UNI Panthers to Play Wisky in 2012

If only BCS programs were to schedule to the level of UNI. OOC games might actually be fun to watch again. I applaud them for the competition and the bank they'll be making.

apparently they are struggling in the financial department, so it makes sense. going to be tough to be competitive when you open up your season with a couple whoopings though.

UNI's athletic department is in a huge financial mess. That mess started under Hartzell's regime and now Dannen is trying to clean it up. The Board of Regents is also pressuring UNI's athletics to become self-sufficient, and they have a long, long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to schedule all of their nonconference football games on the road at D1 schools in order to reap the financial rewards.

It is unfortunate as UNI has done really well with the football & basketball program. But they are struggling financially and if they do not fix it soon sports like wrestling could get axed.

When they play Wisconsin (and ISU) I will be pulling for UNI. Go Panthers!

They are something like 3 or 4 million in the hole. I hope they try to get 500k for all their noncon games.

I think you really have to hand it to their coaches up there - in particular, McDermott/Jacobson and Mark Farley - for them to have such amazing on field success while the dept is in a perpetual state of financial distress, that says an awful lot about what kind of coaching job those guys have pulled off.

apparently they are struggling in the financial department, so it makes sense. going to be tough to be competitive when you open up your season with a couple whoopings though.

Don't count their chickens before they hatch, I remember hearing this two years ago when they came to Kinnick, and we all remember that game well.

Last edited:

Not so sure I follow you here. IMO, and many share the same view, playing superior ooc opponents actually may do more to get you ready for conference play then scheduling cupcakes with the belief that the conference schedule is difficult enough and then scheduling inferior ooc teams.
How would games against top level BCS programs not help prepare UNI for conference play.

Wisconsin must be really bummed that they cannot play Iowa anymore every year. So they picked the 2nd best team in the state to start a border war with.

Latest posts