Updated ESPN report...not looking good...

And what would be the positive side of the story?

The news is basically all negative (outside of the players responding well to treatment and their prognosis looking very good), so that is what's going to be reported. As it should be. But there's a difference between reporting things as they are (in this case, things are pretty much all negative), and sensationalizing for the sake of ratings/hits.

Some people actually like to understand what is going on rather making a knee jerk reaction. It you don't like it skip those posts which provide information.
Let's say this kid has lost 30% of his kidney function...

1. The university told the public (I can't say us) in the presser that the athletes looked to have complete recovery. This contradicts losing 20-30% of his kidney function.
  2. What happens if the kid loses another 20-30% of his kidney function down the road? He just lost his trump card.
I understand completely what you are saying... a person can lead a normal life with just one operating kidney. But are these kids leading a normal life? Are the rigors of being a D1 athlete/NFL player a normal life? The supplement, the fluid intake and burn off, the exercise, etc.

I'll stop the pi**ing contest now. I just do a lot of research in the area of social support and spend a lot of time focusing on communication from the patient's perspective.

It would be much easier if you'd just say you're sorry for being an *******.

1. The university told the public (I can't say us) in the presser that the athletes looked to have complete recovery. This contradicts losing 20-30% of his kidney function.
  2. What happens if the kid loses another 20-30% of his kidney function down the road? He just lost his trump card.
I understand completely what you are saying... a person can lead a normal life with just one operating kidney. But are these kids leading a normal life? Are the rigors of being a D1 athlete/NFL player a normal life? The supplement, the fluid intake and burn off, the exercise, etc.

1) Not really contradictory if it eventually fully recovers. I'm no doctor but I was under the impression that you could "lose" kidney function and that you could recover from it. Will it fully recover? I have no idea.

2) That would be terrible and I assume that's the reason they have been in the hospital for so long.

Not sure about your last statement. as again i'm no doc.

when it comes to a lawsuit...these kids acted on their own volition. its not like someone had a gun to their head.

we should be protecting our players, but i have yet to see that the program was negligent in doing that

And what would be the positive side of the story?

There isnt one but this is the kind of crap he is talking about:

According to one parent, Ferentz was "blistered" for not returning to Iowa sooner.
"Where were you?" one parent said he asked Ferentz. "How can you be out recruiting other kids? You sat in our living room and told us you'd take care of them."

It happened on Monday and Ferentz was there Wednesday night. The whole quote is ridiculous(and anonymous but that is another issue). So the guy can never leave Iowa City and if he does the moment something happens to a player he has to hop on a jet and be there immediately even though there is nothing he can do about it. The whole article talks about a parent or some parents and this is really the only actual quote. And never names any of them. This is hyping something up big time.

1) The presser was hastily organized at the time, the doctors may have told them the kids were responding to treatment, didn't seem to be getting worse, and would make a full recovery. Remember, a kidney function loss of 20-30% may not show any symptoms, and it's possible this was only picked up recently. Of course, this could mean that the kidney function is deteriorating, which would indeed be very bad.

2) If he were to lose another 20-30%, that would be bad. You can live without needing dialysis or transplants, however this doesn't change the fact that his kidney function is, in fact, deteriorating.

As for the 'normal lives' part, I don't know. Football players certainly don't lead normal lives as compared to a lot of people. Can players return to workouts, practices and games? What about with proper diet and monitoring of kidney function? I have no idea.

There isnt one but this is the kind of crap he is talking about:

According to one parent, Ferentz was "blistered" for not returning to Iowa sooner.
"Where were you?" one parent said he asked Ferentz. "How can you be out recruiting other kids? You sat in our living room and told us you'd take care of them."

It happened on Monday and Ferentz was there Wednesday night. The whole quote is ridiculous(and anonymous but that is another issue). So the guy can never leave Iowa City and if he does the moment something happens to a player he has to hop on a jet and be there immediately even though there is nothing he can do about it. The whole article talks about a parent or some parents and this is really the only actual quote. And never names any of them. This is hyping something up big time.

I agree stuff is getting blown way out of proportion, but on the other hand it would have looked a lot better for KF to cut his trip short and come back on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. And especially if it is true he was recruiting for the 2012 class and not this year's class. Sure he couldn't have done anything more by coming back a day earlier, but it would have at least shown some respect to the kids and their parents. We aren't talking about 1 kid going to the hospital and KF coming to see him 2 days later, but 13.

I agree stuff is getting blown way out of proportion, but on the other hand it would have looked a lot better for KF to cut his trip short and come back on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. And especially if it is true he was recruiting for the 2012 class and not this year's class. Sure he couldn't have done anything more by coming back a day earlier, but it would have at least shown some respect to the kids and their parents. We aren't talking about 1 kid going to the hospital and KF coming to see him 2 days later, but 13.

Yeah but what if we get that Ginn kid huh?:D:);)

KF will have to answer questions about it I just hate him getting killed when he hasn't even spoken about it yet.

Yeah but what if we get that Ginn kid huh?:D:);)

KF will have to answer questions about it I just hate him getting killed when he hasn't even spoken about it yet.

Simple solution for KF: speak about it. THAT'S WHAT HE'S GETTING ROASTED FOR!!! For not being there and giving answers. That's our company line, and at times it's quite tiresome. Get some of this stuff in the open, and it will eventually go away. Taking care of a crisis behind closed doors is not the way to go.

I would have been all like "*****, I don't even know you"

Say what?:confused:
Ah, an ISU fan, we really have to spell it out for these guys. What he was saying is that they didn't report that the athletes in the hospital were going to be ok, but rather are more interested in quoting an anonymous source, article after article, that the coaches were out to get their own athletes.

No offense, but this anonymous source crap pisses me off, and frankly has no merit. Why would a parent go behind the programs back their own son plays for? It doesn't make any sense, why a parent would want the program hurt, that their own child plays for. Does this really make any sense to anyone? Why wouldn't ESPN do an article with Poggi's dad, who was the 1 parent that stood up and answered all the questions, and said several times that he was happy with his son's treatment and how things have been handled, and how he had spoken with KF repeatedly, as an article. That's right, because it wouldn't be as dramatic. It's way too easy nowadays for any journalist to site an anonymous source and pass it off as fact.

I am 100% worried about the kids in the hospital, and their health should be the #1 concern right now. Once they are released then let's talk about what happened, who blamed who, and who is at fault. Quit the anonymous crap ESPN, it's amateur.

As mentioned by Poggi's dad he had talked several times to KF. Maybe, just maybe, KF is communicating with the parents and players who are involved and affected as his priority one and will make a public statement when all the facts are there. Whats he gonna say. We feel bad, lookin into what the cause was etc etc? No real answers until real answers are available and accurate.

Latest posts