University refuses to release records about Marcus Coker

I totally agree. The university should definitely release confidential student records related to a sexual assault case. The people of Iowa definitely deserve to have that information made public.:rolleyes:

This posting logic is why people on the Right are considered brain dead.

What does 0044 want ... pics?

And rightfully so they should. One, to protect the woman that made these claims. And two, there are no charges and we don't need to dig up dirt and crap on someone who is no longer a part of Iowa Football. Let the kid learn from any mistakes and move forward in his life.

What a bunch gossip-seeking hens...is this the local hair dresser where we all come to get the latest? It must be. Give it up, it's not public information and you don't need to know.

It's time to repeal these stupid privacy laws meant to "protect" students. With as much money as we were paying Coker, we deserve answers. We elected that running back on a platform of transparency, after all. Doesn't the university realize that we have passive curiosities about what happened? I, for one, DEMAND ANSWERS! FIRE EVERYONE! REPEAL THE LAW!

I go back and forth on this.....

On the one hand, I can see why the University would want to keep sensitive issues like this under wraps to protect the privacy of the individuals involved and I have no problem with that stance at all.

On the other hand, we're talking about claims of sexual assault that were made on taxpayer-funded property (college campus) and investigated internally by taxpayer-funded staff (University police, admin, etc). Given this, I do think that State of Iowa taxpayers have a right to know how these claims were handled and what the process was to arrive at the decision(s) that were made. Names and addresses can be redacted, if need be, to protect the identities of those involved, but still address the transparency that is required of taxpayer-funded institutions.

In the end, I think it's almost always better when institutions, such as Universities, err on the side of tranparency than of secrecy....as long as steps are taken to protect the privacy of those involved if they so wish to remain private.

The people calling me or emailing me are attorneys/lobbyists and are talking to present or past members of the Board of Regents. I'm just the messenger. More is involved than a sex case here.

The people calling me or emailing me are attorneys/lobbyists and are talking to present or past members of the Board of Regents. I'm just the messenger. More is involved than a sex case here.

Sure they are -- keep elling yourself that. But disregard the big white rabbit -- he is no good.

This posting logic is why people on the Right are considered brain dead.

What does 0044 want ... pics?

I am on the Right, so what does that make your posting logic?

If anything, it's a little tinfoil hat-like, and frankly both sides have more than enough tinfoil to go around.

I think some people just want to know enough to find out if Coker was 'railroaded' and guilty before proven innocent. Supposedly this incident did not take place on university property if that means anything.

We need a house cleaning at Iowa. Let's start with 102 Church Street.

"The University of Iowa is refusing to release records showing how its administration responded to a woman's sexual assault claim against running back Marcus Coker."

Read more: U. Of Iowa Releases Some Records From Coker Case | Fox News

It's called the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Institutions which violate FERPA may be faced with a withdrawal of Federal funding. However, loss of funding has not occurred since inception of the Act. Practically, an institution is unlikely to lose Federal funding unless multiple violations occur without any corrective action taken.

Latest posts