UNI says forget about the Iowa - Iowa State game

The Panther sports program is so cute. I think the purple and yellow football uniforms look adorable. I have no hate for UNI. I just think that if they work real hard, they might eventually move up to the big leagues.

UNI is just there. Not sure anyone really cares either way unless they actually play for UNI or they are parents of UNI players.

Chalk me up as another UNI alum that roots/has always rooted for the Hawks. I didn't attend the university because I wanted to get excited about the sports programs.

As a matter of fact, meeting many of the athletes did not enhance my school spirit at all. Most of the wrestlers I met were fun to hang out with, but most of the football/basketball players I had the opportunity to meet had a serious BMOC complex. It struck me as odd and something that would not serve them very well moving forward in life. These guys with average/below average intelligence and an overinflated ego surely had to know that they could not rely on their athletic abilities to provide gainful employement in the real world.

end rant

UNI is just there. Not sure anyone really cares either way unless they actually play for UNI or they are parents of UNI players.
Come to the Waterloo/CF area people care here. I got 4 separate bets on this game. None were big (5-10 dollar range). These bets were made even before last week with NO point spread. Could have taken even more bets. Their fans were lining up.

UNI Alum here as well, always been an Iowa fan first and foremost. I saw them thinking about moving up to FBS and thought "well they need the money." I know that the UNI athletic department and especially football has been a sinking ship, losing money year after year. I don't think they would be Savannah St getting their aces kicked week in and week out (see last week against Wisky?) but they also wouldn't be world beaters and most like would end up in the MAC.

Go Hawks! Go Panthers!

I guess I just didn't see it when I was there from 2003-2006. Most students that I ran into were Iowa, ISU or some other fan. It isn't/wasn't called the suitcase college for nothing. A lot left on weekends to go home or elsewhere. Maybe it's different now, but I didn't see it. Then again maybe it's just the vocal minority that outweighs the silent majority just like any fan base.

If UNI moved up to FBS, they'd be a .500 team in the MAC right away. Don't know if you want to think that's good or bad, but it is what it is. They'd take their lumps for a few years though. I have no doubt they could compete just not with BCS teams week in and week out.

The people who are pro moving up forget that in doing so UNI loses the player who is looking for somewhere to land. In which in many cases has BCS talent but for whatever reason it didn't work out.

The people who are pro moving up forget that in doing so UNI loses the player who is looking for somewhere to land. In which in many cases has BCS talent but for whatever reason it didn't work out.

So UNI is to college football what ISU is to college basketball? Transfer U. :confused:

Well without having to sit a year.:p

I haven't been following the offseason for UNI. What % of their players are transfers? And how does that compare to other FCS schools? My guess is it isn't much different especially when compared to some school down south.

I haven't been following the offseason for UNI. What % of their players are transfers? And how does that compare to other FCS schools? My guess is it isn't much different especially when compared to some school down south.

I don't know myself but it does happen at UNI as it does at all top FCS schools. The fact is they will lose that advantage if they go the FBS route. That advantage is one of the reasons top FCS schools are better then mid to lower tier Mid major FBS schools.

I attend UNI right now and I can honestly say the ratio of Panther to Iowa gear on campus today is about 2/3 panthers and 1/3 hawkeyes. Have not seen one piece of cyclone apparel. On most days it is around 4/5 panthers and 1/5 hawkeyeys. Then again I am a bit biased so the ratio may not favor Iowa as much as I think. Oh and btw, I can't tell you the name of any of the players on this year's UNI team. I won't know any until people start talking about the game next week.

I am a fan of UNI as long as they are not playing Iowa so I am not a big fan of that FB post. But on the other hand they are just trying get people to buy tickets to their home opener, so whatever.

I do not think the state of Iowa needs another FBS team, there is one to many in the state as it is. I think a move to the FBS would hurt UNI recruiting as they would not be able to accept transfers without sitting out a year. There just is not enough FBS talent in the state of Iowa to support 3 teams.

My dad was an Iowa Teachers College grad, so I will always have a soft spot for UNI.
Nevertheless, I hope my Alma Mater ****-pounds le Panthers on the 15th. :cool:

The main problem with UNI moving up is the cost that comes with is because if they add 22 scholly's to Football, they have add more to women's sports to because of Title IX. That's the one major block.

One of my buddies produced this image. He is a total UNI homer. One thing is for sure. He will be watching the game on Saturday. It is kind of like a car accident for them. They don't want to watch but can't turn away.

I went to high school and college with the creator. His name if Clint Fuller. He's harmless.

The main problem with UNI moving up is the cost that comes with is because if they add 22 scholly's to Football, they have add more to women's sports to because of Title IX. That's the one major block.
Good point, I forgot about that. There are a ton of reasons moving up is a bad idea.

Latest posts