Update on the Future of HN

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Just wanted to give you an update on some future goings on with HN

That subject line got your attention, right?

After signing day, or sometime between then and April 1st, I am going to tweak the site a bit.

I want to get to the point to where we have just four or five ad blocks per page. right now, we have around 10. I continually learn ways to produce the same revenue side results with fewer ads...there is always the temptation to earn more revenue with more slots, but I want to find that balance of revenue with the fewest ad slots I can generate.

This may mean some smaller ad slots or graphic sponsorships of forums for local advertisers...but those won't be large at all.

We'll also make it so things will be 'clean' or 'streamlined. I think I tried to have too much information and too many resource on the front page...its just too busy, and that is my fault. The designers gave me what I wanted...it will be much better with just a 'hawkeye resources' drop down like we have on the forums. I want the meat to be obvious and easy to get to. Sometimes all the bells and whistles are a distraction.

As it relates to the forums, we'll be changing out of vbulletin software and moving to xenforo. Here is an example of a xenforo forum:

UConn Men's Basketball | The Boneyard

They are sleek, clean, offer more functions and take advantage of social media more easily. They are also far more efficient from a resource demand side of things, which means better performance when you are browsing. Your post totals and what not will easily slide over, so no worries there.

I don't want to keep making changes for the sake of change, but I do want to make this site more efficient from a loading perspective.

The end result will be a visually cleaner site, one that loads a lot faster as it will be 'lighter' and more efficient, less advertising which will be easier on the eyeballs and the hope is we can do all of this without any loss of revenues.

The site will remain free to all visitors.

The 'long awaited' recruiting project will be live no later than August if not much earlier. It's presently being developed and will be finished much earlier than August, but this is not just a HawkeyeNation project. It's a macro level project where other independent sports publishers from around the nation will also take part in, which will help to make it one dynamic content offering for end users...and it will be 100% free. There will be a companion content platform project that goes along with it that I think people will really, really love (also free), but I will leave it at that for now as it's in the early stages of development.

As always, I appreciate you choosing to visit this site and make it a part of your daily Hawk-Intake on the world wide web. I am more excited and passionate about online publishing today than I was 11 years ago when I started in this genre and 2012 may turn out to be one real exciting ride.

Last edited:
Just wondering Jon...are you making a lot of dough off the Poise pads ads...cause they seem to be everywhere. I can't say I've done any google searches on that particular item or the issue it's supposed to help with sooooo...it's not me.;) :p

What about that cool recruiting function you were going to add? Is that in the plans? I'm still waiting for the "soon" as in it is coming soon part. haha

Just to save time I'm going to proactively say that I hate it and that I want the old (current) board back.

i was kind of hoping post totals would be gone for sake of getting you know who back...he probably gave the site enough hits to feed your family for half the year

I like many of the ideas, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the UCONN site format. I think your current format is superior. I guess I'm just more averse to change.

Jon, whatever you do please tell me these new features will not include a Star system to rank peoples posts. They drive me absolutely batty on the Scout site.

JonDieselMiller,

My 2012 Hawkeye Nation Legend t-shirt has not come in the mail yet.

P.S. I want an xsmall to show off my belly.

Thanks for the update Jon. We really appreciate all the work that you put into this site for the fans!

We don't support auto play audio at present. Out of millions of plays per month, a few hundred slip past the goalie. The video ads will stay

Latest posts