and Fordham.
Doesn't look like it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had done a workout for Copeland during some in home visits. BTW other schools were knocking... HN article quote: "Penn State, Boston College, Syracuse and Maryland are the schools yet to offer Vines that are showing the most interest." With Iowa's record with WR's, a 6'1" receiver with speed and the numbers he had in 8 games, they can't afford to let one slip a away.

Doesn't look like it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had done a workout for Copeland during some in home visits. BTW other schools were knocking... HN article quote: "Penn State, Boston College, Syracuse and Maryland are the schools yet to offer Vines that are showing the most interest."

He ended up with offers from Syracuse, a Top 25, team last year, and Boston College, a solid program producing NFL talent.

He ended up with offers from Syracuse, a Top 25, team last year, and Boston College, a solid program producing NFL talent.
Syracuse isn't exactly a football powerhouse. I often see them as the one lone D1 offer with kids that have a load of MAC offers. Again, I hope the kid surprises, but his pedigree/skill set seem similar to WR's we've seen throughout the Ferentz era.

Syracuse isn't exactly a football powerhouse. I often see them as the one lone D1 offer with kids that have a load of MAC offers. Again, I hope the kid surprises, but his pedigree/skill set seem similar to WR's we've seen throughout the Ferentz era.
I think you're confusing mid-2000s Syracuse for all time Syracuse. They've got a pretty solid football history, and gave Clemson possibly their closest shave last year en route to a 10-win season.

Dino Babers is a damn good coach too, having won and won quickly at every school he's been at.

Syracuse finished 15th in both polls last year at 10-3, beating West Virginia in a bowl. It lost by four points at Clemson after beating it the year before. Dino Babers is a good coach.

Boston College has played in bowl games the last three years and five of the last six. Steve Addazio is a good coach.

But, by all means, point out that Iowa beat out Army and Fordham for this kid because that's fits the narrative a ripping a high school kid who committed to your school. That takes a special person.

(Please give me a reason to boot your ass. You're hanging by a thread as it is)

I think you're confusing mid-2000s Syracuse for all time Syracuse. They've got a pretty solid football history, and gave Clemson possibly their closest shave last year en route to a 10-win season.

Dino Babers is a damn good coach too, having won and won quickly at every school he's been at.

Yeah, we're really reaching to make this kid's offer list more than it is. Syracuse/Army/BC/Minnesota all do the same thing we've been doing for a long time at WR--skim the perceivable cream off MAC-level talent. However, we have been getting high quality TE recruits which fits the Iowa mold--nothing new here. High quality TE will compliment Iowa's possession/blocking WR's very well. I really don't think the Ferentz's have any plans to blow the doors off at the WR position. I think they DO want to reinvigorate our running game to Ferentz's mainstay run-first plan. Our run game has slacked during a time when we have had once in a generation TE talent.

Syracuse finished 15th in both polls last year at 10-3, beating West Virginia in a bowl. It lost by four points at Clemson after beating it the year before. Dino Babers is a good coach.

Boston College has played in bowl games the last three years and five of the last six. Steve Addazio is a good coach.

But, by all means, point out that Iowa beat out Army and Fordham for this kid because that's fits the narrative a ripping a high school kid who committed to your school. That takes a special person.

(Please give me a reason to boot your ass. You're hanging by a thread as it is)
I have nothing personal against the kid Howe. There's nothing I've said to this effect. If Iowa recruited a 5'11 170 lber at Center, I'd expect there to be natural fan criticism. This case is not that extreme--I'm just pointing out the over the top reaction any of our recruits seem to get without analyzing the deeper coaching philosophy. And again, I hope the kids a unanimous All-American. People criticized the Josey Jewell recruitment too--look what he did.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're really reaching to make this kid's offer list more than it is. Syracuse/Army/BC/Minnesota all do the same thing we've been doing for a long time at WR--skim the perceivable cream off MAC-level talent. However, we have been getting high quality TE recruits which fits the Iowa mold--nothing new here. High quality TE will compliment Iowa's possession/blocking WR's very well. I really don't think the Ferentz's have any plans to blow the doors off at the WR position. I think they DO want to reinvigorate our running game to Ferentz's mainstay run-first plan. Our run game has slacked during a time when we have had once in a generation TE talent.
Seems to me like it's the other way around. You're fighting tooth and nail to convince everyone this isn't a good pickup.

What knowledgeable Iowa fan reasonably balks at an offer list that contains multiple, non-garbage P5 teams (even if Minnesota hands offers out like candy), one of the hottest G5 teams in the country in Army, and purported interest from numerous other P5 schools?

Keep digging that hole I guess. You already have your mind made up.

Seems to me like it's the other way around. You're fighting tooth and nail to convince everyone this isn't a good pickup.

What knowledgeable Iowa fan reasonably balks at an offer list that contains multiple, non-garbage P5 teams (even if Minnesota hands offers out like candy), one of the hottest G5 teams in the country in Army, and purported interest from numerous other P5 schools?

Keep digging that hole I guess. You already have your mind made up.
1.) I'm saying this is an average WR pickup in the mold of Ferentz's WR recruits over the past 20 years. There is a belief that we're up-trending at WR. This may be the case with the players we currently have on the field. But in my opinion, and based on watching his film, and looking at his offer list--he's an average Ferentz WR recruit. This doesn't correspond with the belief that WR is on the upswing.
2.) What knowledgeable Iowa fan? Any one that's been paying even a modicum of attention over the past 20 years. The Ferentz's might even openly tell you this. At positions we are not "known for" we try to skim the best MAC talent we can get.
3.) If the running game gets back to form, WR will be much less consequential and this whole discussion will become somewhat moot.

1.) I'm saying this is an average WR pickup in the mold of Ferentz's WR recruits over the past 20 years. There is a belief that we're up-trending at WR. This may be the case with the players we currently have on the field. But in my opinion, and based on watching his film, and looking at his offer list--he's an average Ferentz WR recruit. This doesn't correspond with the belief that WR is on the upswing.
2.) What knowledgeable Iowa fan? Any one that's been paying even a modicum of attention over the past 20 years. The Ferentz's might even openly tell you this. At positions we are not "known for" we try to skim the best MAC talent we can get.
3.) If the running game gets back to form, WR will be much less consequential and this whole discussion will become somewhat moot.

LOL, I bet if you looked at 10 different 5 min. WR highlight films that you couldn't tell if he was a MAC recruit or a P5 recruit if you didn't google them and see who their offers were from. I do think you might be able to distinguish the very top elite 4* and 5* WR, but as Kirk Ferentz says, even his mother could do that. Basically you are clueless, and everyone here knows is, but you it seems.

Dude.... WR recruiting has varied widely over the KF tenure. It's not a monolith. WR recruiting starting with GDGD has been a bit of a challenge. A hole was dug and it took a while to get it turned around. before Davis, there was nothing wrong with our WR recruiting...
But seriously, give it a rest. Vines is a Hawkeye, presumably so are you. Although I question that with some of your posts.

Latest posts