VanLaere: Once Again Hawkeyes Can’t Close, Lose to the Gophers

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
gesell-1024x682.jpg

Once Again Hawkeyes Can’t Close, Lose to the Gophers | Big Ten

Last edited:
It comes down to recruiting. We don't have anybody capable of getting their own shot. Marble is at best below average and Gesell gives effort, but his shot is very easy to block. Fran did not get the guy he needed, period. Clemmons is a nice player, but he is not now, or will ever, be an offensive threat. You can spin this how you like, but if we had someone capable of taking their guy off the bounce, we could at least get shots at critical junctures of games.

It comes down to recruiting. We don't have anybody capable of getting their own shot. Marble is at best below average and Gesell gives effort, but his shot is very easy to block. Fran did not get the guy he needed, period. Clemmons is a nice player, but he is not now, or will ever, be an offensive threat. You can spin this how you like, but if we had someone capable of taking their guy off the bounce, we could at least get shots at critical junctures of games.

You will eventually eat these words. Anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge can see the ability is there. Fran has the talent what he does not have is for the ability to close these games. Normally you turn to veteran players to close out games, May and evidently Marble are not it. This is NOT because of Frans recruiting, actually it is a hold over of the lack of recruiting by the previous coach. It is because of Frans recruiting that Iowa had any shot at winning that game.

You will eventually eat these words. Anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge can see the ability is there. Fran has the talent what he does not have is for the ability to close these games. Normally you turn to veteran players to close out games, May and evidently Marble are not it. This is NOT because of Frans recruiting, actually it is a hold over of the lack of recruiting by the previous coach. It is because of Frans recruiting that Iowa had any shot at winning that game.

You can calm down. We've all been through this before, ted doesn't know how recruiting works. You can disregard anything he says about recruiting. You're right, all the pieces are definitely there, and they will get better as they get more experience.

Why? The Michigan game is the only one they had no shot at.

Did we even lead in the second half of the Indiana game? We never got closer than 4 points against OSU. We led for what, less than 2 minutes at Purdue. Thinking that just because we were close at some point in the second half means we should have won is binge drinking some black and gold kool aid.

Did we even lead in the second half of the Indiana game? We never got closer than 4 points against OSU. We led for what, less than 2 minutes at Purdue. Thinking that just because we were close at some point in the second half means we should have won is binge drinking some black and gold kool aid.

The only games Iowa was statistically out of were the OSU and Indiana game with 1 minute left.
All the other games Iowa had the statistical advantage of being ahead of the other club with 90 seconds or less in the game All the other games COULD have gone the other way. I think anyone watching those games could see that. Iowa blew it down the stretch vs MSU, PU, and MINN. Versus OSU and Indiana, they missed a ton of opportunities.
They were in-reach of the other two games they didn't have the statistical advantage - if White makes the FT, Iowa is down just 3 pts with about 90 seconds to go. Iowa was down 4 pt vs Indiana with a few minutes, but missed FTs killed them in that game too. If Iowa makes their FTs (they are actually a good FT shooting team), they have a great shot to win them.

This is how I came to say could be 7-2 or 8-1.
Again, COULD be, not SHOULD be.

Iowa SHOULD be 6-3 right now in conf.

Agree, because if you use that Iowa could be 7-2 in conference then a lot of teams in conference could say this. Lot's of teams have played close games that they have lost. It is nice to be in the game but generally your record is going to show what type of team you were baring some major injury to a key player.

The only games Iowa was statistically out of were the OSU and Indiana game with 1 minute left.
All the other games Iowa had the statistical advantage of being ahead of the other club with 90 seconds or less in the game All the other games COULD have gone the other way. I think anyone watching those games could see that. Iowa blew it down the stretch vs MSU, PU, and MINN. Versus OSU and Indiana, they missed a ton of opportunities.
They were in-reach of the other two games they didn't have the statistical advantage - if White makes the FT, Iowa is down just 3 pts with about 90 seconds to go. Iowa was down 4 pt vs Indiana with a few minutes, but missed FTs killed them in that game too. If Iowa makes their FTs (they are actually a good FT shooting team), they have a great shot to win them.

I am just happy to see Iowa in games. It's the step in the right direction. This quite frankly how 19-20 win teams look. I thought Iowa would win 19-20 regular season games this year. I think there are really more positives than negatives about the season really.

Purdue was the one who blew, at least in regulation, the lead in that game. I'm sure having an 11 point lead with 7 minutes left gives you a pretty good win probability. If the other team leads for about 38 mins of the game, and we finally get a lead late, that doesn't necessarily mean we should have won that game. Again, just because we had a chance doesn't mean we should have won.

The Minnesota and MSU game are the only two games I think we should have won and let get away.

Purdue was the one who blew, at least in regulation, the lead in that game. I'm sure having an 11 point lead with 7 minutes left gives you a pretty good win probability. If the other team leads for about 38 mins of the game, and we finally get a lead late, that doesn't necessarily mean we should have won that game. Again, just because we had a chance doesn't mean we should have won.

The Minnesota and MSU game are the only two games I think we should have won and let get away.

I subscribe to the idea that if you put yourself in position to win the game, you should win it. Iowa has had a couple games where they gave themselves a good chance to get in that position (OSU and Indy). Against MSU, Purdue, and Minnesota, they were in position to win the game with very little time left. You should win when you're in that position, regardless of how the game as a whole went.

Again, I'm saying could have won, not should have won.
Iowa could be 7-2 or 8-1 if they could learn how to finish games.

Spank, maybe I missed it but did fran ever say why he didn't call a timeout when gesell brought the ball over halfcourt at the end of the game? To me it is a no brainer at least you can set up a play to hopefully get yourself a shot instead of just letting a guy go 1 on 1 since that hasn't worked all yr for us.

Spank, maybe I missed it but did fran ever say why he didn't call a timeout when gesell brought the ball over halfcourt at the end of the game? To me it is a no brainer at least you can set up a play to hopefully get yourself a shot instead of just letting a guy go 1 on 1 since that hasn't worked all yr for us.

They called a timeout right after Hollins hit the 3 and drew something up. Fran said in the postgame that Gesell had several options on that play. The one he chose just didn't work.

If you're referring to after Hollins hit FT's to push the lead to 3, Fran also called a TO between the free throws. If there was anything he wanted to draw up, I'd guess he'd have done it then, as both TO's I'm referring to were fulls.

Last edited:

^^you have that right. If this team had even a semblance of a senior who could control the game int the last five minutes we would be in great shape.

Not dissing on May who I think is playing well. May is getting rebounds, driving for hoops and fouls, hitting the occasional jumper and he usually plays solid dee.

But May is not a great pt guard type ball handler so he is not going to control a game.

All you have to imagine is Bryce Cartwright on this team.

What Tork said
^^^^^^^^^^^^

After the three - Gesell had a couple options, but lost the ball.
After the made FTs -there wasn't enough time to get it over halfcourt and get the TO, they took it before the make and had the play draw for Mike to get off a three at the buzzer and it almost went in.

Spank, didn't the games against UofM and MSU start 7-0?

Recruiting is not Iowa's issue, the problem with the roster is that it is atill getting an INC on the report card. Iowa has aome good young players that have to develop. Youth is not why Iowa is losing, it is the inability to have anyone be relied on to hit a big shot when it matters the most.

If you've watched sports you should know this happens a lot. A good team is down to a team they should beat until they end when they make plays and win. There is a lot of people drinking some hawkeye koolaid right now. We are 2-6 against top 50 RPI teams and our best win was two months ago at home in a rivalry game. We may be a good team in the future but we are not right now.

Latest posts