UW Board of Regents meeting tonight

SwirlinLingerie

I'm out here in the Pac-NW and Washington's Board of Regents just scheduled an emergency meeting for 9 pm tonight. Seems like it is happening. Or at least they are meeting to make a decision.

Apple was offering like $20M per school. It's over. That was the conference's last hope.

I hate how this great conference with great traditions is dissolving just because they didn't have the right commissioner to secure the right TV deal for football.

Is this 9 pm pacific time? Seems late, I'd guess that's about the average BoR board member's bed time. Interested to see where the Pac-12 teams end up, with the funding of a major conference they all have the potential to be solid programs.

I like BIG adding Washington & Oregon to get to 18. The BIG would basically own everything outside of the bible belt.

They should make one last take it or leave it offer to Notre Dame to see if they want one of the last two spots before moving ultimately to 20 members. If ND says No, then look to Stanford and/or you wait to see if the ACC blows up, then try to get 2 of those teams (UNC, Duke, Virginia).

I like BIG adding Washington & Oregon to get to 18. The BIG would basically own everything outside of the bible belt.

They should make one last take it or leave it offer to Notre Dame to see if they want one of the last two spots before moving ultimately to 20 members. If ND says No, then look to Stanford and/or you wait to see if the ACC blows up, then try to get 2 of those teams (UNC, Duke, Virginia).

I would think ND would have to make a move to a conference at some point or they are going to have a scheduling issue for quality games. I wonder if the recent TV deal with the BIG 10 playing games on NBC might bridge that or if NBC would leverage ND to join.

As I have stated in other posts, I could care less if they are in at this point.

I'm intrigued by Florida State as they would prob bring the most to the BIG. Just seems like would be an odd fit, though and the SEC would prob have the upper had there, especially with Florida being in the conference.

What is their meeting about? They don't have an invite (yet) from the Big Ten, at least that's been announced. And those things tend to leak out before they're official.

I would think ND would have to make a move to a conference at some point or they are going to have a scheduling issue for quality games. I wonder if the recent TV deal with the BIG 10 playing games on NBC might bridge that or if NBC would leverage ND to join.
I had this same thought. I wouldn't be shocked if NBC has the money (and the desire) to leverage the B1G into the sort of deal ND has with the ACC now if ND insists on staying independent, but I don't know why they would prefer that over full B1G membership and a chance to play for conference championships, but then if I were a decisionmaker, ND would already be in the B1G.

I had this same thought. I wouldn't be shocked if NBC has the money (and the desire) to leverage the B1G into the sort of deal ND has with the ACC now if ND insists on staying independent, but I don't know why they would prefer that over full B1G membership and a chance to play for conference championships, but then if I were a decisionmaker, ND would already be in the B1G.

Yes, but I don't think it's the BIG decision makers. I'm sure ND has been invited but they are so proud and secure with their situation, they have declined. Now it's to the point where I would think they'd be a bit nervous about being able to schedule top notch games after all the alignment is complete. I'd be concerned I would be able to schedule games to be worthy of a playoff invite. This is going to substantially get more difficult as teams will play more conference games.

ND might not need a conference support to sustain themselves, but they will need a conference alignment to be able to have a formidable schedule of games to play.

I think ND is at a point they will have to commit.

Now ESPN is saying it's happening Oregon and Washington are coming to BIG. The inevitable wasn't delayed that much longer after all

(but I just read @Hawkfnntn note above)

AS OF LAST NIGHT

It appears that cooler heads are going to prevail. They're gong to sit tight.

B1G people don't feel urgency to act and honestly don't want to. B1G Presidents if forced would be interested in CAL and Stanford as well as UO and UW. Networks only want the latter.

PAC folx really don't want to tear the league appart.

UW and UO realize that this may not be the best time to join the B1G for several reasons. That option need not be forced. They might get better terms in a few years from now.

USC went to B1G with a bit of an unspoken or maybe spoken expectation that other Pac teams would not follow.

------------

If the B1G goes to 18 or 20 then they might find a way to Bring ESPN in to the media master contract. They'd need that to avoid dillution.

Latest posts