Uthoff and Jok what kind of players are they... strengths?

Than you are a fool.

Licklieter was a horrible recruiter. Phil Jackson couldn't have produced a winning season with the players licklieter was bringing in.

Lick had a ridiculous strategy to win in the big ten. Who give a rats @$$ if it worked in a lower tier mid major conference. Apples to Oranges.

The players he did get did not like him, so we had 2 or 3 players leaving every year.

Fran is superior in every possible way.

This is a pretty common and ill informed take. There was nothing wrong with Licks strategy/system. Wisky has been running a similar system for decades and has had a lot of sucess with it. His system would have worked just fine in the B10 or any other conference for that matter. Licks issue was he couldn't recruit and retain enough high quality players to Iowa to run his (or any other system). The problem was not x's and o's.

White is an above the rim, court running, energy guy. That isn't uthoff. Uthoff is a catch and shoot pull up midrange jumper scorer. He doesn't play above the rim or really down low. He handles better than white and shoots better than white. He is long and tall but not as strong or physical as white. He is very good making things happen with the ball in his hands and is a very good passer. His game is more of a in between version of white and marble with more of a lean to marble. He is a better fit for the 3 spot offensively and defensively than white is. He could play the 4 against smaller teams (kind of like white has played the 5 against small teams this year).

Good summary, thanks. It appeared that people are assuming they're the same player because they're both tall, skinny white kids.

The only downside to having Uthoff transfer back to Iowa was that he brought dirtbags like activebugger with him. You do understand that your jaundiced opinion of Jarrod isn't going to change his skillset? The bottom line, no matter how much you try to deny it, is that you badger fans were ecstatic to have Uthoff until he left. Then suddenly his skills diminished and he was a marginal player. This is the truth.

If fran wants a 4 that handles and plays like uthoff than we don't have a 4 on this roster that could beat him out. White is a 4 uthoff is a wing. Because of his height he played downlow a in hs where height on bigs means more. He got rebounds because of his height. He isn't a 4 by any stretch of the imagination. Unless something happens (like a recruit coming in) I expect uthoff to start at the 3 spot his jr year after backing marble up next year.

If anyone has seen either Jok or Uthoff play you would know what kind of talent they are. Uthoff is a more athletic, better shooting more talented version of White. You would be nuts to deny it. I love A W but he doesn't have as good a skill set. Anyone who doesn't think these two will play a lot next year is nuts.

If anyone has seen either Jok or Uthoff play you would know what kind of talent they are. Uthoff is a more athletic, better shooting more talented version of White. You would be nuts to deny it. I love A W but he doesn't have as good a skill set. Anyone who doesn't think these two will play a lot next year is nuts.

White is a 4, Uthoff is a 3. Most 4's aren't as skilled as 3's but I don't think that Uthoff will be as good a player as white. I think they'll be a helluva tandem on the floor together, though. They compliment each other very well.

Agreed. They will compliment each other very well. I like White, but Uthoff can do more things.

Agreed. They will compliment each other very well. I like White, but Uthoff can do more things.

I think Uthoff will play primarily small forward with some power forward. White seems more suited for the power forward spot. Uthoff seems to be a better shooter, while White is pretty crafty around the basket.

why do so many constantly switch players out of the spot that Fran sayes they will play,
Marble is 2/sg
Uthoff and White are 3's/ SF both can play the 4 if needed, both also provide matchup problems
Ingram is 6'2 and is better suited at the 2 or 1 if he is needed as another defensive stopper or ball handler.
Jok is a 2 SG/3 SF who can play the 4/ pf if needed.boy its great to know we have expert coaches ready to take over for Fran if he gets fired for not knowing "HOW" to use "HIS" players

why do so many constantly switch players out of the spot that Fran sayes they will play,
Marble is 2/sg
Uthoff and White are 3's/ SF both can play the 4 if needed, both also provide matchup problems
Ingram is 6'2 and is better suited at the 2 or 1 if he is needed as another defensive stopper or ball handler.
Jok is a 2 SG/3 SF who can play the 4/ pf if needed.boy its great to know we have expert coaches ready to take over for Fran if he gets fired for not knowing "HOW" to use "HIS" players

So you are saying Marble is a 2? That must mean that either Clemmons or Gesell started at the 3 for the Hawks this past Saturday. You are an idiot herby. That is the one constant on this board.

Uthoff is a 3 that can play the 2 or 4...depending on match ups.

White is a 4 that can play the 3 or 5...again depending on match ups.

White was put at the 3 this yr as a starter but has logged more minutes as a 4. He was put there because fran was trying to get his 5 best players on the court at the same time. That strategy didn't work as it left the team with only 2 ball handlers. White is a great ballhandler as a 4 but a below average ballhandler for a 3. I think fran would admit that at least right now white is not a 3 unless they are playing a team that is big and slow. He isn't a match up problem for the other team at the 3 because they are exploiting him defensively at the wing. And any advantage he might give iowa offensively at the 3 hasn't panned out because of his ballhandling.

There is a reason people compared uthoff to gordon heyward...it is because they are similar style players...and I don't think anyone claims heyward is a 4. And white isn't like gordon heyward. And I don't expect uthoff to be as good as heyward but their games are similar.

This is a pretty common and ill informed take. There was nothing wrong with Licks strategy/system. Wisky has been running a similar system for decades and has had a lot of sucess with it. His system would have worked just fine in the B10 or any other conference for that matter. Licks issue was he couldn't recruit and retain enough high quality players to Iowa to run his (or any other system). The problem was not x's and o's.

You seem to be confused by the difference between system and strategy.

A strategy encompasses everything he did. Recruiting small poor shooting mid major and d2 players to play in the big ten, surrounding himself with inexperienced assistants and making no attempt to relate to his players on a personal level.

Pointing out that any system will work with the proper talent is obvious and irrelevant.

so when Fran use Gesell, Marble, White, Basabe and woodbury, that means he has 1 guard and 3 forwards on the court, if and when Marble goes pro he will be a SG.
Thinking that every 6'6 -6-9 players can be nothing but PF is way off.
Pippen at 6'9 was a SF for Chicago
Magic at 6'9 was a pg
height mean nothing it is the ability of players playing a particular spot.
this the point of Fran's recruiting, these players can play multiple positions, so stop with the pigeon hole thinking.
Clemmons is a pg that can play the 2 if need be. but has taken over as the starting PG.
Gesell can play the 1 or 2 but is now playing the 2 as Clemmons is stepping in as the starting pg
Marble can play the PG, SG and SF, his future is at the 2, and is adjusting to his new role as a go to player in the scoring role
Oglesby can play the 1,2 and 3 but will play the 2
Ingram can play the 1,2 and 3 but will play the 2
May can play the 2 and 3, but plays mainly at the 3
White can play the 3, 4 and 5, switching off between the 3 and 4
McCabe, plays the 3,4 and 5 but is better suited at the 3/4
Olaseni is a 4/5
Woodbury is a 5
Uthoff can play the 3 and 4 but is better suited at the 3
Jok is a 2/3 and 4 but will be like Marble
this is what Fran is recruiting , not a bunch of players that play just one position

so when Fran use Gesell, Marble, White, Basabe and woodbury, that means he has 1 guard and 3 forwards on the court, if and when Marble goes pro he will be a SG.
Magic at 6'9 was a pg
this the point of Fran's recruiting, these players can play multiple positions, so stop with the pigeon hole thinking.
Clemmons is a pg that can play the 23 if need be. but has taken over as the starting PG.
Gesell can play the 1 or 2 but is now playing the 2 as Clemmons is stepping in as the starting pg
Marble can play the PG, SG and SF, his future is at the 2, and is adjusting to his new role as a go to player in the scoring role
May can play the 2 and 3, but plays manly at the 3
McCabe, played the 3,4 and 5 but is better suited at the 3/4
Olaseni is a 4/5
Woodbury is a 5
this is what fran is recruiting , not a bunch of players that play just one position

Except that Pippen was 6'7.

Magic at 6'9 was a pg
Clemmons is a pg that can play the 2 if need be. but has taken over as the starting PG.
May can play the 2 and 3, but plays mainly at the 3
McCabe, plays the 3,4 and 5 but is better suited at the 3/4
Olaseni is a 4/5
Woodbury is a 5
this is what Fran is recruiting , not a bunch of players that play just one position

This is rich coming from the guy who does nothing but regurgitate the height and weight of players in a feeble attempt to try to prove true all the garbage you spew on here. Will you just GTFO once and for all? You do nothing but pollute this board and pizz people off with your incessant drivel. By the amount of time you spend on here, it's obvious that you pizz enough people off in your day to day interactions that no one wants to be around you. There's way too much of the season left to have to deal with your tired f'n routine again this year.

Herby is at it again...here he is saying we pigeonhold players into positions. And he has said that we don't listen to the coach and say that fran doesn't know "his" players because of what we say.

Well I believe fran has said that they have 3 guys on the roster that can play the point. So by my take we have 2 that have started at pg this yr...clemmons and gesell. Then we have 1 that started at pg last yr...marble. By my count that is 3. So how does ingram factor in or is marble no longer able to play pg according to fran. Herby thinks we have 4 possible pgs but fran says 3. Fran must not know "his" players.

Herby you don't know skill sets or the evolution of basketball. The small forward or 3 is not a true forward anymore it used to be a guy that played inside the arc. It has evolved into a wing or guard. Most teams really break down this way anymore pg, wings (2 &3) and posts (4 & 5) with the 4 being more high post anymore. The positions have evolved but we still stick with the same names for the spots eventhough they aren't the same as they used to be.

Roster next yr:

Gesell - 1 or 2
Clemmons - 1 or 2
Ingram - 2 or 3
Ogelsby - 2 or 3
Jok - 2 or 3 (herby you have to be a complete idiot to watch this guy and think he can play the 4 ever)
Marble - 1, 2, or 3
Uthoff - 2, 3, or 4 (4 only against weak and/or small teams)
White - 3, 4 or 5 (3 only against teams that aren't very quick or are very tall)
Basabe - 4 or 5
Mccabe - 4 or 5 (he has played some 3 but white is a defensive liability at 3 so that is even worse for mccabe)
Meyer - 4 or 5
Woodbury - 5
Olaseni - 4 or 5

Herby is at it again...here he is saying we pigeonhold players into positions. And he has said that we don't listen to the coach and say that fran doesn't know "his" players because of what we say.

Well I believe fran has said that they have 3 guys on the roster that can play the point. So by my take we have 2 that have started at pg this yr...clemmons and gesell. Then we have 1 that started at pg last yr...marble. By my count that is 3. So how does ingram factor in or is marble no longer able to play pg according to fran. Herby thinks we have 4 possible pgs but fran says 3. Fran must not know "his" players.

Herby you don't know skill sets or the evolution of basketball. The small forward or 3 is not a true forward anymore it used to be a guy that played inside the arc. It has evolved into a wing or guard. Most teams really break down this way anymore pg, wings (2 &3) and posts (4 & 5) with the 4 being more high post anymore. The positions have evolved but we still stick with the same names for the spots eventhough they aren't the same as they used to be.

Roster next yr:

Gesell - 1 or 2
Clemmons - 1 or 2
Ingram - 2 or 3
Ogelsby - 2 or 3
Jok - 2 or 3 (herby you have to be a complete idiot to watch this guy and think he can play the 4 ever)
Marble - 1, 2, or 3
Uthoff - 2, 3, or 4 (4 only against weak and/or small teams)
White - 3, 4 or 5 (3 only against teams that aren't very quick or are very tall)
Basabe - 4 or 5
Mccabe - 4 or 5 (he has played some 3 but white is a defensive liability at 3 so that is even worse for mccabe)
Meyer - 4 or 5
Woodbury - 5
Olaseni - 4 or 5

Fiefel - Uthoff isn't playing the 2 spot next year or ever, that's some Herby **** right there.

Jok is 6'6 and his HS coach Horner and the ranking expert says he can play the 4, but you know more than they do.
Uthoff is 6'8 and to say he "CAN'T" play the 4 is foolish, if McCabe and Basabe at 6'7 can play the 4, how can't Uhtoff play the 4.
my point with Ingram he is a defensive minded player, if his defense is needed nor there is a injury or Foul trouble with Clemmons oe Gesell he can play the point, will he, I personnally don't think so
for matchup reason with Ingram at 6'2 he will see more time at the 2 and will see time going up against small lineups when the other team wing is 6'4 to 6'6, to keep the matchups.
last seasson Iowa got beat because some teams had taller 3's, 4's and 5's. this year and in the future this will not happen.
it appears it is my posts are what disturbs because they are to the point and are not bound by negativety. like most are

Latest posts