Updated ESPN report...not looking good...

You think ESPN is out to bring down Iowa?

They are only reporting the absolutely negative side of the story. I really think ESPN was looking for the doc to say that the players would not get better. The fact that he said they have an excellent chance of full recovery didn't really fit into the whole theme of their report. Did you watch it?

ESPN commentators trying to say coaches punishing players not training them. They think lawsuits will be coming.

Here is the deal. If the quote about we'll see who really wants to be here is accurate, then if this gets in front of a jury it might be hard to fight the argument that it wasn't punitive. Not saying it was, just that a jury might hear that as punitive.

The team would have to be able to show very clearly that the training did not deviate greatly from previous years.

The players that would be most likely to sue would be those who are close to graduation and who don't look like they are going to get a shot at the league.

They are only reporting the absolutely negative side of the story. I really think ESPN was looking for the doc to say that the players would not get better. The fact that he said they have an excellent chance of full recovery didn't really fit into the whole theme of their report. Did you watch it?

Wanna show me the positive side of the story? There are 13 players that have been in the hospital now for multiple days for a pretty serious kidney problem. Those are facts and they are not positive.

Wanna show me the positive side of the story? There are 13 players that have been in the hospital now for multiple days for a pretty serious kidney problem. Those are facts and they are not positive.

There's not a positive side, but it's being sensationalized and facts are being purposely distorted and ignored if they don't fit their agenda.

It's pretty easy to see that.

There's not a positive side, but it's being sensationalized and facts are being purposely distorted and ignored if they don't fit their agenda.

It's pretty easy to see that.

Again, what is "their agenda"? To bring down Iowa because they arent an SEC team? I understand ESPN is going to try to dig up what they can to get a juicy news story, but there are some pretty solid facts out there.

Again, what is "their agenda"? To bring down Iowa because they arent an SEC team? I understand ESPN is going to try to dig up what they can to get a juicy news story, but there are some pretty solid facts out there.

again..."their agenda" is to get eyes to the television and their website. The story is much more juicy when you sensationalize numbers.

To add: I have never said, and I don't think, that media sources have a hard on for Iowa. It is just simply the hot story during a time in which not much is going on in the media.

yeah we don't want any facts or frame of reference around here. Carry on.

Seriously, hiding behind the idea of providing facts is pretty freaking weak.

Try reading up on social support, or providing supportive messages. One of the key things you do not want to do is what we call a minimizing response. In this case, that would be like saying to a kid who is lying on a hospital bed with tubes in his arm, that even if he loses 40% of his kidney function, he could barely notice it. Sure that would make him feel great, huh?

Or how about his parents? Think that would make them feel better?

Seriously, trying to minimize these kids' experience as a way to fight some ridiculous media war is just not excusable.

Last edited:
Are they gunning for Iowa, no.

Our society sensationalizes everything to get better ratings, because better ratings or more hits on a website means bigger money.

yeah we don't want any facts or frame of reference around here. Carry on.

I don't care if it is noticeable or not noticeable. There is no reason to site it here, except to minimize the situation. And yes, that is insensitive.

No offense, but it is a frame of reference. Like I said earlier, losing 20-40% of your kidney function isn't a good thing nor is it something to tossed aside casually. However that number by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. You can, in fact lose quite a bit of kidney function, and not see any sort of symptoms, and if treated properly can live a perfectly normal life (even if kidney function doesn't remain). What we don't know is if kidney function is deteriorating further, which is certainly a concern.

As for the weight gain, in a previous post on this thread I did some quick math to show that these guys are, assuming the treatment is similar to the paper I read, getting something like 40-50 pounds of fluids being pushed their system. The treatment for rhabdo requires a lot of fluids to be pushed through, so that the body excretes out all the toxins and junk. However if their kidneys are glommed up with proteins, the flow rate out would be significantly lower than the flow rate in. Thus, you'd see a lot of water retention. Now, whether that by itself is a serious issue, or will work itself out, I don't know.

From an article regarding rhabdo, that talks about treatment...

Once the patient has reached the hospital, fluid infusion should be continued with the goal of maintaining a urinary flow of 200 mL/h. To avoid volume overload, it is recommended to alternate 500 mL of sterile saline solution with 500 mL of 5% glucose solution, adding 50 mmol of sodium bicarbonate for each subsequent 2–3 L of solution (usually 200–300 mmol on the first day), with the goal of maintaining the urine pH above 6.5 and plasma pH below 7.50 (1, 5, 6). The speed of infusion should be ;500 mL/h, while hemodynamic parameters and urine output should be monitored
closely
Also, it is necessary to consider that up to 12 L of fluid can be sequestered in the damaged tissue in the first 48 h, which explains the
imbalance (possibly exceeding 4 L) between the fluids that are administered and urine output.
Without further information, we can't be wholly sure what to make of these two claims. On the one hand, they could be signs of deteriorating kidney function. On the other, they could be what happens during the treatment and recovery process.

EDIT:
And no, CAAR, I have no intention of minimizing what's going on with these kids. I hope to God that they're on their way to recovery, and will be able to play football for a long, long time. What I, personally, am saying is that without any sort of further info, we can't know what, exactly, is going on in those two statements regarding kidney function or weight gain.

Last edited:
Seriously, hiding behind the idea of providing facts is pretty freaking weak.

Try reading up on social support, or providing supportive messages. One of the key things you do not want to do is what we call a minimizing response. In this case, that would be like saying to a kid who is lying on a hospital bed with tubes in his arm, that even if he loses 40% of his kidney function, he could barely notice it. Sure that would make him feel great, huh?

Some people actually like to understand what is going on rather making a knee jerk reaction. It you don't like it skip those posts which provide information.

No offense, but it is a frame of reference. Like I said earlier, losing 20-40% of your kidney function isn't a good thing nor is it something to tossed aside casually. However that number by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. You can, in fact lose quite a bit of kidney function, and not see any sort of symptoms, and if treated properly can live a perfectly normal life (even if kidney function doesn't remain). What we don't know is if kidney function is deteriorating further, which is certainly a concern.

As for the weight gain, in a previous post on this thread I did some quick math to show that these guys are, assuming the treatment is similar to the paper I read, getting something like 40-50 pounds of fluids being pushed their system. The treatment for rhabdo requires a lot of fluids to be pushed through, so that the body excretes out all the toxins and junk. However if their kidneys are glommed up with proteins, the flow rate out would be significantly lower than the flow rate in. Thus, you'd see a lot of water retention. Now, whether that by itself is a serious issue, or will work itself out, I don't know.

From an article regarding rhabdo, that talks about treatment...

Without further information, we can't be wholly sure what to make of these two claims. On the one hand, they could be signs of deteriorating kidney function. On the other, they could be what happens during the treatment and recovery process.

Quit hiding behind all that book learning and all them words.

And what would be the positive side of the story?

Some people actually like to understand what is going on rather making a knee jerk reaction. It you don't like it skip those posts which provide information.

See the difference between EDR's post and yours? He starts by acknowledging that the situation is not insignificant. Huge difference.

Say what?:confused:

Latest posts