Vandy walk-on receives scholarship in front of team

herkyattack

Really cool moment out of Vanderbilt.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOJu5P7hBbo&feature=player_embedded]Vanderbilt Walk-On Marc Panu Awarded Scholarship - YouTube[/ame]

Always had sort of a soft spot for Vanderbilt. That's one school I'd enjoy seeing have some success, because they're one of the few doing things right in the SEC (there's no other way to consistently suck in the SEC). And you know the kid is getting a serious education; Vandy is a good school, and you don't walk on there to take football majors.

High-class move.

Okay, I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but how is this different than all the Iowa walk-ons that have busted their butts and earned a scholarship? Because they posted it on the Internet?

Also, is there anything less than a "full" scholarship in football?

Okay, I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but how is this different than all the Iowa walk-ons that have busted their butts and earned a scholarship? Because they posted it on the Internet?

Sorry to see that you're missing the point.

I agree. It was a great moment for that kid that, but what it really makes me think about is how often Iowa has done tha same thing dozens of times.

It is like tha ISU Rhoads Im so pwoud video. Neat moment and all, but really probably not different than any locker room after a big win.

ihateeverythi128426629782255000.jpg

I agree. It was a great moment for that kid that, but what it really makes me think about is how often Iowa has done tha same thing dozens of times.

It is like tha ISU Rhoads Im so pwoud video. Neat moment and all, but really probably not different than any locker room after a big win.

Well, it was great to see. Obviously if there was a video of showing this happening at Iowa it would be better...but it's great to see somebody being rewarded for working hard. It's great for a college football fan to watch.

Well, it was great to see. Obviously if there was a video of showing this happening at Iowa it would be better...but it's great to see somebody being rewarded for working hard. It's great for a college football fan to watch.

Don't get me wrong I fell great for that kid......it also made me feel good that Iowa has a great track record of doing the same.

My response was to the comments that somehow seemed to identify this as a particularly classy move by Vandy. It is always good to hear when walk-ons earn schollies, but also not that uncommon and VERY common at Iowa. The Hawks just don't post these moments on the Internet and I, for one, am glad they don't.

So maybe a lazy Iowa SID's office needs to start taping and posting this stuff. :eek:

So maybe a lazy Iowa SID's office needs to start taping and posting this stuff. :eek:

No not at all. I'm with CAAR on this one. Don't tape it and pimp it like this makes you an awesome program. Instead point out to perspective walk on athletes that you do this routinely, and quietly. I think it is actually a big reason we do get quality walk ons into the program.

I have been living in Nashville for the last 7 years since graduating from Iowa and have become a Vandy fan (#2 behind my Hawks of course) since my in-laws are all Commodores. Gotta root for the black and gold, but I digress. Imagine Iowa in the late 70's...a hapless door mat of a team that has been steamrolled year after year for the last few decades, but for Vandy it has been even worse for a much longer time. The new coach they have there is instilling the same mentality that Fry envoked at Iowa when he came to coach Iowa in 79. He has brought a winning attitude and is changing the image of what Vandy football has been (new uniforms, field, expanding the seating at the stadium, and bringing some wins). Furthermore, they are not too far off from turning the corner. IMO, they will be raising some eyebrows this year. I think it is great that they posted this. It's a great story and just shows the comradery with the team and a step in the right direction. Go Hawks, Go Dores!

Latest posts