Updated Win totals

deanvogs

Over the last 5 years ('15-'19) Iowa is tied for the 10th most wins of all P5 programs.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Georgia (all over 50 wins)

LSU - 48
Penn St. 48
Michigan - 47
Iowa -46
Notre Dame - 46
Washington - 46

Hayden's best 5 year run was '83-'87 with 46 wins.
Kirk's other best 5 year run was '01-'05 with 45 wins.

Over the last 5 years ('15-'19) Iowa is tied for the 10th most wins of all P5 programs.

LSU - 48
Penn St. 48
Michigan - 47
Iowa -46
Notre Dame - 46
Washington - 46

The Hawks have been very close to some more Top 10s since 2015. Would love to see them put it all together again like in 2015 with a 11-1 or 12-0 season but that is hard when the team is now putting guys early into the NFL.

Updated with Conference Title game appearances:

Alabama 3 CCG, Clemson 5 CCG, Ohio St. 3 CCG, Oklahoma 5 CCG or titles, Wisconsin 3 CCG, Georgia 3 CCG (all over 50 wins)

LSU - 48 - 1 CCG
Penn St. - 48 - 1 CCG
Michigan - 47 - 0 CCG
Iowa -46 - 1 CCG
Notre Dame - 46 - N/A
Washington - 46 - 2 CCG

If you aren't the elite of the elite (6 top winning teams) you just aren't winning your division. Iowa could make the case they are right there just rung below the elite teams (top 6 teams), but some on here think this is dog shit results over the last 5 years.

Updated with Conference Title game appearances:

Alabama 3 CCG, Clemson 5 CCG, Ohio St. 3 CCG, Oklahoma 5 CCG or titles, Wisconsin 3 CCG, Georgia 3 CCG (all over 50 wins)

LSU - 48 - 1 CCG
Penn St. - 48 - 1 CCG
Michigan - 47 - 0 CCG
Iowa -46 - 1 CCG
Notre Dame - 46 - N/A
Washington - 46 - 2 CCG

If you aren't the elite of the elite (6 top winning teams) you just aren't winning your division. Iowa could make the case they are right there just rung below the elite teams (top 6 teams), but some on here think this is dog shit results over the last 5 years.

I think the narrative gets spun a little, at least for me. I know Iowa wins 7.5 games a year (or more according this thread), but its not the wins. I like those. Its the style of play. Its the nepotism. Those are the things i dislike.

I have always said this is a fantastic landing spot for a coach. I think Iowa could get almost any coach they wanted.

Lets get to the Wiscy level. Thats all I want, if I cant have Alabama level.

Last edited:

LSU - 48
Penn St. 48
Michigan - 47
Iowa -46
Notre Dame - 46
Washington - 46

I agree in general. HF had 5 fewer games?

I think the narrative gets spun a little, at least for me. I know Iowa wins 7.5 games a year (or more according this thread), but its not the wins. I like those. Its the style of play. Its the nepotism. Those are the things.

I have always said this is a fantastic landing spot for a coach. I think Iowa could get almost any coach they wanted.

Lets get tot he Wiscy level. Thats all I want, if I cant have Alabama level.

I think that is what everyone wants, to move into the level of the top 6 (which Wisconsin is a part of).

I was kind of surprised there was a stark line between the top 6 and then #7-#15 really. Those 6 teams are blocking other very good teams from getting into the Elite club.

LSU - 48
Penn St. 48
Michigan - 47
Iowa -46
Notre Dame - 46
Washington - 46

So, are you content with Iowa's season? Or does it leave a bad taste in your mouth, wondering about what was close, what might have been, but wasn't?

Maybe more as Iowa played in a CCG one year, so I'm guess 6 more games.

KF is a solid coach. Actually quite good. What is odd is the continuing saga of having a broken piece or 2 that are hard to explain such as punting 2 years, QB who is amazing and terrible in same quarter...meaning really terrible and really good. No running game every so many years or no receivers.

Unbelievable O line or terrible O line with several really good ones. The extremes ARE unusual.

For about 5 years he made questionable decisions.....Doyle award.

But the guy has been overall solid with asterisks Take out a few of those items and Badgers would be looking up.

So, are you content with Iowa's season? Or does it leave a bad taste in your mouth, wondering about what was close, what might have been, but wasn't?

Content, what does that even mean? I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Do I wish we were Clemson or Bama or Ohio St.? Sure I do. I also have the ability to see that while we are not college football elite, we certainly aren't garbage. As the stats I posted show there is a handful of elite teams that go to CCG regularly and win 10+ games a year.

We are just outside that group, we have always been outside that group, and odds are we will remain outside that group. So while I would like to be in that elite group, I'm not going to lose my mind like some over not being in that elite group.

Last edited:
KF is a solid coach. Actually quite good. What is odd is the continuing saga of having a broken piece or 2 that are hard to explain such as punting 2 years, QB who is amazing and terrible in same quarter...meaning really terrible and really good. No running game every so many years or no receivers.

Unbelievable O line or terrible O line with several really good ones. The extremes ARE unusual.

For about 5 years he made questionable decisions.....Doyle award.

But the guy has been overall solid with asterisks Take out a few of those items and Badgers would be looking up.

Isn't that the rub though. How many teams are complete year in and year out? I'd say there are 6 teams that are like that, and that is why they average 10+ wins a year and have multiple CCG appearances.

Content, what does that even mean? I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Do I wish we were Clemson or Bama or Ohio St.? Sure I do. I also have the ability to see that while we are not college football elite, we certainly aren't garbage. As the stats I posted show there is a handful of elite teams that go to CCG regularly and win 10+ games a year.

We are just outside that group, we have always been outside that group, and odds are we will remain outside that group. So while I would like to be in that elite group, I'm not going to lose my mind like some over not being in that elite group.
So you are happy with the season's results?

9 - 3 is what I expected. I thought maybe we'd get Wisconsin, but didn't see us beating ISU at their house or PSU or Mich. Turns out we traded ISU for Wisconsin. Win the bowl game and Iowa finishes ranked in the top 25, which is where I want them every year.

9 - 3 is what I expected. I thought maybe we'd get Wisconsin, but didn't see us beating ISU at their house or PSU or Mich. Turns out we traded ISU for Wisconsin. Win the bowl game and Iowa finishes ranked in the top 25, which is where I want them every year.
It isn't a bad season, especially if there is a bowl win. Not Nebraska!!!

I like what we are moving forward, more than really any other time under the KF era. There is an obvious emphasis on speed and playmaking ability and remember so many of the skill guys are really young. The defense shows no signs of slowing down and our recruiting classes on both sides of the ball have been better the last couple of years than really any other time.

I still question the offensive line, but it has shown improvement over the course of the season and we have some very promising young guys. I don't even think it will be a huge deal to have a new qb because whoever that may be will have a lot of weapons at his disposal.

There have been a lot of improvements in this program since 2016 and it is showing.

Getting to Wisconsin's level is realistic and very doable with the right coaching and recruiting. Getting to an Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State level simply isn't going to happen. There are too many factors (location being the biggest one) that make that impossible.

I think the narrative gets spun a little, at least for me. I know Iowa wins 7.5 games a year (or more according this thread), but its not the wins. I like those. Its the style of play. Its the nepotism. Those are the things i dislike.

Lets get to the Wiscy level. Thats all I want, if I cant have Alabama level.

I don't even need to have Iowa at Wisconsin level. I just want them to be division contenders once in awhile. And in the time period being discussed they're 1 for 5. They're just never in contention over the last 2/3 weeks of the season.

Think about this, Illinois was alive later this season for Indy than Iowa was. And lets be real, the B1G West isn't very tough. Wisconsin has been the only consistently good team and they've been very beatable the last 2 seasons. They haven't had an above average QB since 2011.

They win a lot of games (including upper mid-tier bowls).....just not titles. Very, very competitive, just not championship level. Still, a program we can be proud of.