VIDEO: Shonn Greene's Excessive Celebration Penalty

Greene's best TD celebration?

• Putting the Patriots to sleep (Playoffs, 2011)

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • LT finger roll (Playoffs, 2010)

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Pointing to the green student section (PSU, 2008)

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Not celebrating at all

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
I didn't like Nantz's comment/disapproval of the celebration. I mean I know we're talking about Tom Brady, but 1:41, down 2 TD's? Give me a break, those 15 yards weren't going to matter much.

I didn't like Nantz's comment/disapproval of the celebration. I mean I know we're talking about Tom Brady, but 1:41, down 2 TD's? Give me a break, those 15 yards weren't going to matter much.

Did you watch the rest of that game? Pats went down in scored in about 1 min and kicked another onside with :30 sec left. They get that onside (like they nearly did the kick prior to that) and I wouldn't have counted Brady out at all. As much as its great to see a former Hawkeye doing work in the playoffs like that, it's disappointing to see Greene taking on the persona of the rest of that team.

That was without a doubt the most disgusting and classless thing I have ever seen. Act like a man, act like you have been there before. If I were in... wait... they were playing the Patriots? Nice job, carry on.

That was without a doubt the most disgusting and classless thing I have ever seen. Act like a man, act like you have been there before. If I were in... wait... they were playing the Patriots? Nice job, carry on.

EXACTLY why I loved it! Lol

Did you watch the rest of that game? Pats went down in scored in about 1 min and kicked another onside with :30 sec left. They get that onside (like they nearly did the kick prior to that) and I wouldn't have counted Brady out at all. As much as its great to see a former Hawkeye doing work in the playoffs like that, it's disappointing to see Greene taking on the persona of the rest of the NFL.

Fixed it for you :cool:

I've never been a fan of the showboating and never will be, whether a former Hawkeye or not. But it's the NFL. That's the way it is now. I prefer the days of Gale Sayers and Jim Brown. Run over, by and through people, get up and go back to the huddle.

But having said that, winning is the objective. The Jets were brash and bold and full of swagger, before the game, during the game and after the game. And they WON. The "classy" Pats lost. In a perfect world, win with class, but the thought did occur to me that I might not mind seeing Iowa take on the Jets' persona -- play against type -- next time we meet up with Ohio State...say in the Big Ten Championship game next December.

Instead of woe as me again, be bold, brash and have some swagger. Then go out on the field and back it up. Greene and the Jets did. I hope to someday see the Hawkeyes do the same to The Ohio State University.

I think it was pretty clear sexy rexy did not find anything wrong with it. Which makes him just about as dumb. Too bad NE couldn't grab one of those onside kicks and serve up some poetic justice.

No, no, no. It was Shonnie and the Jets time. Was glad to see them hold on for the win.

I gotta admit I totally don't care when a former Hawkeye does stuff like that. Too much of a homer for that. It's a little disappointing he cost the team a penalty though.

What really annoys me is when a receiver jumps up and flexes to the crowd after a 6 yard gain on 3rd-and-10 when his team is already losing by 3 TDs. What the heck are you cheering about?

I'll take the PSU TD for this poll because he was a Hawk at the time but if I had my real choice it would be the 'Hulk Out' pose he did after killing Frank Duong on that 2nd TD run against Purdue.

Last edited:
Considering how much talking there was before and during the game between both teams, I would say that Greene's celebration was fitting and deserved. For those Patriots that are calling it classless i happen to remember them taunting the chargers sideline at the end of a playoff game a few years ago. That was kind of classless.

To those of you who had no problem with Greene's celebration and subsequent penalty for it,

Would you feel the same way had Brady and the Pats completed the improbable 14 pt comeback? I doubt it. There would be threads on the football boards talking about how dumb Greene was doing for it. I'll go ahead and admit that it was funny, but I'm not going to excuse him for doing it. Still a really dumb move on his part, and the fact that his coach encourages it shows his intelligence level as well

Latest posts