unprecedented highs and lows

theboat

i may be exaggerating but I would bet that no team in the last 30 years has been so high and then so low without an event or injury to point to. This team makes me not even want to watch basketball, which kinda sucks this time of year.

Unreal season. I went from mild expectations of a bubble team, to a possible 1 seed and big ten champs, back to a 7ish seed in the NCAA tournament. Whats worse is I have zero confidence in this team anymore. Whoever Iowa plays in the first round might do to us what we did to davidson last year.

The hardest thing to swallow with all of this is Iowa's starting 5 is 4 seniors and a junior. How does a team with so much experience collapse so hard? It is unreal.

The hardest thing to swallow with all of this is Iowa's starting 5 is 4 seniors and a junior. How does a team with so much experience collapse so hard? It is unreal.

They have a lot of experience collapsing and very little rising to the occasion and that has been going on for the last 4 years.

I want to see the rest of the starting 5 play defense like they might foul out before the end of the game. Even the great offense couldn't make up for the awful 3 point defense. Another game where the bench brought the team back and the starters lost it (well most of them).

This team went on a nice run and won a bunch of games only because they were able to avoid clutch situations. For this group, winning by double digits was much easier than winning by 2.

The Hawks also lucked out by getting Sparty and Purdue twice each before they had reached full strength and late season form.

Seeing this team for what it truly is, 12-6 is better than they should have done.

I am really looking forward to seeing if these seniors can win a game or two in the tournament next week and truly hope they do.

I am also really looking forward to have a fresh start with mostly new players next year.

I am really looking forward to seeing if these seniors can win a game or two in the tournament next week and truly hope they do.

I am also really looking forward to have a fresh start with mostly new players next year.
If they draw a team of midgets, maybe. Woodbury would still get his s#!t blocked though

i may be exaggerating but I would bet that no team in the last 30 years has been so high and then so low without an event or injury to point to. This team makes me not even want to watch basketball, which kinda sucks this time of year.

Good question, especially about the point of NOT having any injuries. An EPIC free-fall.

Good question, especially about the point of NOT having any injuries. An EPIC free-fall.

Well, they did lose Dale Jones, and he was generating some numbers. Who is to say he might not have made a difference in a few of the late season losses? Still, cant even look at an excuse like that. My gut feeling is that this team over achieved with the talent they had but equally under achieved at the end. I am sure I will watch them in the tourney but with a full glass of Jameson as has been my habit of late.

Yes, Fran brought some excitement back, and I am not ready to start calling for his job. But I sure hope there arent any long term extensions in the works. He still has a lot to prove, especially after this latest collapse.

I have learned one thing following Iowa athletics over the years, and that's not to get too optimistic. I don't get as excited as I used too, either. Now, excuse me while I go clean up the broken glass from where my glass hit the wall this afternoon. Whiskey doesnt stain carpet, does it??

They have a lot of experience collapsing and very little rising to the occasion and that has been going on for the last 4 years.

If I had to be on which team would collapse between a team who has never collapsed and one who has before, I would bet the farm on the team that has collapsed. These players feel pressure of a close game and pressure of a good ranking and fall apart. One think a coach can't teach is clutch. This team was built around this senior class. The team was built good enough to be great but the leaders didn't have it mentally. I just hope Fran has it in him to build another team with this high a ceiling. Maybe next time it won't be full of guys who choke.

I think the start in the Big 10 was a case of the team overachieving, and then expectations for the team ran amok. Recall they were predicted to finish 9th this year (don't forget they also lost to Augustana - I mean, Augustana!). They are playing like a 9th place team right now. In the immortal words of former Hawkeye Dennis Green - They are who we thought they were. It's just more acute when it happens at this time of the year.

I reserve the right (as a fan) to retract all of this when they go on their Final Four tear, starting next week!

I beg to differ with those that think that this collapse is a template for a Fran team - last year they finished strong, as the team did 3 years ago. With that stated, I hope future teams do not repeat this arc of a season (again- Ctrl/alt/delete this last sentence with the forthcoming Final Four run).

Last edited:

Latest posts