Van Ness declared

Definitely still love the DL coming back and coming in, but just wish Ven Ness were used more for the time he was there.

we hardly new ye.

we knew he was good but they rotaed linemen so often, he didn't create the legacy that he could have. Not as many big plays as he could have. strange really.

Happened with the old John Wooden UCLA teams all the time. There were guys who couldn't make that starting lineup who had no trouble playing in the NBA.

It's one of the reasons why I think the best Wooden teams were the aberration to the question "Can the NCAA champion beat the worst NFL (or NBA) team.

Wooden's Lew Alcindor teams alone would have won 30-35 games playing an NBA schedule. Alcindor was one of the ten best players in the world while still at UCLA.

Drake took them down to the wire in the Final Four

Bulldogs could have won it on the last-second shot attempt by Dolph Pullium
Of course, we all thought he was fouled

Went to every Drake home game at Vets that year

Hawks lost a heartbreaker to Artis Gilmore's Jacksonville team the following year in the Sweet Sixteen
Artis was playing with 5 fouls late in the second half

Deontae Craig played well at the end of the year and is coming back. Joe Evans is back. Wonder if they will slide Aaron Graves inside? The D-line and secondary are still in pretty good shape despite the loses.
I would bet my house Graves starts or at least plays a majority of the snaps next year. He's a beast of a human being and he's most likely gone as a soph after next season like Van Ness, and Hockenson before that.

I would bet my house Graves starts or at least plays a majority of the snaps next year. He's a beast of a human being and he's most likely gone as a soph after next season like Van Ness, and Hockenson before that.
The player from (Dayvion Nixon's school) Iowa Western looks intriguing as well. He could plug up a lot of space in the middle of the line.

I am shocked you would remember him, just didn't think you would have been old enough. But yes, certainly a blast from the past!
I'm a weirdo. Yeah I'm 42 back when I was in my teens I used to read a lot. I read books on the NY Yankees and their dynasty from the 50s with Joe Dimaggio through early 70s. I've read a couple books about UCLA and theirs from back then going back to when Lew Alcindor was there and remember seeing his name brought up. He was from the Netherlands if I remember right. But yeah that's a name I should not remember by any means. But I have a weird brain what can I say

Barry Sanders coulda almost did that... He was behind Thurman Thomas a couple yrs I think and didn't start. Yet he was obviously good enough. He was a stud kick returner and did play some his sophomore yr. If the NFL let players leave after 2 yrs to go pro we woulda missed out on the best season a college RB had ever had.

And to think, the Green Bay Packers picked Tony Mandarich, left tackle, Michigan State, ahead of Barry in the draft. That was a loaded draft. I think Chuck Hartlieb went in the 12th round that year. If you have quality guys like Hartlieb still on the board in the 12th round you know there was talent all over the place.

I don't think Graves will be draft eligible next year, will he?

With an AA degree in high school, he is also on track to graduate by the end of his sophomore year.

I'm a weirdo. Yeah I'm 42 back when I was in my teens I used to read a lot. I read books on the NY Yankees and their dynasty from the 50s with Joe Dimaggio through early 70s. I've read a couple books about UCLA and theirs from back then going back to when Lew Alcindor was there and remember seeing his name brought up. He was from the Netherlands if I remember right. But yeah that's a name I should not remember by any means. But I have a weird brain what can I say

Lou Alcindor was named Kareem Abdul Jabbar when he played for the Lakers

:cool:

He and Oscar Robertson won an NBA Championship in his second year in the pros

He changed his name the Summer after winning the Championship
Found a site that Lew Alcindor developed to explain his conversion to Islam.

Have there been other first rounders that never started a collegiate game?

I know there are guys who never played college ball, but I'm talking NFL first round draft picks who played in college, but were never starters.

Have there been other first rounders that never started a collegiate game?

I know there are guys who never played college ball, but I'm talking NFL first round draft picks who played in college, but were never starters.
Good question. Not sure why I remember this but Antonio Gates didn't play football at all in college just hoops. But he was also undrafted. Still nuts though. Usually only punters or kickers can pull off something like that.

Matt Cassel was a career backup at USC. Never started a game. Was drafted in 7th round I think. I can't think of anyone that was in 1st round though

Last edited:

Latest posts