Very interesting article from orangebloods.com on how the Big 12 was saved.

Chip Brown was Dodd's puppet, and now he wants to rehash what "orangebloods.com reported. Get over yourself Chip.

From Brown's article:

"Now, those three schools are guaranteed to start making $20 million immediately. No waiting. No fuss no muss - $20 million.

That number is better than the payout of the SEC ($17.4 million) for Texas A&M. It also is better than the Pac-10, which initially sold the Big 12 schools on a number of $20 million starting in 2012, but later said it might take a year or two to scale to $20 million, according to sources. The initial number might be closer to $17 million in 2012 and $20 million by 2013 or 2014. So suddenly Texas is better off by $3 million with no waiting."

To suggest that Texas was willing to stay in the Big XII for a measly $3 million per year is absolutely ludicrous. I'm willing to bet, given the current estate tax laws and the lack of any tax this year, that alumni donations will out pace this money 30 to 1. Texas is not hurting for money Chip, hidden behind this thinly veiled argument that the Big XII is essentially worth $3 million to Texas is the fact that this was nothing short of a power play by Texas to have the ultimate authority over their conference.

Try all you want Chip but you can't polish a turd, and that turd right now is the Big XII - 2.

There is more to the story than Texas Whorns' Propaganda Minister, Chip Brown would have you believe:

1. Texas was negotiating to move to the PacX for months prior to Nebraska parting for the B10.
  2. Texas strong-armed the PacX in the eleventh hour to allow them to keep Bevo Network. The PacX told the Whorns to pound sand thus unraveling the whole deal.
  3. KU was not replacing Okie Lite in the PacX but aTm.
  4. Texas politicians strong-armed aTm to remain in the B12 rather than go to the SEC.
  5. Beebe (Texas boot licking puppet commissioner for the B12) strong-armed the weak links in the B12 (MU, ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor) for Texas to give up their share of the NU/CU mythical payout to Texas and company (paying tribute to their masters). They were told that this would be the incentive needed for Texas and company to walk away from the PacX thus keeping the B12 in one piece (this was done even though Texas already knew they weren't going to the PacX).
  6. Beebe made up payouts from television revenues that aren't likely to mollify the weak children of the B12.

This is what the B12 has been putting up with for the last 14 years. Is it any wonder that Nebraska and Colorado wanted out?

Last edited:
Thanks MesaClone. Interesting. Sounds to me like ABC/ESPN honoring their deal thru 2016 is what saved the Big12. If they do not, Texas bolts & all h--l breaks loose.

I would agree that this was more about the networks getting what they want than anything else. And Husker, there's nothing mythical about he payout...those revenues will be withheld from NU over the next year or so. That's real money.

I think your numbered list is pretty accurate. However, what you ate missing is the downward projection for the Pac Ten Network once USC got hammered. Reports I heard dropped interest by about 30% if USC is not a NC contender.

That downward projection led Texas to push harder for Bevo and also made the Pac Ten think it might just be best to take the limited revenue from a championship game and wait to go big with expansion.

Clone,

Nebraska will be laughing all the way to the bank in the long run, though.

Yes. I noticed when he outlined the "losers" at the bottom he did not have Nebraska included. He made mention to Nebraska in the fans portion but did not single out Nebraska as a loser in this. He may even realize it's a sweet deal for Nebraska. Colorado may regret biting so fast out of sheer fright.

I would agree that this was more about the networks getting what they want than anything else. And Husker, there's nothing mythical about he payout...those revenues will be withheld from NU over the next year or so. That's real money.

Their lawyers might have a little bit to say about that. And if they just decide to say F it, not worth the hassle, keep the cash, rest assured that Jamie Pollard Inc. won't see a penny of it.

You're neck deep in Bevo s***, clones. Better learn to enjoy the vile stench. Might want to develop an appreciation for the flavor too.

There is no question that the money will be withheld, but the question is whether they will be allowed to keep it. I don't think Nebraska will go down without a fight.

There is no question that the money will be withheld, but the question is whether they will be allowed to keep it. I don't think Nebraska will go down without a fight.

This will be interesting to say the least. I would LOVE to see the Huskers fight this all the way with lawyers. Put Texas in court, having them testify as to what conferences they were talking to, what they were promising those conferences, etc. I don't think Texas wants those types of things to see the light of day, so I think there will be an agreement reached as to the "penalty" money for leaving the conference......

Latest posts