Until Fran understands proper substitutions...

Fran is so stoopid! He should bench the players who don't score and play the ones who do? Why doesn't he recruit teh players who want to win!11?!?1

This comment should be archived and brought out in a couple of years to check validity. My suspicion is that is the problem with a number of the players. Not all, but a number.

LOL....just LOL...second guessing Fran while sitting in you lazy boy is laughable...yes, I realize that this is what forums are supposed to be for...in a small way, but seriously, what are you going to say next year when we are even deeper and we see an eleven man rotation? LMAO

..and proper use of timeouts, we will continue to see more results like this.

He just doesnt seem to grasp that he doesnt need to continue to play 10 guys....this late into the season. He!!, Nebby didnt substitute a single time in the 2nd half and they didnt seem to have an issue with fatigue. And you cant take TOs home with you, so you might want to consider using them at some point. Coaching decisions lost us this game, plain and simple.

Dear Spider,

Please submit your resume c/o Gary Barta U of Iowa. We would be undefeated with you at the helm. I'm sure of it.

Is it possible that Fran is preparing this team for next year? I don't think we are a good enough team this year to do much in the tourney even if we made it. Why not let the players learn to play through tough situations? Why not do everything you can do improve the team and prepare them for next year when we should be even better?

I don't know how anyone can point fingers at Fran. If Nebby doesn't hit a desperation 3... Would people still be complaining about how Fran coaches? We lost some really close games this year and I will admit I cringed every time Ogelsby was our go-to option when the game was on the line, but I think people are forgetting that Fran is the reason that this team is worth watching again. I don't think he has done anything that would give fans any reason to complain about him as a coach.

We are just a few shots away from having a few more wins. If our shots fell/their shots didn't fall in those games... I bet all of these people complaining would be praising Fran for being a great late-game coach.

Please educate us with who this "one starter" is that apparently is causing us so many problems / losses?

He's referring to Woody. Woody doesn't play all that much... The point is, wait for it, superflous.

EDIT: wait, maybe he's saying if Woody played more, and was 'better prepared to play in the B1G', Iowa would play better?

Agree. McCaffrey could be the worst late game coach, well, since Ferentz. No clue what the guy is thinking running Oglesby and McCabe out there. Obviously he made two great offers to Clemmons and Ingram.

Paging John Wall, Anthony Davis, and Kevin Durant. Iowa needs you!

He's referring to Woody. Woody doesn't play all that much... The point is, wait for it, superflous.

EDIT: wait, maybe he's saying if Woody played more, and was 'better prepared to play in the B1G', Iowa would play better?

I'd love to hear the solution if Woody's not ready and that's why we struggle. People rip on Fran for playing Olaseni too much, and we've seen what happens defensively with Basabe or McCabe at the 5. Seriously, wtf is Fran supposed to do in that situation?

I'd love to hear the solution if Woody's not ready and that's why we struggle. People rip on Fran for playing Olaseni too much, and we've seen what happens defensively with Basabe or McCabe at the 5. Seriously, wtf is Fran supposed to do in that situation?
It was obvious that the Hawks needed to get some stops in the 2nd half. I cringed when he trotted McCabe out there. Woodbury,Gabe, Basabe, or my 80 year old grandfather would have been a better option.

It was obvious that the Hawks needed to get some stops in the 2nd half. I cringed when he trotted McCabe out there. Woodbury,Gabe, Basabe, or my 80 year old grandfather would have been a better option.

I do not get what Fran is trying to do with our true post players who i think have been playing well most of the season (no worse than others on this team). McCabe,Basabe and White are not posts and get chewed up at that spot.

I do not get what Fran is trying to do with our true post players who i think have been playing well most of the season (no worse than others on this team). McCabe,Basabe and White are not posts and get chewed up at that spot.
It's baffling. Post play was a huge weakness last year, i thought we had moved past playing McCabe there. He trusts Woodbury to start the games but not to finish them.

In my opinion, Basabe is our best post player defensively and offensively. He leads the team in blocks, 3rd in rebounds and is shooting over 50%. And from what I have seen he is hustling/working hard whenever he is out on the court this year. The problem is his lack of size when going up against bigger post players, but I think he does just as well, if not better, than any of our other options at this point.

Honestly, Basabe's vertical and athleticism make up for his lack of height a lot of the time. Woodbury's lack of vertical and athleticism pretty much take away any advantage he has with his height.

Having said that, I really hope Woodbury develops into the player we were hoping he would be. We need him to.

It's baffling. Post play was a huge weakness last year, i thought we had moved past playing McCabe there. He trusts Woodbury to start the games but not to finish them.

Could not agree more. I thought one of the principle issues we had in Gatens last year was lack of a post presence, defensively as much as offensively. It really bit us in the non-con in games like the infamous Campbell game. That athletic 6'10" player just chewed us up on the inside.

I could not have been more excited for Woody to come to town and I am pleased in what he has given us. When he is on the floor our defense is tremendously better. I have witnessed a number of times in Carver alone where a guard that is driving the ball down the lane alters his shot or stops his drive altogether when Woody is in the area. Last year guards went right in for the easy layups or we collapsed so much that they kicked it out for wide-open threes.

I also like Olesani as he is a freak athlete. Does he make some mistakes? Yes, but he needs to play more to get the experience to learn how to be more consistent. I believe he will blossom in time if he gets the playing time filling in for Woody when he is in foul trouble.

Fran should never put out a lineup without Woody or Olesani unless both are in serious foul trouble. The other element that we lose without either of these two players in the 5 spot is rebounding and the tip-outs / put backs that these two affect the game with by being taller and adding length to our lineup. Instead long rebounds that we cannot secure due to a small post player that end up bouncing back out to the other team for second and third offensive attempts which end up resulting in a 3 pointer. See Wisconsin game just prior to the end of regulation front-rim three pointer as one of many examples [McCabe was playing the 5 at that point on Bergerren]. We could have ended that game with one rebound.

Fran has to make a commitment to playing the big men in our program. McCabe, White and Basabe are not post players; they are 4's. I'm sorry if we have too many guys at this spot but I would alternate two of them at most at the 4 and occasionally play White at the 3. Whoever is not bringing it sits on the bench.

Best lineups; Gesell/Clemmons - 1, Marble - 2, May/White - 3, White/Basabe - 4, Woody/Olesani - 5. I do like McCabe's toughness but he's not a '5' and playing him there is killing us on most occasions.

Also.... recruit a couple of knock down 3 point shooters. That is the other killer issue on this team.

Bench is what rescued team against MN.

Thats what benches are for....to give a spark if the starters are playing poorly or to simply give a rest to your main players. But if you are relying on them to close out games...especially close ones, then youre in trouble. Theres no reason, barring injury or foul outs, that you shouldnt have your best 5 players on the floor the last 4-5 mins of a game. In other words, mccabe, josh, or gabe should NOT be out there at the end of close games.

As for the timeout situation, i cant recall a time under Fran that we've ever hit a tying or game winning shot when he's decided to let the offense play through....therefore, he might want to consider a timeout in those situations until he has a team/player mature enough to handle the responsibility on his/their own....just sayin....

Completely agree about the use of time outs (Hawks always have 3-4 left at the end) and substitutions. Woody sat on the bench with 2 fouls to give in the 2nd half. Woody plays good defense and rebounds. Woody and Gabe played 3 minutes each in the 2nd half. Why??? Oglesby, 0-5 baskets/attemts played 14 minutes and had a lot of zeros to show for it.

This baffles me as well. Woodbury is a force on D when he's in b/c hes HUGE and he hustles but for some reason he doesn't get more PT. And to those that say Adam isn't athletic, welp, he seems pretty darn athletic for a 7 footer for cryin' out loud...thats alot of body and its not like he's Kevin Durant or Dirk. What do you want him to do?? Throw it down like Vince carter between the legs first?

Latest posts