Urban Meyer breaking down iowa scheme

It's easy to see why Urban Meyer was so damn successful. Not only did he get the talent but he knew how to coach them.

Iowa got burned on the last TD in a similar fashion. Vertical release by #2, Johnson was out of position and blew the coverage on the post route and ISU got a 71 yard TD out of it.

Interestingly, we have always motioned our TE's, but a dont recall a ton of that "return" motion (where a WR starts inside, the goes back out) in our offense from our wide receivers. We have done a fair amount of WRs crossing the formation, but the coverage can still be disguised that way depending on the formation used by the offense.

I find urban Meyer to be excellent on TV which you would not expect based on previous press conference. I don’t watch lots The the big noon show, but when I do, I come away impressed.

"Nate is an excellent pro qb prospect". Can that be put to rest now? Urban didn't have to say that. But he sees it too.
Some Badger fan still owes me $100 from last year on our bets of qb's.
Yeah Nate needs to continue to work on the wide open longer passes, but it wasn't like we had the guys to throw to for a long time after the GD experiment. Plus what makes a great pro qb? The ability to pick a defense apart. Long drives are worth a fortune.

For all the proles who think they can just hop in the OC seat and call a better game than Brian Ferentz.

Now maybe people will understand why you can;'t just put in a QB who is fast or just because is a dual threat. That is just a small piece of the pie that they have to understand. Explains why it takes a couple years for some QB's to break thru a system.

I'm sure Urban and good offensive coaches (prob most in NCAA) don't think Iowa is boring when watching. They are looking and watching for the intricacies in the game.

"Nate is an excellent pro qb prospect". Can that be put to rest now? Urban didn't have to say that. But he sees it too.
Some Badger fan still owes me $100 from last year on our bets of qb's.
Yeah Nate needs to continue to work on the wide open longer passes, but it wasn't like we had the guys to throw to for a long time after the GD experiment. Plus what makes a great pro qb? The ability to pick a defense apart. Long drives are worth a fortune.

Even impressive this year are his runs and the decision when he runs. Obviously he sees where the defense will have a void in space and he exploits it when he can. Yes, some are most likely called plays but he's making them with his legs when he has to and he's not taking hits. Just another dimension the D has to try to prepare for.

He is completely understanding it all this year.

Urban Meyer: "Nate is an excellent pro prospect". Todd McShay lists him as the 26th best player in next years draft ...

meanwhile over at the fan sites.

....... Oldmanhawk924687: "I'm not sure he'll play at the next level"
..........Iowaas$faceisalwayswhite "he can't win the big games, look at those over throws"
..........Flyowa "I'm not convinced Nate Stanley will ever be good"
...........TimDwightsDadcantrun69 "Nate Stanley folks, ya get what you're gonna get"

we all get trolled.

Nate's one of the best QB's in the nation this year. Enjoy him.

Urban has a lot of respect for TheCaptain and the Hawkeyes

And he seems to have put a damper on the Stanley criticism

And he has earned my respect

I am glad he is not on the sidelines anymore suffering those killer headaches

Much more relaxed now and one of, if not the best analysts around

Good stuff. Very interesting. I hope we are seeing the evolution of a boring 1950s style offense to an effective, efficient, fun 2020s offense.

As for Stanley, i think the accuracy issues he has on long throws will limit his to certain teams. I think he can be a really good game manager in the pros. And several of those have won Super Bowls.

Makes you want to be a qb doesnt it? Can you imagine the excitement you get (and pressure) the moment the motion shows you that you have the perfect play called? I'd probably Michael Vick it out of the stadium on some of the throws! I saw a qb prove some growth in the ISU game. You could see the decision making, confidence. His runs and what he didnt do....are as important at times as hitting a pass or two here and there. He looks much better this year and we won because he managed a good game and made some plays that were gutsy and intelligent, to put us in position to win that game.

As much as I didn't really like him I did enjoy that segment and some of his other segments where he has talked about coaching in general and the game. He was on the first episode of the 150 years of football documentary that ESPN had on and he had some interesting comments about football and why it is a special sport, and why it takes someone special to play it.

Urban Meyer: "Nate is an excellent pro prospect". Todd McShay lists him as the 26th best player in next years draft ...

meanwhile over at the fan sites.

....... Oldmanhawk924687: "I'm not sure he'll play at the next level"
..........Iowaas$faceisalwayswhite "he can't win the big games, look at those over throws"
..........Flyowa "I'm not convinced Nate Stanley will ever be good"
...........TimDwightsDadcantrun69 "Nate Stanley folks, ya get what you're gonna get"

we all get trolled.

Nate's one of the best QB's in the nation this year. Enjoy him.
I don’t give a rip what the experts say. Still misses when he shouldn’t IMO. Still hoping it stops as Iowa could be very dangerous or it could end up costing a game or two it shouldn’t.

Time will tell but I watch the games and he isn’t as accurate as you’d like being someone w as many other accolades he’s earned. I think it’s mental.

Plain old unimaginative offense at Iowa. Brian Ferentz has done a great job in the passing game. Think about the last few years...we always have guys open. Remember every time we played a great defense...we couldn't get guys open...absolutely no separation. Ohio State a few years ago...open...MSU in the bowl game...guys open. He's got us much more sophisticated in the passing game...and we are scheming people open...and everyone is on the same page and knows what we are doing.

He's had some hiccups in short yardage and some third down choices...but no one is ever perfect in calling plays. That being said...I think he's pretty damn good.

Plain old unimaginative offense at Iowa. Brian Ferentz has done a great job in the passing game. Think about the last few years...we always have guys open.
We know you wuv BF, but...

Always have guys open?

218 pypg last year was about 65th in the fbs (with two 1st-rounders to throw to).

Granted that's better than before, but I don't think Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley, etc are copying the Hawks yet...