Very good piece on Tucker/Situation from Rob Howe

I agree with most of what Rob has to say about the current state of the program. That is on Lick. I think the players leaving early (with the exceptions of T.Smith and J.Kelly) reflect an overall dissatisfaction or miscommunication in the program that needs to be fixed or it is time to move on. I think another year or 2 is OK to try to try turn things around if progress is seen in those areas mentioned above.

However, I do not think Lick has to own the Tucker miscue itself - that is on the young man in question. There does need to be personal accountability in everyone's life. If it is a problem, hopefully Tucker can get it addressed. If it is a young person making bad decisions a few times, then that has to be addressed. The extra responsibility of being an athlete on scholarship does not seem to be something he has thought about and he needs to realize this. I hope he gets the help he needs to straighten things out as a person first, then he can address his athletic life.

I agree with most of what Rob has to say about the current state of the program. That is on Lick. I think the players leaving early (with the exceptions of T.Smith and J.Kelly) reflect an overall dissatisfaction or miscommunication in the program that needs to be fixed or it is time to move on. I think another year or 2 is OK to try to try turn things around if progress is seen in those areas mentioned above.

However, I do not think Lick has to own the Tucker miscue itself - that is on the young man in question. There does need to be personal accountability in everyone's life. If it is a problem, hopefully Tucker can get it addressed. If it is a young person making bad decisions a few times, then that has to be addressed. The extra responsibility of being an athlete on scholarship does not seem to be something he has thought about and he needs to realize this. I hope he gets the help he needs to straighten things out as a person first, then he can address his athletic life.

I would agree with that. While the comparison of Lickliter to a CEO is a good one, there isn't any way that he's able to know where every one of his players are at all times. To expect Lickliter to know what all the guys on his roster are up to at night is not realistic.

If Tucker has a alcohol problem, that needs to be his - and Lickliter's - first priority.

I totally agree that Lick cannot know what everyone is doing at all times. And I think the second chance that Anthony was afforded by Todd and Iowa was the right thing to do. To think that Tucker was back out at a party, during the season, allegedly drinking, is very disappointing.

There is a difference when you are just an underaged college student out drinking (still against the law, but I am not naive) and when you are a Big Ten scholarship athlete.

We all make choices. We all have the time to weigh the outcome of those choices. Many of us don't put the time in to count the costs before we do something, no matter our ages, and only make real changes when we are faced with horrible ramifications or ultimatims. For some, they don't get that chance because they must go to jail, or they die.

I hope the kid gets help, if he needs it. If its a maturity problem and he cannot make the choices he needs to make to be a basketball player at Iowa, then that opportunity will be taken from him. It may be to that point already.

And Lick and Anthony's teammates must face the music with that one. It was a really selfish decision on Anthony's part, because its going to hurt people that went to bat for him in a big way.

And after a while, just as was the case with Alford, the cumulative aspects of the transfers and transgressions becomes the elephant in the corner.

I totally agree that Lick cannot know what everyone is doing at all times. And I think the second chance that Anthony was afforded by Todd and Iowa was the right thing to do. To think that Tucker was back out at a party, during the season, allegedly drinking, is very disappointing.

There is a difference when you are just an underaged college student out drinking (still against the law, but I am not naive) and when you are a Big Ten scholarship athlete.

We all make choices. We all have the time to weigh the outcome of those choices. Many of us don't put the time in to count the costs before we do something, no matter our ages, and only make real changes when we are faced with horrible ramifications or ultimatims. For some, they don't get that chance because they must go to jail, or they die.

I hope the kid gets help, if he needs it. If its a maturity problem and he cannot make the choices he needs to make to be a basketball player at Iowa, then that opportunity will be taken from him. It may be to that point already.

And Lick and Anthony's teammates must face the music with that one. It was a really selfish decision on Anthony's part, because its going to hurt people that went to bat for him in a big way.

And after a while, just as was the case with Alford, the cumulative aspects of the transfers and transgressions becomes the elephant in the corner.
Totally agree on all points, Jon.

Well I sit at lunch with a lot of guys at work and I'm the only one who says we're getting better. The rest say get rid of the coach and that this team stinks. I dont defend the coaching because I cant. But I think the guys playing could use a show of fan support. Alot of times with Hawkeye sports teams we aren't the most talented teams but the fans get our players jacked and they rise up to the occasion. Somewhere our fanbase disconnected from the basketball team. I just hope we can fix this sometime down the road. I cheer for my team win or lose. Go Hawks!

My apathy towards the bball program is at an all-time high. I'm looking forward to the Orange Bowl and then spring practice.

Well I sit at lunch with a lot of guys at work and I'm the only one who says we're getting better. The rest say get rid of the coach and that this team stinks. I dont defend the coaching because I cant. But I think the guys playing could use a show of fan support. Alot of times with Hawkeye sports teams we aren't the most talented teams but the fans get our players jacked and they rise up to the occasion. Somewhere our fanbase disconnected from the basketball team. I just hope we can fix this sometime down the road. I cheer for my team win or lose. Go Hawks!

Bingo. Walking into CHA on Saturday night, a couple of guys were selling tickets. The only things I could think of were that anyone who needed tickets could just go inside and get one, and that it would be a lot more helpful to just go inside and support the team.

I think a good number of people disconnected from the program over the Pierre Pierce issues. And then save for one season, they haven't had a compelling reason to come back that outweighs their realizing they could live without going to games.

It's going to take winning, consistently, before people return consistently

Good article Rob does a good job, but I totally disagree we need to cut loose or extend his contract. I dont think an extension should even be a consideration. I'm not saying he needs to be cut loose but he still has 3 years on his contract and I dont think recruits need any more than that. They can see the state of affairs on the basketball team without us giving a extension.

The fact is Todd Lickliter has not given anyone a reason as to why he should still be at Iowa. This will be the worst three year run in the history of the program....it is time he be held responsible. Todd Lickliter should be fired immediately. The cumulative issues with the program are ridiculous and now out of control.

The fact is Todd Lickliter has not given anyone a reason as to why he should still be at Iowa. This will be the worst three year run in the history of the program....it is time he be held responsible. Todd Lickliter should be fired immediately. The cumulative issues with the program are ridiculous and now out of control.

I agree 100%. He's going to get fired at the end of the year anyway so why not do it now.

I agree 100%. He's going to get fired at the end of the year anyway so why not do it now.

Todd Lickliter is not going to be fired at the end of the year. He deserves the opporutunity to coach a team that returns the majority of players from the previous team.

Now, if there are transfers at the end of this year, all bets are off.

Keno Davis! Class, Character, Winner, Players love him, Fans love him. Bring him to Iowa City. This is the jumpstart we need! Would love to hear Jon's comments on this. Go Hawks!!

I find it hard to believe that he gets fired at the end of this season.

I wonder if Lickliter will shake up his coaching staff? I wonder if he will be looking for a top recruiter.

I find it hard to believe that he gets fired at the end of this season.

I wonder if Lickliter will shake up his coaching staff? I wonder if he will be looking for a top recruiter.

He should have done that 3 years ago. He built this staff and had every opportunity to succeed here. His inability to retain players has been a disaster.

I wonder if Gary Barta is wondering why he gave Lickliter a 7 year contract? As bad as things are now, there are still 4 years on Lickliter's contract to buy out. That would be expensive. That is the biggest reason that I think Lickliter will be back next year, regardless of what happens the rest of this season.

Now if it was a 5 year contract, Barta's hands wouldn't be tied like that.

How long are we going to keep hearing about the Pierre Pierce situation as part of the problem.. In Jan it will be 5 years? I'm sorry but I'm not buying that and quite frankly tired of people mentioning it.. That is one BIG excuse if you ask me...

Last edited:
Now, if there are transfers at the end of this year, all bets are off.

This is the scenario where it would become a REAL tough decision if I was AD. If everyone is back next year, I bring back Lickliter for one more year. Otherwise, I'd be losing lots of sleep trying to decide what to do. We're already losing Tucker, apparently, which basically has the effect of one transfer. If there are more, outside of Brommer, than next year is doomed as well, IMO.

Latest posts