VIDEO: Shonn Greene's Excessive Celebration Penalty

Greene's best TD celebration?

• Putting the Patriots to sleep (Playoffs, 2011)

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • LT finger roll (Playoffs, 2010)

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Pointing to the green student section (PSU, 2008)

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Not celebrating at all

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
That was without a doubt the most disgusting and classless thing I have ever seen. Act like a man, act like you have been there before. If I were in... wait... they were playing the Patriots? Nice job, carry on.

That's exactly what I said. I turned to my wife and said "normally, I'd disapprove, but we're talking about the freakin Patriots here." :)

To those of you who had no problem with Greene's celebration and subsequent penalty for it,

Would you feel the same way had Brady and the Pats completed the improbable 14 pt comeback? I doubt it. There would be threads on the football boards talking about how dumb Greene was doing for it. I'll go ahead and admit that it was funny, but I'm not going to excuse him for doing it. Still a really dumb move on his part, and the fact that his coach encourages it shows his intelligence level as well

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts....

I loved it, I have been rooting for the Jets since the HBO show and obviously for Greene. I voted for the last year celebration just because of the run. Pretty funny that it involved Cromartie and LT last year, and now they are all teamates.

Would there have been a penalty if his teammate hadn't tucked him in? Isn't that what the NFL rule stipulates...that you can't have props or multiple people engaging in a celebratory act? In other words, was the penalty really Greene's fault or on the lineman who tucked him in? Just curious.

Instead of woe as me again, be bold, brash and have some swagger. Then go out on the field and back it up. Greene and the Jets did. I hope to someday see the Hawkeyes do the same to The Ohio State University.

I'd like to see that as well. I like KF and most of the time I like the fact that he's so calm, cool, and collected... But what if he said next year to the team, the media..."Look [NW],[Ohio],[Whisky].. this is personal and were coming after you"...and then did a Hulk "your making me angry" roar.... And then go out and kick some a$$, that would be awesome!

so shonn doesn't get called for that penalty, the patriots don't march and score quickly? the jets were in prevent defense. there was 1:41 left in the game and the jets were up by 2 scores. 15 yards isn't going to effect the outcome of the game too much. stop acting like a 15 yard penalty was THAT big of a deal

I think some of you are fun-haters. Rex Ryan is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Billichek. From the way he coaches to the way he runs his program. I'm sure there is behind the scenes discipline we don't see, but the Jets just ooze swagger, and it all starts with Rex Ryan.

In actuality, I thought the refs were quick to throw the flag. Shonn didn't really do anything blatantly antagonizing by laying on the ground. It was AFTER the flag was flown than Shonn, Braylon Edwards and a couple other players started "flying" around the endzone like JETS!

Seriously, if that had happened in the 1st quarter, I would have been mad. I'm guessing Rex Ryan would have been upset also. This happened at the very end of the game and locked up a JETS victory over a team that had previously blown their doors off. A great time to celebrate. Lighten up everyone.

Would there have been a penalty if his teammate hadn't tucked him in? Isn't that what the NFL rule stipulates...that you can't have props or multiple people engaging in a celebratory act? In other words, was the penalty really Greene's fault or on the lineman who tucked him in? Just curious.

Yes. 3 thinks in the NFL are automatic flags.

1) Using a prop in a celebration
2) Doing choreographed celebration with a teamate
3) Going to the gound as part of your celebration

Jim Nantz (Hello friends and welcome to a tradition like no other) clearly wanted the Pats to win. Pretty boy Brady and their whole personna. Glad to see NE go down in flames. Don't have to listen to the Belichek crap for another year

wow ppl are reading to far into this...ppl actually offended? come on!

Offended is not the word I'd use. But I will not back off that is was a really dumb thing for Shonn for do. And it nearly came back to bite him. If the Pats recover that onside kick around the 50 with 30 seconds left I don't give it great odds they score a TD, but it's certainly not out of the question either.

The smart thing to do would have been taking a knee on the one yard line. Scoring was the Patriot's only hope of staying in the game. Had Greene not scored, the Patriots never would have gotten the ball back.

The 15 yard penalty didn't make one bit of difference in that game.....as many of you would like to think.

The Patriots scored on their next possession because the Jets went extremely conservative on defense, not because they gave up a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

Lets keep some perspective here.

I think some of you are fun-haters. Rex Ryan is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Billichek. From the way he coaches to the way he runs his program. I'm sure there is behind the scenes discipline we don't see, but the Jets just ooze swagger, and it all starts with Rex Ryan.

In actuality, I thought the refs were quick to throw the flag. Shonn didn't really do anything blatantly antagonizing by laying on the ground. It was AFTER the flag was flown than Shonn, Braylon Edwards and a couple other players started "flying" around the endzone like JETS!

Seriously, if that had happened in the 1st quarter, I would have been mad. I'm guessing Rex Ryan would have been upset also. This happened at the very end of the game and locked up a JETS victory over a team that had previously blown their doors off. A great time to celebrate. Lighten up everyone.

+1

Liking the Jets was not easy, but then here comes Shonn Greene. I know LT gets all the media hyperbole, but Shonn completes them as a full offensive team (an fortunately, the Jets know that). Rex Ryan is fun. Like I said, liking them was not easy, but I always find myself rooting for them, and especially against the Pats. Here's hoping New York wins the Super Bowl this year.

It should not have been a penalty, but it did go against the written rule. Came at a good time. These guys have a lot of emotion built in and it's nice to see it be let out in positive ways, ala scoring a TD, (to ice a game).

The 15 yard penalty didn't make one bit of difference in that game.....as many of you would like to think.

The Patriots scored on their next possession because the Jets went extremely conservative on defense, not because they gave up a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

Lets keep some perspective here.

Were the Jets in the prevent D while the Pats were in the red zone as well? Brady threw back to back strikes for TDs. Welker dropped his but Branch held on. I'll say it again, they recover that onside kick and manage to score a TD and no one is on this site talking about how awesome Greene's TD celebration was. We're talking about how he's the goat who helped cost the Jets a chance at the SB.

It's amazing to me that so many people posting on this thread can only see through their black and gold sunglasses, or just hate the Pats and don't care how they get beat. I understand the latter more so than the former.

Were the Jets in the prevent D while the Pats were in the red zone as well? Brady threw back to back strikes for TDs. Welker dropped his but Branch held on. I'll say it again, they recover that onside kick and manage to score a TD and no one is on this site talking about how awesome Greene's TD celebration was. We're talking about how he's the goat who helped cost the Jets a chance at the SB.
It's amazing to me that so many people posting on this thread can only see through their black and gold sunglasses, or just hate the Pats and don't care how they get beat. I understand the latter more so than the former.

Wrong, we would be talking about the total meltdown of the Jets D. 15 yds did not make the difference, nor would it have if the outcome was different.

And as others have stated, that was not a SG penalty, half the Jets team and coaching staff was darn near in the endzone after that play.

Wrong, we would be talking about the total meltdown of the Jets D. 15 yds did not make the difference, nor would it have if the outcome was different.

And as others have stated, that was not a SG penalty, half the Jets team and coaching staff was darn near in the endzone after that play.

Wrong. He went to the ground. So yes it was SG's penalty. Same reason Jared Allen can no longer go to his knee to do his rope 'em thing after he gets a sack.

The smart thing to do would have been taking a knee on the one yard line. Scoring was the Patriot's only hope of staying in the game. Had Greene not scored, the Patriots never would have gotten the ball back.

I was thinking that too, TH...but then I changed my stance on it when you consider the time left, you may as well take the extra TD and make them try to score two TDs in under 2 minutes.

By the way, considering all of the trash talking going back and forth, and how Brady gets this "good guy" image thing talked about non-stop when you can clearly see during games that he's actually pretty douchy, I have no problem with SG taking a nap after making the building so quiet...

Latest posts