Updates from Basketball Banquet

I'm confused. He's (Moss) coming back to Iowa if he doesn't get drafted???? Last I heard, that's not how it works. Have things changed?

He can come back as long as he doesn't hire an agent but he also needs to decide before a certain date - the date is before the draft

I could be wrong but I think the feedback consisting of what a player needs to work on and telling them if they have a good shot of being drafted or not happens well before the deadline of taking one's name out of the draft. That's probably what Moss meant by if he "doesn't get drafted". It certainly sounds like Moss realizes he doesn't project to having a "being drafted" grade and is going through the process purely for the feedback.

I'm confused. He's (Moss) coming back to Iowa if he doesn't get drafted???? Last I heard, that's not how it works. Have things changed?
His quote was sort of misleading but I think he basically admitted he’s just testing the process to get feedback. If he doesn’t get told he would be drafted (which he won’t), he will be back.

I think you were on the right track. I think Moss or Emmert were confused. His final decision has to be made, not sure of exact date, but it's several weeks before the draft.

Sounds like Cook is definitely gone. But if he's already gone, why would Pemsl leave?
Cordell probably already knows what Tyler's plans are and I'm surprised the media didn't try to catch Cordell with his guard down if Tyler wasn't talking. Maybe that's why Cordell's interview was a little terse. Even if Cook leaves he's still going to be battling Kreiner, among others, for minutes and once Ryan finally got healthy late in the year he seemed to move ahead of Cordell on the pecking order.

Look, Cordell was the BMOC for two state championship teams and a runner up. This is probably the first time he has had to fight for something on a basketball court. He can respond one of two ways. And it will probably tell us something about Cordell.

Cook is leaving regardless, the way it sounds. That sucks. Lucky to win 16 games next season. At least the roster construction is looking better. But we'll be the youngest team in the conference again.
SRs - Baer
JRs - Bohannon, Kriener, Dailey, Moss, Pemsl (maybe?)
SOs - Nunge, Garza
FR - CMac, CFred, Wieskamp

I could be wrong but I think the feedback consisting of what a player needs to work on and telling them if they have a good shot of being drafted or not happens well before the deadline of taking one's name out of the draft. That's probably what Moss meant by if he "doesn't get drafted". It certainly sounds like Moss realizes he doesn't project to having a "being drafted" grade and is going through the process purely for the feedback.

I'm glad that he's likely coming back. He still has a lot of potential. But when you boil it all down, does a player really need to go to the steps of declaring for the draft just to get the feedback about what he needs to work on to get into the NBA. Wouldn't Iowa's coaching staff be able to tell him that, along with other people in the know? I mean most knowledgeable Hawk fans could tell him with at least 85% accuracy the things he needs to work on to get to the Association.

Cordell probably already knows what Tyler's plans are and I'm surprised the media didn't try to catch Cordell with his guard down if Tyler wasn't talking. Maybe that's why Cordell's interview was a little terse. Even if Cook leaves he's still going to be battling Kreiner, among others, for minutes and once Ryan finally got healthy late in the year he seemed to move ahead of Cordell on the pecking order.

Look, Cordell was the BMOC for two state championship teams and a runner up. This is probably the first time he has had to fight for something on a basketball court. He can respond one of two ways. And it will probably tell us something about Cordell.
I agree. It's not easy for kids that were the top banana all growing up to all of a sudden be coming off the bench as a role player... It's one thing to do it as a freshman and your just getting your feet wet but then again as a sophomore and it looks like that's what your future will be too... He probably was hoping for more than that right? Who wouldn't. So now he's gotta think about it and prioritize what he'd rather do. The kid isn't going to go to IL or another BIG or Big 12 school. Most likely he'd drop a level. Maybe not heck if I know I. But it'd be risky to leave here and be in same boat somewhere else...

Cook is leaving regardless, the way it sounds. That sucks. Lucky to win 16 games next season. At least the roster construction is looking better. But we'll be the youngest team in the conference again.
SRs - Baer
SOs - Nunge, Garza
A big point I've been trying to make. Get the classes balanced. Unless a grad transfer miraculously shows up we will be going into our third consecutive season with one senior on the roster. At least our juniors have been around the BIG circuit a couple times and played in some of those tough road environments.

I agree. It's not easy for kids that were the top banana all growing up to all of a sudden be coming off the bench as a role player... It's one thing to do it as a freshman and your just getting your feet wet but then again as a sophomore and it looks like that's what your future will be too... He probably was hoping for more than that right? Who wouldn't. So now he's gotta think about it and prioritize what he'd rather do. The kid isn't going to go to IL or another BIG or Big 12 school. Most likely he'd drop a level. Maybe not heck if I know I. But it'd be risky to leave here and be in same boat somewhere else...
Wichita State was one of the first schools in on him around his freshman year of high school. Marshall's top assistant was Greg Heiar, a Wahlert grad from the early nineties who some posters on this board may have played against. But Heiar left for a similar position at LSU last year so that option may be off the table too. Personally I'd like to see him stay. If he gets his confidence back there's got to be a way to use him. Expanding his range on the J wouldn't hurt.

Dick Vitale once said, and I'm paraphrasing, that getting the high school superstar to accept an diminished role at the college level while still making him feel like he was an important part of the team may be the single most difficult challenge in coaching. And that was in the eighties and nineties, not the mentality of the modern athlete, post social media and all. Fran is going to have a difficult challenge on his hands.

Last edited:
Wichita State was one of the first schools in on him around his freshman year of high school. Marshall's top assistant was Greg Heiar, a Wahlert grad from the early nineties who some posters on this board may have played against. But Heiar left for a similar position at LSU last year so that option may be off the table too. Personally I'd like to see him stay. If he gets his confidence back there's got to be a way to use him. Expanding his range on the J wouldn't hurt.

Dick Vitale once said, and I'm paraphrasing, that getting the high school superstar to accept an diminished role at the college level while still making him feel like he was an important part of the team may be the single most difficult challenge in coaching. And that was in the eighties and nineties, not the mentality of the modern athlete, post social media and all. Fran is going to have a difficult challenge on his hands.
No doubt. I wonder about Wieskamp coming in as well... Safe to assume he's not going to come in day 1 and put up 20 plus pts a game is he? He may not even start or play big mins to begin with. So it'll just be one more thing to keep an eye on...

I'm glad that he's likely coming back. He still has a lot of potential. But when you boil it all down, does a player really need to go to the steps of declaring for the draft just to get the feedback about what he needs to work on to get into the NBA. Wouldn't Iowa's coaching staff be able to tell him that, along with other people in the know? I mean most knowledgeable Hawk fans could tell him with at least 85% accuracy the things he needs to work on to get to the Association.

What the players who declare for the NBA draft, but don't hire an agent get is direct feedback from the NBA. The evaluation comes from the Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Here's a good article with the head of the program Kiki VanDeWeghe (who was a damn good basketball player himself). There's good information in here.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/...esident-basketball-operations-kiki-vandeweghe

What the players who declare for the NBA draft, but don't hire an agent get is direct feedback from the NBA. The evaluation comes from the Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Here's a good article with the head of the program Kiki VanDeWeghe (who was a damn good basketball player himself). There's good information in here.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/...esident-basketball-operations-kiki-vandeweghe
Kiki played on that 1980 UCLA team that we would have defeated for the Natty if Lester hadn't reinjured his knee against Louisville.

SRs - Baer
SOs - Nunge, Garza

and the whitest

No I get that but I still think you can get most of what you need from your own coaching staff. But I guess even declaring puts yourself in the mindset that you can go to the Association some day so why not.

Latest posts