Venting Theread - Random thoughts on the situation at hand

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Some random thoughts on the situation I gathered overnight, while listening to radio and reading articles...

I understand Barta is standing up for his man, as any A.D. would, but the piece was satire and humor is subjective. What is "over the line" for him, may not be "over the line" for some of us.

Let's get something straight, D1 athletes are ADULTS and PUBLIC FIGURES and are therefore subject to public criticism. While some of us don't find this video necessarily offensive, I did both laugh and cringe.

What most Hawkeye fans are the most upset about is the fact that our basketball program is so bad right now. Worst in 70 years (last time we had 3 straight losing seasons), so I imagine no one that posts on here has lived through that.

This video was done as a spoof to show how far Iowa basketball has fallen and Lil' Lick "Rudy" is forced to play 26 minutes in a game but without the happy ending (carried out of arena on teams' shoulders).

The basketball team's problem is NOT Jon Lickliter but he is a symptom and that is what the video was attempting to point out.

I would like Barta to issue an apology to Iowa fans for charging $25/ticket for the crap his coach has been putting on the court for 3 years!

Perhaps Barta should issue an apology from our 10 fellow conference affiliates as well because in case he hasn't noticed, the chants coming from opposing team's student sections are far more offending and insulting toward John than anything mentioned in the humor satire video. And it will continue as long as John is on the team and his father is the head coach.

Todd Lickliter has made a decision - he choose it - he is the one responsible for this. Why should WHO feel as if they need to apologize for Todd Lickliter's decisions?! Who is the one getting paid $1.6 million per year for this? Todd is a grown man and he knew, HE KNEW, before John ever saw the court that there would be an increased degree of scrutiny because it is his son. Not to mention a son that doesn't belong on a Big Ten basketball court talent wise.

There is added scrutiny this year because in the first two years of Lick's tenure, you think we could have used extra players at times? Lickliter was playing kids for 40 minutes a game and Lickliter would come out and say "well they get 6 timeouts a half." He's not saying that this year. He didn't have any walk-ons playing last year and didn't have any playing his first year of coaching either!

John Lickliter is NOT Jason Smith (Alford era walk-on). Smith wasn't a Big Ten player either but he made some contributions at 6'4" and at least looked like he marginally belonged. Iowa is getting laughed at by opposing players and fans - THEY ARE LAUGHING - when John makes an appearance, opposing fans CHEER when John comes in for crying out loud! The student sections cheer gleefully when John takes a shot just as high school gyms cheer when the last player on the bench comes in late in the game and hits a shot and everyone goes crazy because he isn't that great of a player! Not saying John is a bad person, he is a good kid and is playing hard when he is on the court based on the skill set he has. A skill set that is not of Big Ten basketball caliber. Todd Lickliter should have have never said that his son should have played more minutes earlier in the season - WRONG! Lickliter and his staff have done a ****-poor job of recruiting their needs.

I ask you this, if John isn't Todd's son and is a random kid who wants to walk-on at Iowa, does he make the team?

Barta was foolish by requesting a public apology from WHO-TV. He is now drawing more attention to the problem by doing so. If he wants an apology, he should have done so privately.

And the fact that Barta is comparing Lickliter's rebuilding phase to Ferentz is plain ludicrous! Building a football program takes more than building a basketball program. Ferentz had the football program back by his third year anyway! Lickliter's third year is going to be the WORST season in Iowa basketball history!!

"Barta used the Iowa football coaching staff as an example of the lightning rod industry college sports is. He said in 2006 and ‘07, he received tons of e-mail on Iowa’s coordinators Norm Parker (defense) and Ken O’Keefe (offense). All of it was negative, asking for them to be fired."

The criticism from '06 and '07 football is minuscule compared to the criticism regarding the current situation with the basketball program. Ferentz had proven prior success at Iowa in '02, '03, '04 and '05 and shown he was able to rebuild a program. Lickliter and his staff have no proven prior success AT Iowa and are in fact regressing from year-to-year so far.

I see no substance to Barta's claim except that he is completely clueless and doesn't want to admit his own mistake.

Last edited:
Didn't you post the exact same thing, word for word, in another thread?

Is it really so important you have to write it twice?

Didn't you post the exact same thing, word for word, in another thread?

Is it really so important you have to write it twice?

I deleted that post. This is similar but have changed some wording and added some more thoughts.

Last edited:
Do you take notes from the show while it's on or do you record it or podcast it so you can push the stop button and catch up? ;)

We need this B-ball season to end and we need football back on the front burner. This b-ball team is going to tear Hawk Nation apart.

coors-light-wide-mouth.jpg

TV tells me this is the only way to vent.

We need this B-ball season to end and we need football back on the front burner. This b-ball team is going to tear Hawk Nation apart.

Naw. Hawkeye Nation looks remarkably unified re: the basketball situation.

However, a full blown civil war would be pretty funny, if the Alford saga is any indication. As a trusted ambassador and one of the most respected citizens of Hawkeye Nation, I would like to come out and state, in public, my unambiguous opposition to the institution of slavery, althought I support the rights of the individual states within Hawkeye Nation.

Do you take notes from the show while it's on or do you record it or podcast it so you can push the stop button and catch up? ;)

I got to admit Jon, I used some of your show with Deace this morning but only because it was my feelings exactly. I just don't have my own show to express those feelings! I was yelling "yes, yes, exactly" while you guys were on air.

I am a very passionate Iowa fan and I'm just frustrated with the situation and I use SoundOFF, Twitter and Hawkeyenation.com regulary as a medium to help make light of the situation. It's just that I am in complete agreement with what you, Deace, Fales and Murphy have all stated recently and the only way for me to express that is here.

I knew this sounded really familiar. Or at least 90 percent of it ;)

So, Jon, since I live 1,200 miles away and generally don't catch the show, let me ask: do you and Deace think it's OK for a TV station to ridicule a 20-year-old student athlete on air?

So, Jon, since I live 1,200 miles away and generally don't catch the show, let me ask: do you and Deace think it's OK for a TV station to ridicule a 20-year-old student athlete on air?

I have already posted about this here.

I thought a part of it was funny, creatively. If it would have been focussed on an Iowa State player, I probably would have thought it was really funny. Being that it was an Iowa player I didn't enjoy it as much

Because while there were parts of it that were funny, it's also a symptom of the state if the program. It's not something I would go out to create or anyone that worked with me. I think taking on the guys getting paid is always the better way to go if you feel so inclined

I have already posted about this here.

I thought a part of it was funny, creatively. If it would have been focussed on an Iowa State player, I probably would have thought it was really funny. Being that it was an Iowa player I didn't enjoy it as much

Because while there were parts of it that were funny, it's also a symptom of the state if the program. It's not something I would go out to create or anyone that worked with me. I think taking on the guys getting paid is always the better way to go if you feel so inclined

Wait til your little ones are around 18, 19 or 20 and then get back to me whether you think this was funny.

Wait til your little ones are around 18, 19 or 20 and then get back to me whether you think this was funny.

Dude, you're not getting the point. They were expressing their thoughts on coach Lickliter's decisions of playing his son. As far as I'm concerned, questioning the man who get's paid $1.6 and his decisions are warranted.

You know they say "you've made it big" when you make it on SNL, well because of all this attention John Lickliter is now the most recognized member of the Iowa basketball team.

Personally, I would LOVE to be the subject of discussion on SoundOFF or Jon and Deace! If Hassel and WHO-TV wanted to do a spoof involving me, I would gladly be all for it! But I am an open-minded and laid-back individual which apparently is NOT the case with you.

Last edited:

I said I thought part of it was funny tweeter. I didnt say I'd produce it and put it on the front page of the site. There were parts that were humorous, but collectively a sad reminder of where things are right now.

Latest posts