Unlikely Iowa gets into the NCAA Tournament

If Iowa doesnt go to NCAA's , I will go to Gator Country and cheer Gators to chop up anyone in Final Four.
images
( I will never support Clowns in Ames)

Iowa wins 18 games, but somehow that's good enough b/c they will knock off NC and Wisconsin, and by God, they will kick MSU's a$$......;)

Iowa wins 18 games, but somehow that's good enough b/c they will knock off NC and Wisconsin, and by God, they will kick MSU's a$$......;)
I'm with you on MSU. I would like Iowa to clean out Izzo's trophy cases and bring home the trophies. Bring back that chair Fran slammed and put it trophy case. This one needed to be cherished forever!

Only took 2 shots but his release was cleaner and quicker than Oglesby. But the competition was so bad (Longwood reserves) that it's pretty hard to tell. Based on lack of experience and not an exceptional athlete, I don't think he would make a difference this year. I do think the future has some good potential though.

Since no other guard on the team right now can even hit a wide open shot, I would say what Ellingson did was impressive regardless of compitition. :)

I do think he was 2-3 on 3's though.

Do you all really think Butler is that much better than Iowa???? They beat UNC handily, I think we will too, my prediction is 21 snd 10 this year!!

On the perimeter, yes, Butler is that much better than Iowa. Butler has wins already over UNC and Georgetown.

Like the optimism, but Iowa is going to need to prove it at some point against a good team.

Iowa's SoS is going to be so good this year that they should be in good shape as long as they can avoid bad losses. In the non-conference schedule Iowa will play 4 or 5 NCAA tourney teams (Syracuse, Texas, NC, ISU, UNI). In the B1G conference, they should play at least 8 games against NCAA tournament teams and potentially up to 11 games against NCAA tourney teams.

Iowa is going to have plenty of opportunities this season. I'm not sure why people are freaking out already...Iowa has basically played one bad half of basketball so far this year, which was the second half against Texas. Sure they haven't looked great at times against some of the weaker opponents, but they are still learning and its still really early.

The SOS is going to be improved and it will help Iowa. The 5 teams you mention are all likely to semi-likely NCAA teams. A SOS is fine and all, but you need to also beat some of the good teams. If Iowa drops all 5 games against Cuse/Texas/UNC/Iowa State/UNI they aren't getting in the tournament.

And agree on the number of games against good teams in league. But if Iowa enters conference play at 8-5, it will need at minimum a record of 11-7 in conference and likely 12-6 or better. When is the last time Iowa had a conference record that good? With the league at this quality? 2006 I guess? And the B1G was much worse back then.

Guard play is a bigger issue in the tournament than in getting to the tournament. I remember times in the first game back from New York where it seemed like they were conscious of how bad the guard play was and really tried to get them going, and the offense suffered immensely from it. As long as they try to hide the weakness, they should do fine.

Unlikely Iowa gets into the NCAA Tournament? There is absolutely no basis for this statement. None. The instant I read this I thought back to Nebraska's team last year.

Nebraska was 8-4 entering B1G play. The 4 losses were to U Mass, UAB, Creighton and Cincinnati. The wins were against Florida Gulf Coast, Western Illinois, South Carolina State, Georgia, Northern Illinois, Miami (FL), Arkansas State and The Citadel. Their road record in B1G play was 3-6. And finally they lost their 1st game in the B1G Tournament.

The above does not look like an NCAA Tournament resume but it was. So I don't think I'm going to worry all that much just yet.

I hate to write it, but from what I have seen from the guard play this will not be a tournament team. It is pretty obvious that you zone defend Iowa and your chances of beating the Hawks goes way up. The outside shooting by the guards is poor. Add to that Geselle and Ogleby are defensive liabilities. You need leadership from the guards in the half court offense and it isn't there. The problems that plagued Iowa at the end of last season are unsolved.
Funny, this is exactly what everybody said last year to.

LONG season to go. Boston College won at Syracuse last year. Sometimes good teams lose to bad teams (not saying we're bad.) One game doesn't mean a whole lot, just like playing like garbage against Texas didn't mean a whole lot. This game was just satisfying as **** and helps our resume quite a bit.

It is a long season, and the shooting HAS to improve on this team. Still there were many positive signs, the biggest being closing out a tight game (on the road no less).

I hate to write it, but from what I have seen from the guard play this will not be a tournament team. It is pretty obvious that you zone defend Iowa and your chances of beating the Hawks goes way up. The outside shooting by the guards is poor. Add to that Geselle and Ogleby are defensive liabilities. You need leadership from the guards in the half court offense and it isn't there. The problems that plagued Iowa at the end of last season are unsolved.

Looks like we have a Soothsayer, Clairvoyant.......send us the Lotto numbers please !!

Latest posts