Varner?

Hawks4life11

I am wondering if anyone else gets extremely bored by watching Jake Varner wrestle? I hate watching him ride because all he does is hook an ankle and pull the persons head back and forth.

I'd say both Varner and M* are both boring to watch with the exception that Varner is deadlock to win his matches.

He does what it takes to win. Never finished lower than 2nd place at NCAA's.

Yeah i know he is good but he is so boring. He just lays on people with an ankle hooked to get his riding time. And then after beating an unranked wrestler by 5 points he decides to gloat...no respect for him what-so-ever!

Yeah i know he is good but he is so boring. He just lays on people with an ankle hooked to get his riding time. And then after beating an unranked wrestler by 5 points he decides to gloat...no respect for him what-so-ever!

An unranked wrestler who is actually a 184 pound backup.

his antics make me not like this guy...poor judgement on his party when he will be competing at the next level

I have said this on another board.
No Hawk fan has any right to rip on Varner for Sunday's Match. A couple Iowa coaches were doing the "gator chomp" to the isu bench. I am sure that is why Jake did what he did.
I am also the first person to rip on Jake for his style. I just have a hard time when someone grabs the ankle and rides out. I will give him props to how he uses ankle trips and picks.
But in general guys you can not blame a wrestler for doing something stupid when he just watched it 2-3 matches ago from coaches. (still should be no excuse)
I like the excitement and think the sport needs some of that to keep the people that do not follow wrestling that close around. But if I was a parent and I am not (we are trying to have a little one) I would be very very ****** off if that was my child out there acting like that and I am talking about the coaches and wrestlers.

Brands doing the "Gator Chomp" to the ISU bench, really? I just thought that was him clapping. In fact, my wife and I were watching a meet on TV a couple weeks ago and I commented to her how Brands was clapping. Just thought that was how he clapped. Seemed a little odd to me but I can't believe it's done to showboat. Maybe I'm wrong but just thought that was how he clapped.

Personally I think the "gator chomp" thing is silly and not quite sure what it means anyway.

I think the best thing these wrestlers can do after a win is sprint off the mat. It's classy and cocky. I was the type that didn't talk to any opponents ever, just had to keep that "edge"

Brands doing the "Gator Chomp" to the ISU bench, really? I just thought that was him clapping. In fact, my wife and I were watching a meet on TV a couple weeks ago and I commented to her how Brands was clapping. Just thought that was how he clapped. Seemed a little odd to me but I can't believe it's done to showboat. Maybe I'm wrong but just thought that was how he clapped.

Personally I think the "gator chomp" thing is silly and not quite sure what it means anyway.

I guess what I mean with this is if you are clapping why are you walking 10 feet away from your bench and then "clapping" towards the cryclones bench. Trust me guys I am a Hawk fan and as far as I am concerned it is the only school in the state but lets not throw stones in a glass house.
I like the idea of shake hands winner gets hand raised and then run off hte mat. I don't like the idea of shaking the other coaches hand.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it. There is a different culture in wrestling. In what other sport do coaches take shots at each other in the media? Or yell at each other during or between matches? It is an intense, physical sport where opposing wrestlers and coaches are right on top of each other. Emotions are going to get out of hand. I think the fans take these things way more personally then anyone involved. After Varner's clapping they panned to Iowa's bench and Zadick was laughing. As far as Tom and Terry's clapping, I didn't see it directed at ISUs bench. I saw it directed toward McDonaugh and the mat. Even if it was directed toward ISU briefly, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

As far as Metcalf, I am sure he will keep his gestures behind closed doors from now on, but it is not like he did that in the center of the mat. I am sure he thought it was between him and Schwab and the cameras caught it. I am guessing far worse is done on the sideline of a football game. And personally, I've done things I'm not proud of and let me emotions get the best of me. Who am I to judge these people I don't even know?

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of it. There is a different culture in wrestling. In what other sport do coaches take shots at each other in the media? Or yell at each other during or between matches? It is an intense, physical sport where opposing wrestlers and coaches are right on top of each other. Emotions are going to get out of hand. I think the fans take these things way more personally then anyone involved. After Varner's clapping they panned to Iowa's bench and Zadick was laughing. As far as Tom and Terry's clapping, I didn't see it directed at ISUs bench. I saw it directed toward McDonaugh and the mat. Even if it was directed toward ISU briefly, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

As far as Metcalf, I am sure he will keep his gestures behind closed doors from now on, but it is not like he did that in the center of the mat. I am sure he thought it was between him and Schwab and the cameras caught it. I am guessing far worse is done on the sideline of a football game. And personally, I've done things I'm not proud of and let me emotions get the best of me. Who am I to judge these people I don't even know?

This is what I am saying in the first part.
It is not that big of deal and the gator chomp was after the 57-65 matches. I laugh and think it is funny. Heck even Gable made a comment about it and all the firepower that was in the room.
My point is just don't point fingers when it happens on both sides of the mat.
Like I have said before I like that fact that even the coaches get worked up and rowdy. It made a lot of people where I work talk about wrestling that would not have last week.

I guess the way i look at it is that, no matter what sport, you do the talking on the mat/field/court or whatever it is you are doing. If you are the best you dont need to say anything off the mat. Going out and beating everyone should be enough. I think gloating is just something that people do when they dont think they showed enough on the mat. Varner didnt make much of a statement with just beating our backup by a regular decision so he had to make a statement after the fact. Same with metcalf. The only statement we need to make is beat their a**es on the mat, run off, take home the trophy.

Personally, I would like to see the gestures stop on both sides. I understand that it's a rivalry, but I think we could have a rivalry without the gestures that Varner, Metcalf, and the coaches have been doing. Also, this isn't the 1st time that Varner has acted like a punk for an Iowa meet. I've seen him do it for years. He also has a nice stare down for our coaches, etc.

As far as I'm concerned Iowa wrestling already has a target on it for winning Nat'l titles. We don't need to add to the other team's motivation any.

Latest posts