Under Armour Balls

NikeHawk21

Do you think they have any effect on shooters? There was a ton of offline shots and air balls it seemed. Who knows Maryland shot awful too and they should be used to them.

I listened to Mike and Mike this morning on the way to work. Greeny wasn't there but Golic, C.C., and Tim Legler were in. They were basically mocking Iowa for whining about the basketballs being too heavy as if they used it as an excuse.

Would have been nice if they had actually read the quotes from the Iowa players more in depth. Jok, for one, said the UA balls were different but basically said they ball is round and bounces and they weren't using it as an excuse.

Lazy journalism is not good.

If the balls made any difference then Maryland would never shoot well on the road. Everyone else in the conference uses Nike balls. Jok's comment was exactly right. They are round and they bounce.

Never understood why the NCAA can't come up with one standard brand of ball everyone is required to use. Same with football for that matter. Makes no sense to have different ones. The shoe companies can still get their exposure with the Unis and other gear. No one sees the ball that close up anyway.

If the balls made any difference then Maryland would never shoot well on the road. Everyone else in the conference uses Nike balls. Jok's comment was exactly right. They are round and they bounce.

NW - also uses UA balls
UW - uses a sterling ball
I could be wrong but I believe Michigan uses a different ball, and potentially Nebby cuz they are an addidas school.

NW - also uses UA balls
UW - uses a sterling ball
I could be wrong but I believe Michigan uses a different ball, and potentially Nebby cuz they are an addidas school.

What I read last night was incorrect then...can't remember where. It said that Northwestern quit using the UA ball...last year or this year. And it said everyone else in the conference was using Nike.

Edit - Northwestern no longer uses UA balls. The article doesn't say everyone else uses Nike. It just says Northwestern was the only other team that used to be UA.

It's not an excuse... but it's interesting.....quick research.... 9 schools in the power 5 + big east use UA balls at home: BC, ND, MARYLAND, NORTHWESTERN, TTECH, UTAH, AUBURN, South Carolina, Seton Hall. Avg home losses: 2.2, and that's even with BC having 6 of them.

Last edited:
Iowa should go outside the box & use these at home.

51Je%2BJLoEFL._SL500_.jpg

I have kids who play hoops and when I asked them about the UA balls they all said the balls suck. Still, it's no excuse, but there is definitely a different feel to them.

Never understood why the NCAA can't come up with one standard brand of ball everyone is required to use. Same with football for that matter. Makes no sense to have different ones. The shoe companies can still get their exposure with the Unis and other gear. No one sees the ball that close up anyway.

Each team uses their own football's for games so no need for the NCAA to come up with a standard football.

I have kids who play hoops and when I asked them about the UA balls they all said the balls suck. Still, it's no excuse, but there is definitely a different feel to them.

I have 8 yr old boys who use the UA. Do you think they are more slippery than the others. Something is different. As stated above, I think there should be a NCAA standard ball.

What is used in the NCAA tournament, Nike, Wilson, Spalding ??

Last edited:
Do you think they have any effect on shooters? There was a ton of offline shots and air balls it seemed. Who knows Maryland shot awful too and they should be used to them.

One thing I noticed in the first half was how many times Iowa lost the handle on the ball, either in the process of bringing it up to shoot, or in transition, etc...then someone pointed out the Under Armor balls later in the game.

Anyone who makes the argument that a different brand of ball cannot make a difference has never played the game or shot with different brands of basketballs. Just sayin' I think the Iowa players were very classy in making no excuses. Typical Mike and Mike crap twisting what was actually said. Media needs a new gene pool.

I wouldn't blame the balls. The players didn't. Sometimes, you have off nights. It's just been a long time since Iowa has...and that has everyone thinking something else had to be at play ;)

Anyone who makes the argument that a different brand of ball cannot make a difference has never played the game or shot with different brands of basketballs. Just sayin' I think the Iowa players were very classy in making no excuses. Typical Mike and Mike crap twisting what was actually said. Media needs a new gene pool.

To me the texture is a real key. One can be much more slippery and just enough to roll off the fingers differently. The old Spalding TF-1000 is a good ole' standard ball. Used primarily in HS. The Wilson Evolution is a nice tacky ball. I suppose Nike is a solid ball as well.

I think it's akin to like when teams play in big arena's or football domes and shooting percentages go way down because of depth perception and line and site. Or teams that play on courts that are on top of ICE vs concrete and how the ball bounces.

It's not an excuse... but it's interesting.....quick research.... 9 schools in the power 5 + big east use UA balls at home: BC, ND, MARYLAND, NORTHWESTERN, TTECH, UTAH, AUBURN, South Carolina, Seton Hall. Avg home losses: 2.2, and that's even with BC having 6 of them.

Northwestern no longer uses UA balls...according to the article I read.

I know the different balls fell different. We have 3 different brands in our garage. I grab the same ball every time...Spalding. But I can shoot with one of the others and make about the same percentage of shots...after 20 or 30 shots to get the feel. Gesell said they practiced with the UA ball for 3 days. It's not an excuse and I think the guys were just making an observation...or searching for a reason like the rest of us.

Side Note - This is about that time of year that freshmen hit the wall. This could be happening with Baer. I don't think Wagner or Ellingson play enough minutes to hit a wall.